351 C H hose valve

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
When I bought my car one of the first issue I had was the H valve on the heater core hoses had failed and leaking badly. It was very corroded so I justed removed it because I was told it was not availble. They just sold one on ebay for 103.27 item number 400528338312. I was wondering what the fuction was for this valve. It did not seem to effect anything on the car. I know Ford put it there to do something. The Ford part number is D30Z-18B02-B. Just wondering if I should replace it in the future.

John J

$(KGrHqVHJDcFHHRCvkjZBR4IJ+1PIw~~60_35[1].jpg

NPD sells them for 29.95:

http://www.npdlink.com/store/index.php?search_str=&search_in=all&p=catalog&mode=catalog&parent=459&year=1972&CatalogSetSortBy=name&CatalogSetView=Thumb1

They are used on the AC equipped cars to prevent hot coolant from entering the core/plenum when the AC is on.
Thanks for the reply but that not it. It looks like and H and is hooked up to the supply and return hose from the heater core. I am going to attach a photo. I hope it works I am testing my computor skills now.$(KGrHqVHJDcFHHRCvkjZBR4IJ+1PIw~~60_35[1].jpg

::huh::: ::shrug::

Well I'll be discombobulated, I've never seen one of those H-pipes before.

Just when I thought I knew all of the gizmatroids from the Goldberg parts bin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a heater bypass valve that keeps coolant flowing in the hoses all the time. When the flow is shut off to the heater core the coolant flows back through the return hose. I didn't know our cars used them. I know that people have retrofitted them in other cars to help with coolant flow through the engine.

That's a heater bypass valve that keeps coolant flowing in the hoses all the time. When the flow is shut off to the heater core the coolant flows back through the return hose. I didn't know our cars used them. I know that people have retrofitted them in other cars to help with coolant flow through the engine.
Thanks for the repley Don.

So I don't really need worry about replacing it? I only seen the part on ebay once and it sold for over 100 bucks. I has asked a few people and they said I could get by with out It but I wanted to be sure.

John

I've never seen one on any 7173 I've owned.

Our cars used a vacuum motor to control the heater core. On the non AC cars the same valve was used controller by the blue vacuum line.

It did the same thing as the h hose.

Basically the motor would close down one hose going into the heater core would would cut off the flow of hot coolant and act as a by pass.

The original valve was located in the engine bay just in front of the heater core connections a Rubber S pipe was connected to one hose coming off the core then the vacuum valve and finally the hose going to the water pump housing. The second water pump line went directly to the other hose on the heater core.

From inside the car when the heat selector was moved the valve would adjust to the level of vacuum and either was open or at various stages of closing down the coolant flow. At any time the original valve could of gone bad or the original core began to leak so somebody installed the cut of valve.

The h pipe appears to be from a fairlane.

This would be the correct valve assuming your vaccum system is still original to the car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-73-Mustang-Cougar-A-C-HEATER-WATER-VALVE-AC-Air-Conditioning-Ford-Mercury-/400287907756

Thats for 73 with the 351c

Its part of the engine ignition timing control system

I have 2 of them

Last edited by a moderator:
Back