Mach 1 grille running horse mod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
Playing around in the garage last weekend. I used the running horse from a standard grille. I like it. Just need to fabricate a bracket to hold it on.

71grille1.jpg

71grille2.jpg

71grille3.jpg

Thanks! It's the running horse off a broken standard 7172 grille I have.

My 72 has the standard grill also. I have seen it described as the "corral pony" grill. I guess the pony looks bigger without the corral? my car has no pony ornamentation with the red white blue bars. I believe the Boss cars also had simple chrome ponies on a black background also. Which cars in 7173 have the tri-color stripe ornaments?

Hello mach1000,

Larger Mustang Looks good. Question? The lights under the bumper. Are they mounted to the front license plate or by some other means? Are they a small diameter type driving light. I was looking into mounting driving lights in the grill, just like the Shelby Mustangs, and saw what you did.

Thank You

mustang7173

Ditched the front plate. (its setting on the floor in back in case the cops need to see it) and made a bracket to mount the driving lights. They are on a switch. They are Hella brand 6" lights.

Hello mach1000,

Nice. The Hella brand 6" lights are a good looking set of driving lights. I am looking into the best way to mount a pair. I believe there is a member who has picture of a set mount just behind the grill. The 1967 Shelby is the inspiration behind this, plus better visibility at night. Thank you for the information.

mustang7173

Nice combo of the two styles. As someone else mentioned, still looks stock enough to fool the uninitiated, but to the rest of us, it has that slightly custom touch!

Back