Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Some have indicated the questions have been "too easy" so this week's question is going to be a little bit different - - not as easy to google.

As some of you are probably aware, the mustangs built between 71 and 73, had two different axles available - - 28 spline and 31 spline. The question this week is:

What is the difference in length of the 28 spline axles from the 31 spline axles and what was the effective period of manufacturing for any changes?

I will see how long it takes to get the correct response for this one:)!

BT

if i understand correctly the difference in length was 2 inches I think. Not 100% positive. And pre 71 axles had a concave oval in the middle of the flange. And post 71 didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
GOOGLE HAS FAILED ME HAHAHA

please specify what you mean by [ the effective period of manufacturing for any changes?} I am a little confused by the wording haha

Last edited by a moderator:
This amounts to a hint:

There is a difference in length (of one or the other) of the 28 spline or 31 spline axles on the 71 - 73 mustang. This difference in length was reconciled after a certain date.

The question has to do with the difference in length between the two sets of axles and at what point was the "difference" reconciled.

I guess this one is a bit more difficult, huh?

BT

...and Nance, you are correct on the date of the change!

So what is the difference in length between the 28 and 31 spline axles??

BT

Considering the difficulty of the question, I will submit that you are correct in your response.

As far as the question is concerned, the difference in axles length prior to 12-15-1972 is 3/32" on the right axle.

Prior to that date, the length of the right axle on the 28 Spline was 31 7/8"...the left axle was 27 13/16" long.

The 31 Spline axles were consistent at 31 25/32" on the right axle and 27 13/16" on the left axle throughout the period.

If you do the math, 7/8" equate to 28/32" which means the 28 Spline right axle (31 7/8") is 3/32" longer than the 31 Spline right axle (31 25/32") made prior to 12-15-72 on the 71 - 73 mustangs.

GREAT job, Nance - - this was not an easy question!

Source: Hollander Interchange Manual

BT

Back