7173'ers meet up and join in Cherohala Skyway/Tail of the Dragon Cruise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1965 Mustang 2+2
1973 Mustang Convertable
This is posted in the VIP Forum, now it's time to let everyone in on the invitation

"Wednesday evening of Sept 25, 2013, Several of my Mustang Buddies are meeting to overnight in Tellico Plains Tenn. Beginning of Cherohalla Skyway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherohala_Skyway

cherohala.jpg

Thursday AM we head out on the Cherohala Skyway to; drive 43 miles to Robbinsville, NC, Then past Lake Santeethla & Fugitive Dam (Harrison Fords character jumped off the dam in The Fugitive)

Then on to Deal's Gap and Tail of the Dragon, ", with 318 curves in 11 miles, is America's number one motorcycle and sports car road. The nearby CHEROHALA SKYWAY is quickly becoming number two with its remote 60 miles of scenic mountain highway."

RideMePoster_2013.gif

After doing the Cherohala/Dragon Loop, My Buddies and I are continuing on to Franklin Tenn, where we have a host providing dinner Thursday PM. We will continue through Saturday with socalization, Car stuff fer the guys, GF bonding fer the gals, Points of interest for all.

This side trip is all my doing and I can invite whoever I like. If several 7173'ers would care to join along, I promise a Mustang Road Trip You'll never forget. It may be the beginning of a dedicated 7173 Mustang annual event(Idea to to go to a different location each year) Doing stuff like this IS the Reason I have my Mustangs.

As for the rest of the weekend, it is MustangSteve's annual Bash. It's open to any and all Mustangers, You Do Not Have to belong to MustangSteve's FYI Ford Forum. The intent is for (Classic guys especially)Mustangers to get together to meet one another, make friends, and have fun without getting too stupid like I did 2012.

So who might you meet on this Cruise?? So far Me fer sure(Yeah Yeah I know big whoop) We have definate gonna trys from; Don65Stang & Whisnane (Eddie), Jeff73Mach1...Now Tnfastbk lives in the region too, Butt we ain't heard from him as yet. Come fly your 7173 colors with us.

Tubo

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great! I would go except we have planned to ride our sidecar rig to California at that time. I have been on those roads many times as we have a vacation home in Gatlinburg. I have never had the 72 there, but I would like to. If you make it an annual event I would like to plan for next year. Here are a couple of pictures from the Dragon.

Deal\'s Gap April 2013.jpg

mdg39.JPG

1342dg11.PNG

dcnv12.PNG

Yup, I'm going to try my best to make this happen so I can attend. Will be driving my Mach 1 if I get the steering looseness worked out. Otherwise it'll be the wife's '05 mustang vert. Either would be fine with me because both would be fun.

CB's anyone?

Corky, which car are you driving?

Yup, I'm going to try my best to make this happen so I can attend. Will be driving my Mach 1 if I get the steering looseness worked out. Otherwise it'll be the wife's '05 mustang vert. Either would be fine with me because both would be fun.

CB's anyone?

Once again the 65 2+2 is the proposed ride. A pinched wire in wire in the 68 collapsible column has created grimlins in the 2+2's wiring.

If any one has a turn signal switch that will fit a 68 column, I'm in the market for one.

The 73 is fresh off the 1400 mile round trip to Dallas, and is a known quantity. Steering in it is a bit sloppy in it too plus the A/C needs a valve replaced & possibly the condenser. I made the the Dallas trip with no A/C,so that's not a deal breaker, as the 2+2 has no A/C either. My hope is to do as last year. Karol & I in Miss May(65 2+2) and the 73 available for friends. That way We can swap out some & both cars make the trip

BTW hand held Motrola type radios have proved to be the best between car comms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the idler arm first Don. That was the sloppiest on mine when I started going through the steering.
That's what Firestone said too when I took it to them for an alignment. I lifted right front off and saw that my upper ball joint and outer tie rod end had deteriorated rubber so I'm thinking to replace all the steering related stuff. A set of new shocks would be nice too. And a new exhaust since I'm apparently making a list. I need to stay away from your thread. ;)

CB's anyone?

Once again the 65 2+2 is the proposed ride. A pinched wire in wire in the 68 collapsible column has created grimlins in the 2+2's wiring.

If any one has a turn signal switch that will fit a 68 column, I'm in the market for one.

The 73 is fresh off the 1400 mile round trip to Dallas, and is a known quantity. Steering in it is a bit sloppy in it too plus the A/C needs a valve replaced & possibly the condenser. I made the the Dallas trip with no A/C,so that's not a deal breaker, as the 2+2 has no A/C either. My hope is to do as last year. Karol & I in Miss May(65 2+2) and the 73 available for friends. That way We can swap out some & both cars make the trip

BTW hand held Motrola type radios have proved to be the best between car comms.
I thought about making a goal to get my 65 reassembled by then for it to make the trip but that's unrealistic with my work schedule.

I have Motorola GMRS radios.

A/C may not be needed. I'm more concerned about needing the heater on Thursday (my Mach 1s heater isn't hooked up). Last July we were camping in the TN mountains...only had shorts with us. It was something like 60 degrees and we were very cold that week! The Cherohala website mentions that it gets cold up there even in mid summer. ;)

Well, there isn't a good hotel in Tellico Plains, (lots of B&B"s an Cabins though) for our group to stay in. So we'll be 10 miles up the road at the Super 8 Athens, 2541 Decatur Pike Athens, TN 37303-4939. (423) 745-4500 There is a block of rooms under Classic Mustang Cruise.

Jeff I'm trying to locate some guys travling to the MustangSteve Bash, from your region. They may be travling a day behind you.

Back