Mach 1 not fun lately

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 460 crites headers,summit cam ,edelbrock dual plane hi-rise intake,edelbrock 780 carb,C-6 trans,Pertronix flamethrower 2 billet distributor & coil
I know, it's hot everywhere. Yesterday took the stang up to the local store , for us Mainers when it's 90 something degrees + more than 70% humidity we"re trying to climb under the nearest rock. I"ve decided a bigblock car w/ headers, black vinyl interior and no A/C is not all that enjoyable to cruise around in, I believe this winters project is an air conditioning transformation! :(

I hear ya! I feel the same way. The Mobile 90-95+ temps and 95-100+ humidity make a non-A/C car horrible. Driving it to work in the morning is ok but come 3pm; I'm soaked in sweat by the time I get home 30 minutes later.

I want to convert to a factory A/C setup with a modern compressor so I can have the correct controls. Have the parts except the new compressor, just fearing cutting out the strange shaped hole in the firewall.

I know, it's hot everywhere. Yesterday took the stang up to the local store , for us Mainers when it's 90 something degrees + more than 70% humidity we"re trying to climb under the nearest rock. I"ve decided a bigblock car w/ headers, black vinyl interior and no A/C is not all that enjoyable to cruise around in, I believe this winters project is an air conditioning transformation! :(
Ditto..Here..No a/c in a muscle car in N.England sucks..I can't even drive mine..After 10 minutes I'm done..Been looking at the perfect fit system

I recently decided I'm going with a/c in mine. I was on the fence about it because I'm such a performance nut but it will be for the best.

I drove it daily with no a/c for 7 years in the North Carolina/Georgia heat and humidity. So much that I actually got used to it.

there is a special place in hell for all the people that took the A/C equipment out of 71-73 mustangs.

there is a special place in hell for all the people that took the A/C equipment out of 71-73 mustangs.
I'm cursing FORD , for never putting one in mine !

Mine came with factory A/C but the PO cut all the hoses and the condenser (or evaporator I forget which is which) looks like someone took a blender to the bottom three inches of it. I will most certainly be putting it back in the car with all new equipment before long though.

Today is was 106 Degrees here (About 120 in the garage) no way I'm doing that in a car with no A/C

Vinyl seats anywhere hot are not fun. Even though mine aren't black (cause I would call that crazy in this state) right now it's sorta the same deal here in CA, it's been in the high 80's all week this week, and while my car does have A/C (the stock/factory unit) it's not working so well (I think I need to have it charged). Though the evenings have been more or less ok. You do not want to run it during most of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Restoring the A/C is on my to do list. No A/C will not keep me from driving it though, I'd rather drive it with the top down in heat and humidity than my Ranger with good cold A/C.

Mine came with AC. I fixed it, even put in a Sandeen compressor. Ended up pulling the compressor and lines. The rest is still in place.

First off, it's not a daily driver. I usually only run it when the weather is nice.

Second, it's a convertible. I normally run with the top down.

Third. It worked great but the car isn't sealed well enough so if I was moving the air circulation impacted the effectivness of the AC.

I was commenting to my mother last week when the AC went out in her Buick about how did we get along back before we had AC in our cars. Like anything else, I guess once we have it, it's hard to do without.

I started driving about 1970 and did not own a car with A/C until about 1987!

I haven't driven my car in the Past week, its not the heat 90+, its the humidity 70% + that kills me.

I would like to add one of the underdash kits they have, but its $$$$$

I haven't driven my car in the Past week, its not the heat 90+, its the humidity 70% + that kills me.

I would like to add one of the underdash kits they have, but its $$$$$
I"m debating that too Iyman. Mine will never be a show car so I'm thinking about the underdash unit. I found 1 that is 16X12X5 inches I wonder if that could be made to fit under the pass. side? Complete kit $750.

Back