1971 Cursed Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible Mustang 351 C 2V H Code automatic transmission
Hello again

I have another problem with my Stang

Yesterday I've took a ride with it and suddently the engine starts to give me problmes

It seems like the fuel was about to finish and the car was losing power and stopped, then again restart, till I've dediced to come back home

It was very strange because I've brought the car in Italy from Los Angeles in 2010 and for two years I used it almost every day without any problems, than after, when the so called italian mechanics start to do some works on it ( repair the leaks of oil from the tranny pan ), the nightmare started

Last year I've changed spark plugs, spark plugs cables, distributor, air filter, water pump, timing chain, redone the engine valve and valve seats then change the fuel tank.

Maybe yesterday the car was flooded, because when arrived home I accelerate in a P position and lots of smoke cames out and then the engine seemed to run good

Anyone could give me please his opinion ?

Thanks a lot

I didn't see any mention of a fuel filter in your list of changes. If you're not using one you may have gotten a piece of dirt in the float valve, holding it open, causing the flooding.

I would also run the car for a few minutes and make sure the choke isn't sticking shut. That would cause an engine to run rich. It's free, and it's fun to watch it come open if it's working properly anyway.

I have two gas filter one at the carb ( screw it on the carb body ) and another between the carb and the gas pump

I've checked them and there is gas inside clean I mean not dirty or with rust

When I push the accelartor I see the gas coming into the carb

What I saw it's unburn gasoline coming out of the muffler

The choke valve was completely open because the engine it was hot

How can I check if there are some dirty in the float valve ?

I have to dismantle the carb ?

Either sticking float or choke not opening.

To check the float if the car is running rich and badly, take a wrench or screw driver handle and smack the carb lightly around the fuel bowl top that usually drops a stuck float if you do it a few times and no change then you will need to take the carb apart and see. If the float is sticking you need to open the carb anyway for replace or rebuild.

To check the choke start the car when cold and watch the plate on the carb lift up as the car warms up if you a have an automatic choke it will start flat and rise horizontal within 5 minutes.

If you have a manual choke make sure it can open and close properly by hand.

Back