7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
My good friend just bought a 56 F100 that has a brand new built 429 in it. The same day he bought the truck, he picked up a new 532 long block. He is willing to sale me the 429 for my 71 coupe for 3k, oil pan to carb! Here are the questions I have:

1. What are some good header options (I have factory power steering)?

2. Which torque converter would be best for my C4 (mostly highway driving)?

3. Will my C4 bolt right up to this block (it currently has a c6 behind it)?

4. Are 302 and 429 motor mounts different in geometry (I imagine so, but want to clarify)?

5. Would changing out rear end gears be a good idea for the larger motor (I have factory 8.8" with 3.00:1 gears)?

I know an answer to a lot of these questions is spend a good amount of money and go overboard, however, this is my daily driver and the only reason I am doing this swap is because I need a new motor and its just such a good deal! What do you guys think? I haven't seen the motor yet, but will before I buy it. As always, thanks for everyones input!

- Nik

I have a 460 , I didn't build my car, I picked it up this way. As far as motor mounts you will need to change, Crites performance makes some. As far as headers, limited choices for big blocks in our cars. FPA makes a nice set. Strongly don't recommend Crites headers, they hang ridiculously low. ( I have them ) You"ll want a bigger radiator. As far as a C4, I believe you want it beefed up. (I run a C6) As far as the rear end the 9" is stronger, someone here may have the answer to beef up an 8.8. Besides all that , the big block pulls real nice in our cars. :D

My good friend just bought a 56 F100 that has a brand new built 429 in it. The same day he bought the truck, he picked up a new 532 long block. He is willing to sale me the 429 for my 71 coupe for 3k, oil pan to carb! Here are the questions I have:

4. Are 302 and 429 motor mounts different in geometry (I imagine so, but want to clarify)?

5. Would changing out rear end gears be a good idea for the larger motor (I have factory 8.8" with 3.00:1 gears)?

I know an answer to a lot of these questions is spend a good amount of money and go overboard, however, this is my daily driver and the only reason I am doing this swap is because I need a new motor and its just such a good deal! What do you guys think? I haven't seen the motor yet, but will before I buy it. As always, thanks for everyones input!

- Nik
Nik,

I sold my 429 setup..but have the crites motor mounts & trans crossmember..Your going to need those parts...I can sell you them for less than buying new..I don't think the c-4 will work..Your going to need a c-6 specific to the 429/460...Also you will need a new driveshaft...I might be willing to trade driveshafts too since I also have the correct drive shaft setup for the 429/460-c-6 combo...I'm going 351w 408 stroker with a c-4 so I was going to have to mod my current driveshaft,,but if yours is already a c-4 driveshaft we could swap..My setup had the hooker headers installed..

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is the car that you use everyday, you are going to want to buy another cheapy beater for the time the stang is down. I believe the 429 is a bit heavier than a 302 also, so there should be some suspension and brake upgrades as well...I thought about a 429 swap when I was putting my 71 together. But the car came with a small block, and so that is what I stuck back in it...

If this is the car that you use everyday, you are going to want to buy another cheapy beater for the time the stang is down. I believe the 429 is a bit heavier than a 302 also, so there should be some suspension and brake upgrades as well...I thought about a 429 swap when I was putting my 71 together. But the car came with a small block, and so that is what I stuck back in it...
+1 on the coil spring upgrade, (forgot about that ) ,that was a detail my PO. forgot .I took out the 351 springs and put in 71 429 springs.

Hi,I would suggest using stock exhaust manifolds or a set of shorty headers(bought/custom built).If you intend to really drive your car on roads in America in 2013 you won't be happy with long tube headers that are too expensive, hang to low and will be flat in very short order.

Chris

1) headers, get the Ford Power Train tri-y headers, as mentioned in the above posts it gives you incredible ground clearence.

2) depends from the number 5 also, but with 2.75-3.00 gears you don’t want 3500 stall speed, because the engine doesn’t achieve 3500 rpm very often if unless you’re speeding 100 mph. Under that it'll boil the transmission oils. Probably I would keep in your situtiation a stock convertor or maybe tad higher rpm stall.

3) your current C4 is with sbf bellhousing. If you want to stick with the C4 then look for C4 from 351M, 400 C since they share the 429/460 pattern & bellhousing.

4) the frame mounts and the engine mounts are different, Auron took a picture few weeks ago from a three different frame mounts. I did used stock 351c frame mounts and with 429/460 engine mounts successfully.

5) 3.00 gears should work in your application. Are you sure you have 8.8 rear? Can you have 2.75 gears for 8.8 rear? My engine revs 2000 rpm on 60 mph and it just rolls over the hills, it’s the torque that moves the body.

If you’re car would be a 351c 4V with OEM A/C you would already have a 429 front coils, but I agree with the guys, you’ll need different coils. I had a 620 lbs -1” lowering coils, they felt little bit of hard, now I have ’68 390 GT Mustang front coils made for 3400 lbs weight vehicle with 386 lbs of rating. It was little bit of nose high but now the coils are sagging just enough to make it look like factory original PLUS they work good.

I know an answer to a lot of these questions is spend a good amount of money and go overboard, however, this is my daily driver and the only reason I am doing this swap is because I need a new motor and its just such a good deal! What do you guys think?
Whoa whoa.....

Ask yourself this first, before ANYTHING else:

Big block = daily driver???

You ready for that?

And, what is the definition of "built"?

I'd have to see ALL of the components in a list before reaching for my wallet!!

Where I'm from, 3K's a lot of jack to plunk down on an unknown.

Put it this way, I have a 9:1 compression, mild cammed 460 with my choice of 2 fresh C6's that are ready to plunk in my car, if it were ready for drivetrain (nowhere near that now).

Engine is complete, assembled and paid for.

I don't think I want it.

Not really sure.

The stock (disassembled) Cleveland isn't even my personal numero uno choice either, even though I have all of the parts to screw together a nice, mild, hydro cammed 2 or 4V engine.

I want to drive it.

In today's world, I'm thinking a 351W roller block with GT40X heads gets the nod for me, with an AOD behind it. Or a 5.0.

JMO

- Nik
Nik,

I sold my 429 setup..but have the crites motor mounts & trans crossmember..Your going to need those parts...I can sell you them for less than buying new..I don't think the c-4 will work..Your going to need a c-6 specific to the 429/460...Also you will need a new driveshaft...I might be willing to trade driveshafts too since I also have the correct drive shaft setup for the 429/460-c-6 combo...I'm going 351w 408 stroker with a c-4 so I was going to have to mod my current driveshaft,,but if yours is already a c-4 driveshaft we could swap..My setup had the hooker headers installed..
I may have to take you up on your offers Scott. I am going to call the guy that built my c4 tomorrow and see what he can do for me as far as a c6 goes. This motor is such a good price, I dont want to pass it up! I will be in touch.

Back