Rarities and Oddities

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

There are bound to be several cars out there that have documented differenes from what was supposedly delivered from the factory. I'd like to see some of them.

My car has a couple of rare items:

1) Chromed sport-lamps: Apparently the first few cars had chrome-plated steel sport-lamp bezels instaed of the more-familiar plastic argent-colored bezels. Mine are the chrome ones.

2) Woodgrain trim on console: The early 71 mach-1 interior package included an extra piece of woodgrain that was apparently deleted from the the package very soon after introduction. It is a stamped piece of aluminum with the woodgrain texture and color printed on it. It covers the upper section of the optional console around the clock, and the lower woodgrain is a vinyl decal (like the decal on the center stack) that meets up with it to cover the rest of the console area.

Picture 1000.jpg

chrome sportlamps-InFr.jpg

Last edited:
There was a fellow last Friday evening at the local cruise in that told me that he used to have a 72 Mach 1 with the 351 HO. He said it was like mine except that it had air conditioning and automatic transmission. He insisted that He ordered it that way from the factory. I had a hard time believing that one. As far as I know air and automatic were not available with the HO.

Very cool ...I like oddities

I remmeber back before the internet and marti reports...Alot of locals thought the power windows in my stang was not stock..lol...Just cause they never seen them before...They made me think twice about them too...Till i got a marti report and internet...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kit,

I knew about the chrome sports lamps but the woodgrain vinyl on the console is a new one I've never seen or heard of before. Very interesting. You should submit that info to the 429 mega site since you are the original owner.

Your car must have an Aug or Sept 1970 build date. Do you still have all the original documentation? I'm collecting original documents for a new area in the data section of our site. We can black out the last of you VIN so your car isn't individually identifiable. Send me a PM & we can discuss.

Thanks,

Don

My car is Sept 70 build.

The 429 megasite has had a section on the console woodgrain for severel years, and my car is the one they documented.

There are bound to be several cars out there that have documented differenes from what was supposedly delivered from the factory. I'd like to see some of them.

My car has a couple of rare items:

1) Chromed sport-lamps: Apparently the first few cars had chrome-plated steel sport-lamp bezels instaed of the more-familiar plastic argent-colored bezels. Mine are the chrome ones.

2) Woodgrain trim on console: The early 71 mach-1 interior package included an extra piece of woodgrain that was apparently deleted from the the package very soon after introduction. It is a stamped piece of aluminum with the woodgrain texture and color printed on it. It covers the upper section of the optional console around the clock, and the lower woodgrain is a vinyl decal (like the decal on the center stack) that meets up with it to cover the rest of the console area.
On my 73 Mach 1 CJ, I "had" the argent colored bezels, used some rubbing compound to REVEAL the Chrome underneath!!!....Mark

The 73 sportlamps are quite different from 71-72. The 73s are actually the parking/ turn signal lamps and are on all models of Mustang for 73. They have a polished aluminum molding on the leading edge...looks like chrome.

The 71-72 sportlamps actually serve no functional purpose beyond mere decoration. The parking/ turn signals are below the bumper in the outer edges of the valance. The new-for-73 front bumper is so large it blocked those under-bumper lights, so Ford simply combined all the functions into the grill lamps.

The typical 71-72 sportlamps bezel is all plastic, with a few documented early chromed-metal examples.

I once owned a 64.5 coupe with a high compression 200 1-I6 , C4 and 3.50 rear end gears (Sucker launched like you wouldn't believe and ran out of steam at about 35mph). I bought it from the original owner who was a ford dealer and he claimed he special ordered it that way as a demo car because he had sold his 260 V8 car to a client and he wanted customers to feel the power of the V8. Of course this too was before Marti reports and that car unfortunately was eventually was killed by a drunk drive.r

Long time back I had a 71 coupe that had the center dash map light...right above where the three guage cluster would be. Never did see that on any other Mustang....anyone else see or have this?

Sorry I don't have pics, and I got rid of the old girl years ago. Really do miss that coupe.

Michael

Long time back I had a 71 coupe that had the center dash map light...right above where the three guage cluster would be. Never did see that on any other Mustang....anyone else see or have this?

Sorry I don't have pics, and I got rid of the old girl years ago. Really do miss that coupe.

Michael
The map light is a part of the convenience group option.

Another oddity is the back up lenses...some are clear and some are white frosted.

The 73 sportlamps are quite different from 71-72. The 73s are actually the parking/ turn signal lamps and are on all models of Mustang for 73. They have a polished aluminum molding on the leading edge...looks like chrome.

The 71-72 sportlamps actually serve no functional purpose beyond mere decoration. The parking/ turn signals are below the bumper in the outer edges of the valance. The new-for-73 front bumper is so large it blocked those under-bumper lights, so Ford simply combined all the functions into the grill lamps.

The typical 71-72 sportlamps bezel is all plastic, with a few documented early chromed-metal examples.
73 grille turn signal lights are chromed then painted argent.

It was easier to hrome plate the complete plastic part then paint the areas so the chrome is an accent - deluxe dash trim is done the same way.

There was no polished aluminum trim

The 4 piece outer corral grille trim is stainless steel

Another oddity is the back up lenses...some are clear and some are white frosted.
We had a thread going on this a while back. I believe the white frosted were not included on factory cars but showed up at some point the replacement assemblies.

We had a thread going on this a while back. I believe the white frosted were not included on factory cars but showed up at some point the replacement assemblies.
The repro lenses with Ford logo and SAE stampings have clear lenses

NOS samples were used for production.

I think the " frosted " lenses are sun bleached lenses -

Don

My car has the map light.

I ordered my car brand new with every option available at the time. It stickered at $5514.00

The factory would not install two RPO items I initially ordered: intermittent wipers and rear defrost.

Here was the explanation I got at the time:

The "hi output" alternator (65 amp I believe) could not handle the combination of A/C, power windows and defrost, so I had to kick one. I chose to dump the defroster.

I ordered the "hi-fidelity" am/.8-track radio which is pretty big behind the dash. I was told there was not enough room in the dash area for both the 8-track and the bulky control box for the intermittent wipers, so one had to go. I wanted "state of the art" music, so I dumped the wiper option. I have kicked myself over that for 40 years!

Hey Kit,

I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying, but they may have been telling you a story or it could have been different in 71 then in 73. My car came with AC, power windows, and the electric rear window defroster. Chech out my Marti...

Wouldn't mind seeing your marti report if you can post it...Jeff8877's car has the most options i ever seen on any mustangs marti report..I like reading them..Specialy the rare ones...most are 1 of 1 cars anyways by that point..lol..Btw stangcoupe...We got the same amount of options ordered..lol...We both got 18 options on are reports ...Was just checking yours out..Vinyl top too...We need to had a 1 of 1 club hehehe..jk

Back