"brake light" light is on

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hi,

I fired up my mustang for the first time in a few months yesterday. It ran fine. Today I fire it up and my brake light light is on. Checked the fluid, it was very low, so I topped it up. Checked the parking brake, and it is fine (the car rolls).

Can anyone offer some suggestions? Not even sure when the brake light on my mustang "means"... are my fluids low or is the parking brake engaged?

Thanks!

If its the light in the tach it means your brake valve has shifted off center. You can pretty easily do a search to find how to re-center your brake valve. You'll want to do it soon as most likely it means half your brakes aren't working. Have you checked for leaks that would explain the lost fluid?

Supposedly the off center valve should not affect braking ability, but it does indicate a loss of pressure either up front or in the rear. Which bowl in the master cylinder was low?

That should tell you where to initially look for the leak.

Once you have fixed the leak, you can re-center the valve by loosening the line from the distribution block opposite the leak side and hit the pedal. You should have the power keyed on so you can see the light go out when the valve re-centers. (See the manual) Unfortunately this will also squirt brake fluid everywhere. Wrapping a rag around the block will help contain some of the fluid.

Good luck.

You should have the power keyed on so you can see the light go out when the valve re-centers. (See the manual)
+1, but also, I would recommend disconnecting your coil if you're going to leave the ignition keyed on for a long period of time, depending on the condition of the points (Open or closed) you can run a lot of juice through the coil and ruin it (almost did this on mine) just pull the connection from the starter solenoid to remove any worry. (Just don't forget to reconnect it before you go to start the car again!)

Back