Factory Air Cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
After years of running an open element air breather on my car I've decided to go back to the factory assembly. The problem is my car was originally a 2barrel carb and now I have a 4 barrel Edelbrock and the Factory air cleaner doesn't fit. Is there some kind of adapter or spacer I can use.

X2 I'm moving to a Edebrock/Holly 4V setup for my 2V 351, and I'd like to keep the 2V air cleaner that Coilwire sent me. I guess I didn't think very far in the future when I whined for a fully-snorkeled air cleaner.

Any ideas?

Doc

X2 I'm moving to a Edebrock/Holly 4V setup for my 2V 351, and I'd like to keep the 2V air cleaner that Coilwire sent me. I guess I didn't think very far in the future when I whined for a fully-snorkeled air cleaner.

Any ideas?

Doc
Doc the stock air cleaner will fit the Holley 4V carb. The Edelbrock carb has a deferent shape. Thats why I suggested the Holley all your linkage will fit including the air cleaner. Doc why would you want to run the stock air cleaner. You want that cam and carb to breath. Mike

Any ideas?

Doc
Doc the stock air cleaner will fit the Holley 4V carb. The Edelbrock carb has a deferent shape. Thats why I suggested the Holley all your linkage will fit including the air cleaner. Doc why would you want to run the stock air cleaner. You want that cam and carb to breath. Mike
Thanks, Mike, that makes a lot of sense. Now I've got a bit of a dilemma. I love the look of the stock air cleaner. And I'm pretty sure that some High Output engines used a similar air cleaner, but probably with the Ram Air aspirated system. So my problem is determining what kind of HP the 4V stock systems could obtain with the snorkel-type air cleaners. Anyone have some input?

Doc

Any ideas?

Doc
Thanks, Mike, that makes a lot of sense. Now I've got a bit of a dilemma. I love the look of the stock air cleaner. And I'm pretty sure that some High Output engines used a similar air cleaner, but probably with the Ram Air aspirated system. So my problem is determining what kind of HP the 4V stock systems could obtain with the snorkel-type air cleaners. Anyone have some input?

Doc
Which air cleaner did you want to use the 71 or the 72-73.

I've been doing some searching around and it looks like you can by an air cleaner spacer. There not very expensive so I might give on a try.

I'd like to use the big ol' '71 or '72. I really like that look.

Doc
Doc To get more air in stock air cleaner get a KN air filter 3/8 to 1/2 inch taller this will hold air cleaner lid up off the air cleaner base and let more air in. Or lets say the front of air cleaner base is 6 O'Clock and the back is 12 o,clock ( fire wall ) drill with hole saw 2 holes at 11 o,clock and 1 o,clock or 3 holes. This way you wont see holes from the front. Just a thought. Mike

Hi Jon and Doc,

I've got a 1973 302 2bbl and the car came to me with the original air cleaner cover but not the base. I put a 1971 351C 4v air cleaner assembly on the 302 and it fits on the 2bbl carb without any problems. I wanted to use the original 302 cover, but the diameter was much smaller than the 351C's air cleaner base. The 351C's base is wider and will easily clear the square shaped Edelbrock and all linkages. The 351's base is also taller than the 302's

Jon, make sure if you add spacers that your hood doesn't hit the top of the air cleaner. I'm all for using the original air cleaner assembly.

Doc that air cleaner will work with a holly 4bbl. Had it on the car until I got my new air cleaner and valve covers.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. That's great news - thanks again for sending her to me.

And thanks to all the others for your suggestions and knowledge. Can't wait to get 'er put back together and perch that thing on top. :)

Doc

Back