best head gasket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
Hey guys recently picked a motor from a fellow site member clevelandcoupe, got to meet up and check out his ride a 73 mach 1 cant wait to see it finished!

I was wondering what gasket kit is best? I really just need head gaskets as i wanna use the rubber coated felpro ones for everythng else oil pan, valve cover etc.

Motor is 4v with cc heads, cam etc i wanna go with felpro but see there are a couple dif choices. Thanks!

Best is a rather relative term. You build an engine and it lasts I guess that would be best. If your using a reputable machine shop on your build, they know what the results are over a wide range of builds. Ask them nwhat they get warranty work on. IMHO.

You may want to do some calculations and determine the HEAD GASKET THICKNESS you want to run.

1. If your piston goes over the block, you may need a thick gasket for clearance.

2. Depending on what compression you are shooting for, your gasket thickness may play a factor.

Felpro's are great most of the time. Unless you are running a nonstock set up, you generally don't need to mess with higher dollar head gaskets. Cometics are a great product by all accounts, but they are expensive and unless there is a reason to change to a nonstandard thickness, they are overkill.

Thanks for the tips i wanna stick with felpro but i see ones labeled high performance this motor i guess is 400-450 hp, wont have a blower or anythng

Alex,

I would suggest the FelPro Perma Torque Blue gaskets. I have used them on many motors with out any issues.

If you look closely at the heads. you will see the blue from the original gaskets.

Thanks, Jay

Back