convertibles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71fastback

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportsroof.
While I'm not a convertible guy myself, If I ever was going to buy a convertible of any make or year, it would have to be a 71-73 Mustang. For some reason they just look so bad ass. "Our" body style just lends itself so well to the convertible look. Most convertible cars seem to say chic car but not the 71-73 Mustangs. You vert guys are lucky to have them.

X2

If I we're to get one, it would have to be a 73 with a 351 and a Top Loader! Black with a black top would be cool!

X2

If I we're to get one, it would have to be a 73 with a 351 and a Top Loader! Black with a black top would be cool!
Ahhh, so that you can have all 3 years and different body types right? :idea: That's awesome! x3 for me!

X2

Ahhh, so that you can have all 3 years and different body types right? :idea: That's awesome! x3 for me!
Haha...you got it!

I originally had a 69 convertible. I got this car was not because I liked it better than the 69 but because it had more interior room. I could not get comfortable driving the 69 (6'2" 250 lbs). I also liked the fact that I could get a 351C in this body style. My 69 had a built 302, but it was now where near as powerful as my 408 is now. I have had friends say the the 69 convertible looked like a girls car while this one is definitely not a girls car.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah! That's a nice thing to read! ::thumb::

I agree that as far as Mustangs are concerned the 71-73 are the best looking convertibles.

More important: I think that they are the only ones that really look good with the top up.

In fact I actually prefer the "closed" look on mine. I love that shape of the "C-pillar" the top has. Looks like a mean Muscle car coupe.

Most verts, regardless of make or model look like a compromise with the tops up, imho. Somehow you can see that they were meant to stay open and that the closed top is just a temporary thing.

The 71-73 doesn't have that problem.

Hhmm, how did I miss this thread when it was posted! I agree with the comments here, there is something about the looks of the 71-73 converts that never grows "old". When I bought my 73 6 cyl convert back in 74 I gave up a nice running 69 Firebird 350. But I loved the look of the convertible and have held onto it all these years. I never get tired looking at it with the top up or down!

I´m a fastback fan since forever but i must say you´re totally right... Verts always looks weird with the top up, but not this generation at all... In fact, me too prefer the asthetics with the top on... Just looking at Jorge´s or Luxtang´s convertibles and i have to admit they are beautiful...

Besides this era of mustang verts are the only era that look agressive as hell...

Congrats you vert guys!! ;)

The verts do look great but the real appeal to me is the smiles on my kids faces as their hair blows in the wind and they spy the world without walls from the back seat. Makes it all worth while. ;)

The verts do look great but the real appeal to me is the smiles on my kids faces as their hair blows in the wind and they spy the world without walls from the back seat. Makes it all worth while. ;)
You post reminds me of the Ford commercial introducing the 2005 Mustang Convertible. I think the commercial was first shown during the Super Bowl that year. Love this one:

Back