Do you have 2 bolts or 4 bolts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
Quite a discussion regarding 4 bolt main 351C 4V motors.

The question arose how can you tell without dropping the oil pan.

How about going over to Harbor Freight and buying one of those probes with a video camera on the end? Next oil change, stick that probe into the oil pan and have a look see.

Not sure if the probe can be used in a "volatile" oil pan environment, so have your fire extinguisher ready.

Let us know what you find.

I have a probe but not sure if it will fit in the hole due to the size...WOW...I never once thought I would ever get to say that...that is a great idea, I will check that tomorrow and let you know if the camera will fit

1971 4 bolt main with .030 TRW Power Forged Pistons

mustang7173
Do you know your block casting numbers?

Did you use a Boss 351 block?

Don

Hello Don,

No, it is not a Boss351 Block. I wish it was. I rebuilt the engine some 20 plus years ago when you could get P.A.W and TRW parts for it. I do not remember the casting number. But, it is a 4 Bolt main engine. I have a buddy of mine that has a 1972 351C H.O. that he will not even talk $$ for it. Plus, I have another 4 bolt main block in storage.

mustang7173

2-bolt here i've considered getting 4 bolt caps and having it machined but to be real blunt i'm not planning on racing so I think i'm just going to run the 2 bolt main caps. Thats one thing I've learned from this site the 2 bolt main motors are strong so Im not going to sweat it. New ARP bolts all around though for sure :)

To add to the mix, I Have a 351C out of ozzy XC falcon pulled it myself 12 years ago, original motor, std bore, casting # D2AE-CA = 2 bolt mains. I also, have a std bore aussie cast/build 302c, 2 bolt main will check the cast number tomorrow , came out of a XB ute..

Back