429 Oil Dipstick length??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 429 cu. in. C6 Auto
2007 Mustang GT Convertible 2002 Lincoln Continental
2006 Toyota Corolla S Type
2006 Honda Goldwing
Hello All, I need a verification on the length of the oil dipstick for a 429. When I bought the car the guy said had an 8qt milodon oil pan! I didn't pay much attention when I bought the car just pulled out the DS to check the cleanliness of the oil. Well I fired the engine up a few weeks ago and when I cracked the throttle hard I noticed oil buildup on the top of the block near the dizzy. So last night I pulled the DS out and the level was wayyyyy to high! So I got Underneath her this morning and yes it is a milodon pan but it looks like a 5qt pan not an 8qt pan. I looked up every Milodon pan I could find on the web and none of them for this engine in an 8qt size looked like the one on mine. It looks like all the 5qt pans I saw. Sooo before I replace the oil I wanted to ensure the dipstick is the correct length. Pretty sure it's a 5qt but wanted to make sure. Having the oil overfilled by 3qts. Would definitely cause oil to shoot out the dipstick tube. Thanks for your assistance!!!!!

If you know whether the 429 & 460 are supposed to be the same length , I can measure mine for you. Mine is supposed to be the stock pan.

Did Milodon give you any info on how many pans they make for the engine? They are pretty friendly if i recall. If they say its 5qrts then put in 5 and look at the stick...then warm it up and add another for the filter, no?

Yes I believe their the same! Same block just different stroke/bore.

I didn't call Milodon just looked at all available pans I could find on the web. I'm 99% sure it's 5 qts. Just wanted to verify that the DS in it was correct! I'll probably just change it tomorrow and go off of the dipstick levels!

O.K. ... My dipstick from the top of the cup that goes over the tube to the bottom is 21.75 inches. 20.25 inches from the top of said cup to full mark and 21 inches to the add mark. hope that helps.

Eric

Well I measured mine and it is 16.5" to the full mark and 17" to the low mark! Didn't get a chance to change the oil today and the wife and I are off tomorrow morning to spend a week in the Tennessee Mountains!!! So I'll figure it out next Sunday!! Thanks for your help!!

Well I measured mine and it is 16.5" to the full mark and 17" to the low mark! Didn't get a chance to change the oil today and the wife and I are off tomorrow morning to spend a week in the Tennessee Mountains!!! So I'll figure it out next Sunday!! Thanks for your help!!
That's quite a difference. Obviously diff. depth in the bases or dipstick tubes. No problem for the help, sorry I really wasn't any.

I'm not gonna discuss it even compare the length of my dipstick with you. :p
It"s no worse than everyone telling 69rustang he has a nice woody! rofl

I would say they should all be the same distance (to the 'full' mark from the top stop). The oil reservoir height relative to the deck should always be the same, regardless of how deep and wide the reservoir is, no?

I would say they should all be the same distance (to the 'full' mark from the top stop). The oil reservoir height relative to the deck should always be the same, regardless of how deep and wide the reservoir is, no?
I have the cj/scj distick and a standard dipstick. The cj dipstick fullmark is about 2 qts higher. I think it is because when the engine is running there is at least a quart of oil in the top end of the engine. I will add another post when I do an oil change and make an accurate comparison.

Milodon used to make a 7qt pan but now they just offer a stock replacement. Canton makes a 7qt pan currently. The milodon 7 qt pan has a 2" section welded in to extend the sump depth. It is easily recognizable.

Staci

Back