Can you guess what these switches do?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mach 1. I am the second owner.
I bought this car a couple of years ago from the daughter of the original owner. I thought this box was for the alarm system but I never put it through the test. I don't like throwing switches if I do not know what they are for.

I just had some electrical issues taken care of and the alarm system pulled. That is how my electrician found out what they are for.

Any guesses?

Hint each switch controls something completely different.

Ginger Photo.jpg

At least they didn't chunk out some holes for those switches in the dashboard itself. :D

Switch 1 with the light is the brake light defeat switch for when they ran from the cops and didn't want them to see brake lights.

Switch 2 is for the linear amp that was hooked to the CB.

oil slick on/off , turn off brake lights.

any shine in the boot?

Great guesses.

The little switch to the right is to switch from the regular horn to the air horns the original owner installed.

The big switch with the light is for the rear window defogger. It was not on the Marti Report as one of the options. It is possible she wanted it and it did not get installed at the factory and the dealership did it. I will never know for sure.

Umm be careful with a rear defroster if it really is after market it should have a timer on it for about 5-7 minutes.

Some people just hooked up a switch to the window defrost grid and then they would switch it on and sometimes forget about it. The grid starts to get hot and acts like a big resistor or soldering iron. You can cause a fire or pop the rear window on a cold day.

Some idiot did that on my car when I got my car somebody had installed a rear defrost window and ran a wire to the dash and punched a hole in the dash for a switch.

Thank god when I flipped that switch it never worked eventually I pulled the circuit the entire wire was melted and there was scorch damage to the sail panels in the car.

I tossed the entire interior and traded the defrost window for an original sunX rear window like my car originally came with. Then I pulled the remains of the circuit and closed the hole in the dash. Years later a buddy offered me a real ford oem defroster system. I was surprised at the complexity. The control box and timer were separate like the intermediate wiper system . Needless to say I turned it down as too much trouble.

Why would anyone driving a Mustang need a smoke screen or an oil slick or have to shut off the rear tail lights for braking.

Unless your car is missing the ACCELERATOR pedal...

Back