Vacuum pump?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible, factory 302, disc brakes and A/C. Started to rebuild it all original but elected to go full tilt and rebuilt everything in the drivetrain, a/c, cooling, etc. etc. etc.
I talked about how my car is having some issues with vacuum in a previous post. I talk with the tech people at Comp cams and they stated that at around 8 to 10 inches of vacuum is all I should expect with my setup. My cam is a Thumpr series and has lots of overlap for that radical chop. It does sound wicked but is quite aggravating, so I took it back to the builder and he says that it is doing better now.

I have seen some electric vacuum pumps from some of the parts suppliers that supposedly address issues like mine.

Has anyone tried one and if so how did it work out. I would appreciate any input.

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I've got a Mutha Thumpa in my 351C.

The best vacuum reading I can get is 10 , and I can assure you that this is not enough for continious use of the brakes in traffic.

I've since fitted a CVR billet vacuum pump and a 1litre vacuum tank to power the stock brake booster. I'm still not completely happy with the setup.

I'm presently investigating fitting a Hydroboost unit to replace the vacuum unit altogether.

regards,

Rod A

I'll be watching this thread with interest. I've got a Mutha Thumpa in my 351C.

The best vacuum reading I can get is 10 , and I can assure you that this is not enough for continious use of the brakes in traffic.

I've since fitted a CVR billet vacuum pump and a 1litre vacuum tank to power the stock brake booster. I'm still not completely happy with the setup.

I'm presently investigating fitting a Hydroboost unit to replace the vacuum unit altogether.

regards,

Rod A
I forgot to mention, I too have an add on vacuum tank and we added a relay to the A/C that electrically increases the idle when it is turned on. You are right 10 inches of boost just won't do in traffic and we had to highly modify the adjustable transmission modulator to get it to work correctly. This cam would probably be fine with a manual transmission car with no power options but it is really giving me a time with all of the power options that my car has i.e. power brakes, steering along with the A/C and auto transmission.

Latest posts

Back