429 with hi ford racing valve covers- ?any brake booster probs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH1 m code
:exclamation:Well we got the car back and wanting to hook up brake booster and master cylinder.

I have the high Ford Racing valve covers because I have roller valve train. I'm worried about clearance and before I order and wait for a nice new system would like to know it fits.

Sooo... for the guys running 429 with poer brake booster how is valve cover clearance? Ideally if your running tall valve covers most applicable. We have 4 wheel wilwood disc breaks and want to be able to stop this beast. Any help appreciated.:D

521 stroker, SCJ-A heads, Tall Ford Racing Valve covers, Cobra front brakes, GT rear brakes with a 2002 mustang v6 MC with the exits on the inside of the engine bay.

now the brake lines will come very close to the engine and it'll scare you. however the motor rotates away from it when reved and it'll never touch.

i have pics on my laptop. if you want to email me at [email protected] i can send them to you.

if you go to a wilwood MC or something that exits on the outside, then no problem.

521 stroker, SCJ-A heads, Tall Ford Racing Valve covers, Cobra front brakes, GT rear brakes with a 2002 mustang v6 MC with the exits on the inside of the engine bay.

now the brake lines will come very close to the engine and it'll scare you. however the motor rotates away from it when reved and it'll never touch.

i have pics on my laptop. if you want to email me at [email protected] i can send them to you.

if you go to a wilwood MC or something that exits on the outside, then no problem.
Thanks,

1 question do you have manual discs or power discs. We are planning wilwood and power discs. If power what diaphragm. Thanks

Thanks,

1 question do you have manual discs or power discs. We are planning wilwood and power discs. If power what diaphragm. Thanks
i have powerbrakes that are 20% power and 80% manual. :):D too big of a cam and i need a vacuum pump.

i use a stock Power booster and a 2002 disc/disc MC.

There are few things to think about. I used the std. small block engine mounts and OEM 429 CJ brackets to mount my 460 cid. With std. powerbrake MC I was able to use unmodified Tall Ford Racing valvecovers. With stock MC the brake lines are on the drivers side, no they won't interfere the valvecovers. I have now discs in all four corners and I bought Wilwood MC with plastic reservoir. I received the MC and wham, its nearly 1” wider than the stock MC – wouldn’t fit. That’s why I bought the Blue Thunder Auto Competition style valvecovers to make extra clearance. I had a spare 12 PSI residual pressure valve which I decided to try with the stock MC, I placed the residual valve to rear brake line and it worked like a charm. Wilwood has also a aluminum reservoir MC and as far as I am considered it’s narrower than the plastic reservoir version but not sure how it compares to stock MC. If you’re going to get a full set of brakes from Wilwood then ask which one of their MC’s is the correct version for your calipers, they know and they’re happy to sell you one!

Probably the biggest difference is in the brakebooster vacuum line and that is that I don’t use the carb vacuum port but instead I made a vacuum port to the intake spacer. Carb’s vacuum port has a tiny hole which goes under the carb, it makes lousy vacuum with bigger cam like I do. Now with the residual valve and the direct intake vacuum from the spacer I’ve got the first time a true brakes on my car. Now it boosts.

If you’re going to get the Wilwood MC and it does not fit, then sell the Ford Racing covers and get the Blue Thunder Auto’s covers, it takes $330.00US but it’s the second best thing for your Mach 1 (after the big block ;) ). The space is amazing, spark plug change is a breeze now, I won’t ever change back if unless I’ll get stud girdle some day and they won’t go under the BT covers.

There are few things to think about. I used the std. small block engine mounts and OEM 429 CJ brackets to mount my 460 cid. With std. powerbrake MC I was able to use unmodified Tall Ford Racing valvecovers. With stock MC the brake lines are on the drivers side, no they won't interfere the valvecovers. I have now discs in all four corners and I bought Wilwood MC with plastic reservoir. I received the MC and wham, its nearly 1” wider than the stock MC – wouldn’t fit. That’s why I bought the Blue Thunder Auto Competition style valvecovers to make extra clearance. I had a spare 12 PSI residual pressure valve which I decided to try with the stock MC, I placed the residual valve to rear brake line and it worked like a charm. Wilwood has also a aluminum reservoir MC and as far as I am considered it’s narrower than the plastic reservoir version but not sure how it compares to stock MC. If you’re going to get a full set of brakes from Wilwood then ask which one of their MC’s is the correct version for your calipers, they know and they’re happy to sell you one!

Probably the biggest difference is in the brakebooster vacuum line and that is that I don’t use the carb vacuum port but instead I made a vacuum port to the intake spacer. Carb’s vacuum port has a tiny hole which goes under the carb, it makes lousy vacuum with bigger cam like I do. Now with the residual valve and the direct intake vacuum from the spacer I’ve got the first time a true brakes on my car. Now it boosts.

If you’re going to get the Wilwood MC and it does not fit, then sell the Ford Racing covers and get the Blue Thunder Auto’s covers, it takes $330.00US but it’s the second best thing for your Mach 1 (after the big block ;) ). The space is amazing, spark plug change is a breeze now, I won’t ever change back if unless I’ll get stud girdle some day and they won’t go under the BT covers.
:D i had to run the ford valve covers cuz i run a stud girdle now. originally i didn't put my car wasn't as fast. when you start reving a bbf to 6500rpms, the valve train starts to flex some. i had to run them.

it mus be nice to have that huge hole in the valve covers with a cap on it to fill your oil with. all i have is that small hole for the breather and i have to hold the valve cover the entire time waiting for 20/50 oil to drain which is like watching pancake syrup going thru a straw.

Hello. I am running a BBF with factory power disk brakes and the Ford Racing valve covers too. I have no problems with it hitting the master cylinder. Yes it is close but it still clears fine. I have factory 429 engine mounts also. From the pic you can not see the master cylinder because it it under the sheet. Sorry only pic I had at the moment. One last thing, i am running vacuum from the rear of the intake. I make about 11 in/vac plus I have a little vacuum pump that comes on when vacuum reaches a certain setting. Hope this helps some.

DSC03537.JPG

DSC03577.JPG

DSC03576.JPG

Xoliex, tall valvecovers are good covers. I am in the progress of getting a Jomar Studgirdle. I'll install it during the winter and I'll want to use the Blue Thunder competition covers. I'll take pictures from the installation and from the possible modifications for the girdle or for the covers and I'll report here the results.

Either way the covers will clear the MC. You can use the Boss 429 MC spacer to give you even more space if needed - it'll change the angle of the MC = points it away from the valvecover. Mustangsunlimited part number ER12 01, costs 185 bucks though...

Whoa IMF05! Thats a Dominator!!! Nice. Is that a tapered spacer or just a "heat shield"? Check out, what I've been playing around :D I'll modify my current intake for the 4500 flange. I will made the vacuum ports similar as now, I'll be running 1" Jomar powercone tapered spacer and underneath that a alumium 1" open spacer. I'll make the vacuumports to the alumium spacer to keep my intake untouched.

kuva0684_zps2bc8c732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Finmach.I think they call it a safety plate. In case of throttle linkage failure this plate will keep the screws and nuts from falling into the intake and cylinders. Newer dominators don't have that problem anymore because I think they made the linkage like the 4150's. I could be wrong though. Its only an 1/8" thick. I am hoping to cram this under stock ram air hood. The hood has been off and will be the last thing put on. Maybe in a few months I will have it on.

Thanks, Finmach.I think they call it a safety plate. In case of throttle linkage failure this plate will keep the screws and nuts from falling into the intake and cylinders. Newer dominators don't have that problem anymore because I think they made the linkage like the 4150's. I could be wrong though. Its only an 1/8" thick. I am hoping to cram this under stock ram air hood. The hood has been off and will be the last thing put on. Maybe in a few months I will have it on.
You're correct, the newer Dominator secondary linkage has been removed from the center of the barrels. Your Dominator has the linkage in the center so it's wise to run with the plate. It can get costly when a nut drops to cylinder. If you run in to problems with the cleanrence, there are nice dropbase aircleaner for Dominator. Not elcheapos but easyer to get than start to modify your existing hood.
http://www.racingjunk.com/Drag-Racing/2152321/Dominator-drop-bases-2.html

Good looking car you've got!!

Back