Obsidian71 2013 TAIL LIGHT INSTALL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
I guess this would be the first official install of the custom tail light lens Obsidian71 is making...By no means is this the definitive way to do it..I'm still experimenting for the best look..But damm these babys look kick azz !!! So heres what I did so far..I made up a filler diffuser plate from 1/8" clear plexi...I then sprayed one side with straight candy apple red..I used some latex foam weatherstrip on the back of the 2013 lens...then mounted the whole shabang using some small sheet metal screws from the backside...then some thicker weatherstrip around the outside...Pretty self explanatory from the pics...I'm just using the stock bulbs for now but have some 1157 led replacement bulbs coming..I think I'm gonna delete the rear plastic honeycomb panel for a more cleaner look.. So there you have it...Obsidian71 better get busy cause I have a feeling he's going to sell a lot of these..I really like them..NICE JOB on these O...Thanks again !

101_0352.JPG101_0353.JPG101_0354.JPG101_0355.JPG101_0356.JPG101_0361.JPG101_0366.JPG

Wow, that looks really good,

Is there anything covering the bulbs?
The diffuser plate I made covers the bulbs..it's a sandwich..Housing..Diffuser plate...Obsidian71 2013 lens

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks awesome even with the honeycomb panel! ::thumb::

Nicely done, Q and Obsidian!! Can't wait til they're available with the LEDs though!

Oh yeah, Hey Scott - you've got a bulb out on the passenger side. Just sayin'. rofl

You guys really outdid yourself on this one.

Those look great! Would it be possible to add another tail/brake light in the center and place some back-up lights elsewhere? I think that would look cool.
I think that's an Idea to explore.. on the qcode, since I'm going to mod the bumper anyway.. a flush mount set of rectangular led reverse lights built into the lower part of the bumper..

Oh yeah, Hey Scott - you've got a bulb out on the passenger side. Just sayin'. rofl
Yea..I had to steal one from that side for the pics...:idea:

Hey Scott, until the custom reverse lights are fabricated, how do the backup lights work? I noticed your diffuser panel does not have a cutout so that the light shines white while in reverse. Is it just a red backup for now? I cannot wait to get my hands on these things. They will go well with my brand new 429!

Looks awesome Scott! I haven't yet started making a bunch yet because 1st of all it's been excruciatingly hot this past week and my garage is like a sauna! 2nd I want to wait and see what J comes up with for the LED's just in case I need to make any last minute revisions to accommodate that. Really badass to see them finally in action though! It's been a long road with a lot of trial and error!

Theres just not enough o's in coooooooooool , to describe that!!!! :cool:

Looks awesome Scott! I haven't yet started making a bunch yet because 1st of all it's been excruciatingly hot this past week and my garage is like a sauna! 2nd I want to wait and see what J comes up with for the LED's just in case I need to make any last minute revisions to accommodate that. Really badass to see them finally in action though! It's been a long road with a lot of trial and error!
I agree they do look killer...You should be proud of taking this from dream to a finished product ! I truly appreciate you letting me have that first set to test install...As I said by no means is this the definitive way to do it..Just one way and a option for you to offer just the lenses make it more affordable for people who may not want the L.E.D setup due to the added cost..

Hey Scott, until the custom reverse lights are fabricated, how do the backup lights work? I noticed your diffuser panel does not have a cutout so that the light shines white while in reverse. Is it just a red backup for now? I cannot wait to get my hands on these things. They will go well with my brand new 429!
What I did for now is to order the 1157's led's in red... the backup reverse light 1156 in white...I will post up pics once they arrive & I get them installed...I may have to make up a different diffuser panel leaving some clear but we shall see...It's a on going experiment.

Very nice look what is the price range on a pair

I like the three red sections. If I ever get a set of them I'll probably use some backup lights from a pre-'71 and mount them under the bumper. LED panels would look good behind the lenses, too.

Would it be possible to both a red and a white l.e.d. in the center, and illuminating the white one for reverse only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back