1971 Mustang leaf springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible Mustang 351 C 2V H Code automatic transmission
Hi

Could someone tell me which brand and type of leaf springs should I buy for my convertible 1971 Mustang 351 Cleveland ?

I've seen different types to lowering or raise the level of the car

I'd like to rise my car a litlle bit because the actual leaf springs are old but I don't know much about it and how much I have to raise the car

Could someone tell me more about it ?

Thanks a lot

Ciao

Dallas

PD

I post some pix of my leaf springs

Reggio nell\'Emilia-20130618-01380.jpg

I had springs that were in really bad shape, a lot like yours. I put on a pair of 4-leaf springs, that are supposed to be similar to original. With the new springs, my rear end came up almost 2 inches.

Ok but which brand ?

How much did you pay ?

Thanks

Looking at the picture you posted your leaf springs are worn out and once a leaf spring looses its arch and flattens out it wont even compress as much losing the height and ride comfort. Once you buy new springs I agree with CZ-75, the car should raise as the leaf spring will be slightly arched. Another good way to tell is shackle angle, a good set of leaf springs on an unbentt car will have a 90 deg shackle angle to the frame, i bet your shackles are arched more toward the rear of the car.

So which new leaaf springs do you suggest to buy ? Eaton ? Which model ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Dallas

Hello Dallas,

Check out Eaton Detroit Spring’s website and click on the Spring Tech University. There, they have a lot of good info on Leaf spring technologies. They can help you determine on what to look for in purchasing your replacement leaf springs.

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

mustang7173

The set I bought was labeled with 3 letters... something like JLS but I can't remember. I bought the set from a local shop that specializes in mustangs called KAR. I am sorry, I do not remember the brand other than it had three letters like JLS or something like that. I paid less than $200 for 2 springs, 2 shackles, 4 U-bolts and 2 I-bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas,

We have a very knowledgeable parts guy, Don at Ohio Mustang. http://www.ohiomustang.com/. He should be able to help. I also use www.cjponyparts.com. They are also a good place to start.
Are you really in Italy????

There used to be shops that would RE-ARCH your springs. That way you had some say into how high/low your car sat.

Yes I'm from Reggio Emilia Italy I live here but I didn't find any shop to re-arch my leaf springs

The problem is that nowadays in Italy there aren't old school mechanix with a real passion for cars and engines and above all thenew generation doesn't know nothing about real cars

I tried to ask to all the mechanix that I know about the re arching of the leaf springs but without any positive response

They don't want to do jobs as re arching becasue they don't have any economic advantange as margin profit and also because they don't know how the job should have done

To give you an example I replaced my fuel tank with sending unit and floating I bought the tank in Los Angeles when I was there in April for business and I instaleld in about 1 hour

I asked to a mechanic here in Italy how much it would cost the installing of the tank and he told me 600 euros that means about 800 USD !!!

Can you believe it ???!!!

Thanks a lot

Appreciated

Thanks a lot

Appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again Tubo comes out from left field.

I have Flex-Form fiberglass monoleaf rear springs on my 65 2+2. The change in ride quality is nothing short of fantastic. Fibergalass reacts more quickly than steel, and makes for a much more suppile ride.

For the 73 vert the only thing holding me back, is the long range plans to install a Coyote 5.0, with the probability of going to a torque arm or 4 link rear & panhard. which would not be compatible with the monoleafs. I am talking with Mike Maier(Maier Fiberglass & suspension) to check on incorporating the monoleafs other rear suspension up grades.

If I was sticking or end up doing so, the Flex-forms are automatic go to's for me. Each set of springs is custom built, you specify spring rate and ride height. $425 is a bit pricy for just leaf springs, these do so much for ride quality and stance they're worth every penny.

http://www.flex-form.com/products.asp

bushing.jpg

Yes I'm from Reggio Emilia Italy I live here but I didn't find any shop to re-arch my leaf springs
Hey...I've been to Reggio Emilia many times. Do you know Maria and Tony Bonagucci?

They had 3 kids. Tony Jr, Poppo and Frank.

Nah...just kidding.

Hi Wolverine

No I don't know them but last time you will be in Reggio Emilia, tell me something ha,ha,ha

Ciao

The Eato Detroit site is very informative even if you dont buy from them. Whatever you choose i would encourage you to look at the del-a-lum leaf shakle kit. They were not cheap but made my rear springs work better and will not cause any squeeking or binding of the shakle bushings. Makes your shocks work better as well. The rear hop over expansion joints on highway turns went away on my vert after i installed the shakles. Not the same as a watts linkage with fully adjustable shocks, but an improvement on a street car nonetheless.

I purchased a mid-eye 5 leaf which lowers the car by 1" and bought 1" lowered front coils. Everything came from Laurel Mountain Mustang.

Be wary, if you do a lot to lighten the engine you will encounter super stiff springs. Mine looked like it was trying to pull the front tires off of the ground even with the motor set back in it. Seems that the new aluminum heads, headers, and intake really lightened things up.

I eventually called Eaton springs and they made me front coils out of lighter wire and stated that they would adjust them to my liking. They were great people and the front coils turned out fine.

Concerning the 5 leaf rears....don't plan on a comfy ride, they are really stiff.

If I were buying rear leafs alone I would go with Eaton due to the great customer service I received.

This is sort of a hijacking of a thread but oh well. I got a 4-leaf spring kit off of Ebay from Laurel Mountain Mustang. Total price from Ebay with shipping was $189. You have to bid $159 and wait a day or two plus pay $30 shipping. Laurel Mountain Mustang sells them for $177 plus shipping on their website so I consider it an even better deal. CJPonyparts has the same item for $226.

I swapped them out in about 4 hours solo and the stock 4-leaf springs raised my 72's sagging rear end up 1.5 inches. All in all, a decent project with no major hiccups other than the typical rusty bolts (which I sprayed with PB Buster 3 days prior). I used the instructions from CJPonyparts under the same item.

If your back end is sagging, I recommend this fairly quick and straight forward project.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-1973-MUSTANG-LEAF-SPRING-KIT-STOCK-RIDE-HEIGHT-ORIGINAL-STYLE-/121196075692?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1972%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item1c37d95aac&vxp=mtr

Dallas,

Everybody here has provided some good feedback on this subject. I believe that OpiemusRex's feedback about calling Detroit Eaton springs would be a good choice. Even if you do not buy from them, it is good information to know. I have a good friend who has 1 1972 Mustang Convertible, 351C-4V with A/C, installed some type of new leaf springs, it is sitting up 1.5 inches higher above the rear tires and it is a lot stiffer than he likes.

According to information that I has read concerning auto springs, they are designed to hold the vehicle up to a certain height and ride ability per design of the manufacture. The sway bars are the ones to improve to get better handling from your automobile. That is my 2 cents worth!

Spring Rate is the key!

Please provide us some feedback on what your final solution is.

Here is the Detroit Eaton for 1971 convertible with 351-2V engine:

2wghbsz.jpg

mustang7173 :D

Back