Obsidian71 2013 TAIL LIGHT INSTALL

Qcode351mach

as for the backup lights, you can mix red and white LED's on a board in the center section, and when the white LEDs are called for the red in the center turn off, otherwise they are all red, just a thought.

you can use a relay's normally open/normally closed points to archive this, and the backup lights to switch the signal from red to white.

That's the plan, I'm still waiting on a circuit board to get started on the LEDs. It's going to be a little interesting because the clear openings are a little small but I'll manage.

Jayson

504x177https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4398/36319488731_8f2a376549_z.jpg[/img]

73 Mach 1 Mustang

89 Dodge Shadow ES

94 Jeep Wrangler

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate modifying my car from its original look, but this might me a mod I might do, I really like the look.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

as for the backup lights, you can mix red and white LED's on a board in the center section, and when the white LEDs are called for the red in the center turn off, otherwise they are all red, just a thought.

you can use a relay's normally open/normally closed points to archive this, and the backup lights to switch the signal from red to white.

That's the plan, I'm still waiting on a circuit board to get started on the LEDs. It's going to be a little interesting because the clear openings are a little small but I'll manage.

I think the tough part will be the center opening, since you're going to stagger red and white LEDs... it's probably gonna get a little tight in there. Good luck and have fun with that! ;) :D

Curiousity though - what are you thinking on how to light up the 'rings?' I'm wondering if a trio of incandescents in the normal locations wired up to the parking lights would take car of that (since they'd be hidden by the LED boards, all they would illuminate should be the rings) - as noticed by the picture of Q's installation. Just a thought to maybe keep the cost and complexity down.

Also, any idea on how to mount the circuit boards inside the housings? I'm thinking the simplest way would be to come up with some kind of pedestal that fits into the original bulb locations (for simplicity).

Don't mind me and my musings, J - I know you're going to come up with something cool... just can't wait to see it all come together. ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I think the tough part will be the center opening, since you're going to stagger red and white LEDs... it's probably gonna get a little tight in there. Good luck and have fun with that! ;) :D

Curiousity though - what are you thinking on how to light up the 'rings?' I'm wondering if a trio of incandescents in the normal locations wired up to the parking lights would take car of that (since they'd be hidden by the LED boards, all they would illuminate should be the rings) - as noticed by the picture of Q's installation. Just a thought to maybe keep the cost and complexity down.

Also, any idea on how to mount the circuit boards inside the housings? I'm thinking the simplest way would be to come up with some kind of pedestal that fits into the original bulb locations (for simplicity).

Don't mind me and my musings, J - I know you're going to come up with something cool... just can't wait to see it all come together. ::thumb::

I found some bi-color red/white LEDs so I'll give them a try. As for the parking light rings, I was planning on something similar but with red LEDs instead. Sorry for the delay guys, I'm really chomping at the bit to get the circuit board.

Jayson

73 Mach 1 Mustang

89 Dodge Shadow ES

94 Jeep Wrangler

The J I'm sure you have looked at the 2013 tail lights but maybe someone has smacked one up by now and you can get a board from a junkyard. I was just thinking for research on the white/red LEDs and the halos. it looks like the halos are the parking/running lights and the center three are the brake/signal. The center lens is back up/brake/signal.

here is a link to the tail light back up light in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1JAoW4fWVAQ

This is also odd the halos look like direct LEDs in this video but have looked like conventional incandescent or led run from a reflector on other cars.

Just food for thought and again I'm sure you have already been obsessing over the lights like I have. This is a VERY COOL project and I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.

I found some bi-color red/white LEDs so I'll give them a try. As for the parking light rings, I was planning on something similar but with red LEDs instead. Sorry for the delay guys, I'm really chomping at the bit to get the circuit board.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They look great! I have a set of Sequential LED boards mounted in my buckets that came from mustangsnorthwest.org and you could see how his boards are notched and velcroed into the buckets. You might even be able to use his "system" or logic to get over any bumps that you are still having regarding the LED Boards. Just a thought or idea.

DrDew

They look great! I have a set of Sequential LED boards mounted in my buckets that came from mustangsnorthwest.org and you could see how his boards are notched and velcroed into the buckets. You might even be able to use his "system" or logic to get over any bumps that you are still having regarding the LED Boards. Just a thought or idea.

DrDew

Well to be honest with you, I think I have everything figured out I just have to get everything soldered up and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jayson

73 Mach 1 Mustang

89 Dodge Shadow ES

94 Jeep Wrangler

• 1 month later...

J

I would be most pleased to put a set of your 3 red led lights into the tail lights. No need for sequential or back up, I will wire separate back ups. Love the look. You guys have stuck to it and made a great addition to our mustangs. Please advise of price and approx when available.

Jenny

• 5 months later...

I thought these would also be sequential?

They can be what ever you want to use..All you get is the LENS..How you put them together is up to you.

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

• 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Angelo. I just joined the site yesterday and I have to say its because of your killer tail light design. I'm blown away by the vision and skill level! How do I get you to make me a set of those bad boys for my project.

I missed where you say what car the lenses were originally made for?

Awesome looking I want some!

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

He´s going through a lot of personal BS right now, so I guess he has other things on his mind. He said it would take him a few months to get back on track.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Looks like it will take two 2013 Mustang lenses L+R to make one lens with mods well done!

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Looks like it will take two 2013 Mustang lenses L+R to make one lens with mods well done!

Thats what I was thinking too. However there are a lot of versions for 2013.. There are two in particular that are similar but when I try to post the pics they don't come up.

I don't know much about fabricating anything but I do know I'll be watching this because I would certainly pay for these. I don't think I could make them myself I wouldn't know where to start.

He'll have the lenses ready; give it time.

He still has the molds on hand, despite much of his other work having been destroyed in the process. Let him get his life back together first. The taillights will come; be patient.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

• 8 months later...

I am very interested in purchasing these for my 71! They have a distinct look and would look great with my red and black combo! Please notify me when you have a product to sell cuz even if it is just the lenses you have a buyer in me I can relocate a reverse light that's no biggy! I just really would like to get my hands on these lense so play give me info on price and time I have patience! ?

Hello Ayedrian71 and welcome to 7173 Mustangs.com!

There's been some developments regarding these custom taillight lenses developed by one of our members, and they do not appear to be available any longer.

Meanwhile, please post up a thread with some info about you and your car in the Introduction forum so the rest of the guys can properly welcome you to the site. Some pics would be awesome as well - we love pictures!

Sorry for the bad news regarding the lenses.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif