7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should 'fit'. Might not be an easy fit, might require some mods (radiator, mounts, exhaust, etc)
LOL...I can make a powerstroke fit in it as well.....but what I wanted to know, if a 67 mustang can fit it, can it be put in with off the shelf parts????factory install so to say? its a 15xxx orig mile engine and trans, car was someones baby till it got rearended....so I can get it CHEAP.......that's why im curious

Ha ha. Yeah, I dig what you are saying. Physically it should fit. I don't have a lot of knowledge on the BB side so I don't know if parts are interchangeable. I am pretty sure our Mustang never came with a 390 but we did have BB so depending on what engine family it is, the other parts (mounts, exhaust) may/may not work.

Sounds like it might be a sweet deal. Let's see what the folks who know say.

I love the 390 cid. It is a work horse that can put up with a lot of abuse and run when other motors would have blown apart. I've never tried to fit an FE into a 71-73 Mustang as I'm more of a stocker. However, as WillE pointed out the 390 passenger car engine was out of use by the time our cars were built, so I agree that it will take some mods starting with motor mounts and transmission. I think most guys here tend more to the 429 or 460 swap so a 390 could be a very interesting project. Keep us posted if you choose to try it. Just because it hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it can't be done... But that's easy for me to say. I for one would like to see how it works out!

hehe...I been wishing to see some one try this...I love the 390...Which is ford's real mid block....They use to put it in the older stangs that had way less engine bay room..Im sure it would fit just fine..But it just something i never seen anyone try..."yet"

When I changed a 352 (same as a 390) to a 429 in a Sunliner it was. New motor mounts were bolt in, tranny crossmember had to drill holes further back, and shorten the drive shaft. I would think you would need the same going the reverse route.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a lot of custom work - not just a bolt in with factory parts

When I changed a 352 (same as a 390) to a 429 in a Sunliner it was. New motor mounts were bolt in, tranny crossmember had to drill holes further back, and shorten the drive shaft. I would think you would need the same going the reverse route.
I was going to say I've done similar mods fitting a 70 351 C into a 79 T bird that had a 302.Same idea though ,modified motor mounts, exhaust , crossmember for tranny. Where theres a will theres a way right ? That would be a cool transplant ,I love the 390 too! :)

Thanks for the input, like I said, I dindnt know if other parts interchanged so I may give her a shot....I will keep ya posted:redlogo:

YES! It will work as I currently have a 1969 428CJ motor in "Fire" (my 1973 Mach 1) in front of a Toploader. Both have resided there for over 25 years.

The FE (332, 352, 360, 361, 390, 406, 410, 427 and 428) motors are actually shorter than the 429/460 (32" vs 34"), weigh nearly a hundred pounds less and share the same width and height (27"and 29", respectively). Externally, the FE motors share the same dimensions. The differences are in the bores and strokes.

At the time, I did my swap, the support for the 429/460 was not as great and I was running my Cleveland against BB Chevys and Mopars with some success. The change to the 428CJ was what I considered my best "big block" option at the time and it REALLY made a positive difference, with a LOT less stress on the motor and me:).

My "to do" list includes removing the 428CJ and installing it in a relatively recently acquired 1969 Mach 1 for period correctness and installing my 545 into "Fire.

So many projects and so little time, it seems:)!

BT

The FE (332, 352, 360, 361, 390, 406, 410, 427 and 428) motors are actually shorter than the 429/460 (32" vs 34"), weigh nearly a hundred pounds less and share the same width and height (27"and 29", respectively). Externally, the FE motors share the same dimensions. The differences are in the bores and strokes.

At the time, I did my swap, the support for the 429/460 was not as great and I was running my Cleveland against BB Chevys and Mopars with some success. The change to the 428CJ was what I considered my best "big block" option at the time and it REALLY made a positive difference, with a LOT less stress on the motor and me:).

My "to do" list includes removing the 428CJ and installing it in a relatively recently acquired 1969 Mach 1 for period correctness and installing my 545 into "Fire.

So many projects and so little time, it seems:)!

BT
I’ll go 100 % with you but I disagree from the weight issue between the 429 to FE. We’re talking from 20-40 lbs of difference depending from the application & used parts – been there weighted them. Ofcourse the two enginefamilys FE and 385-series interchange nothing, if you forgot the oilfilter, carb and aircleaner… 

Othwerwise I am saying that go for it, you’ll be surprised by the torque the 390 creates. They’re often stroked to 432 cid with success.

Here’s few links for a 432 cid stroked 390 FE burnout… check it out, close to 500hp on crank. Edsel was flying to low 13s on ¼ mile and it is nearly concours restored besides the engine, tranny, rear end with caltracs and the 17" cragars.

part 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back