URUGUAYAN FASTBACK

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
As everybody know... the desission of slowly try to collect all things my car´s missing in order to some day, get him into a factory stock restoration is kinda new :p

I had no idea my car was in any way "special" and i didn´t bother the luck of originality until a short time ago, that´s why my car is "incorrect" in so many ways..

This car has never been fully restored or anything like that... All metal sheets are factory (exept for front Valance Panel), Engine has been mantained but no major work there and interior is original too exept for some trim and the rear seat that was stolen to the past owner.

Well... Enjoy people!!

You seem to be on the right path to a historical restoration now! Definitely keep us posted!

I have enjoyed reading your posts, and looking at the photos of your shop. It is interesting to see the old buildings in another country!

So, according to Marti, your color is bright red? It would seem a shame to go and repaint what looks like a very nice car, although I suppose it could wait awhile? Also, I don't think I've ever seen a 6 cylinder car from our years. Is the 3 speed transmission the same as a top loader?

Look forward to watching your progress!

As everybody know... the desission of slowly try to collect all things my car´s missing in order to some day, get him into a factory stock restoration is kinda new :p

I had no idea my car was in any way "special" and i didn´t bother the luck of originality until a short time ago, that´s why my car is "incorrect" in so many ways..

This car has never been fully restored or anything like that... All metal sheets are factory (exept for front Valance Panel), Engine has been mantained but no major work there and interior is original too exept for some trim and the rear seat that was stolen to the past owner.

Well... Enjoy people!!
Kinda sucks though doing a full on restoration if you live outside the continental United States. I'm on the 50th State and most of the time pay more for shipping fees than the part(s). My restoration easily cost 3x what it would for anyone on the Mainland. I can only imagine what it cost you to have that valance shipped. Good luck with your restoration!

Well... Enjoy people!!
Kinda sucks though doing a full on restoration if you live outside the continental United States. I'm on the 50th State and most of the time pay more for shipping fees than the part(s). My restoration easily cost 3x what it would for anyone on the Mainland. I can only imagine what it cost you to have that valance shipped. Good luck with your restoration!
You are totally right... What´s cost to restore a car, propperly done is almost impossible...

That´s why any restored car in uruguay has at least 40000 dollars on it, and the cars are almoust made in China, as noone looks for nos parts anymore... you just cant afford them...

So, here in Uruguay you see 2 types of "classic cars"... The one which had been restored using all NPD catalog (NPD is the only sourse we can easily get here brecause there is a guy who travels to US 2 times a year and bring us parts from NPD) and the cars who hadn´t been restored at all...

I always value the originality of a car and i´m trully a fan of the old school so, i prefer to restore part by part than but it new made in China... (Besides, i have no money to spend... if i had 40000 Dollars iwolud buy a house :) )

Bottom line, a restored car in a country like mine it´s not as easy and perhaps, the product ended is different that a car restored there...

I´m lucky with my car because the car is trully good.... it has been unmolested and till now, unrestored... All i did to him was a refresh treatment on the original parts, some body work and a repaint but even the front lights are the factory original, and that is something i value...

For me restoring a car is more than make is work and look good... for me is getting piece by piece and try to save it... then put them all together... My way of restoring is something new to here and a lot of people agree with me that sometimes is more important to keep the spirit and the history if the car than make it show quality shine.

So, according to Marti, your color is bright red? It would seem a shame to go and repaint what looks like a very nice car, although I suppose it could wait awhile? Also, I don't think I've ever seen a 6 cylinder car from our years. Is the 3 speed transmission the same as a top loader?

Yes! the car should be bright red.. in fact, i think it was the colour it had when i bought it... but with several bad quality repaintings...

When i got the car, i couldnt afford almost any work on it so, i started to work piece by piece with the materials i had laying down in my garagge.

That´s why the car ended up Ivy glow... I bought this poaqrticular paint to do a 350 SLC mercedes benz because i love the looks of this colour in the 1969 Boss 429 so i was gonna paint the Mercedes that way.. Tha car is still waiting for a electrical issue so, i used the paint in the fastback...

Other example are the wheels... This wheels are 14 x 8" 1971 Ford URUGUAYAN MADE wheels!... Everybody here uses the 2000 Dollars magnum 500 or the 3000 dollars TorQ wheels on mustangs... Well.. i couldn´t afford that so i restored this uruguayan made wheels and i really like them!! :p

After the car was almoust done, i met you guys and i realise that my car worth a factory stock restoration some day... I´m not going to sell this car at any price in order to have the time and the pleasure of doing this unique for my country restoration, going piece by piece the best i can get... I´m gonna avoid new replica parts and slowly i´m gonna get part by part, what i´m missing... That´s my plan and that´s when your help is gigant... i´m alone here trying to understand a car that i don´t really know and trying to get parts i don´t know its existance and you guys are very VERY helpfull day after day...

The car is going to run this way because i prefer to repair imperfections in this wrong colour than in the final one... besides, i love to use it :p

Well.. we keep in touch! thanks for posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi URUGUAYAN FASTBACK ,

you have a nice and unique car, and i know it is much difficult to restore a Mustang outside the states. I have the same problem here in germany, sometimes i order parts and the shipping coast is more expensiv than the parts :-/ . I see how many work and time you are spend in your car, and the result is great.You can be proud.

I hope to see much more from your car, keep us postet

David

thank David!! i´ll be posting untill my boss finds out what do i do instead of work :p je!!

I have a question regarding some of the particular stuff on my marti report... See in the upper right part of my Marti report Sheet??... There´s a "replica" of my supposed Door tag....

the text is totally different than any "normal" door decal... is that what an "export decal" means on the option list below??

Thanks guys!!! ;)

I think thats is the "export label". My label look similar. I dont know ,the 71 and 72 label are different? We have to wait for an 72 Marty report without export label.

Back