need help on 71 vertible top wise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strokermax

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang 4spd toploader 351C replaced with a drag race built 460. street car the cleveland gone before i ever seen it owned since 90
i got my 71 on july 19th it needs a new top i got a few questions ill just list them here.

I need a top im not worried about if it glass or plastic window where is the best and most fair priced to buy a top from?

If i push the top button the motor whirrs to life but the top phyisically dont move what might it be?

i had to manually pull the top up cause it started to rain so i could cover it but it wouldnt go completely flat . it seems to bind at the front part closest to where it would meet the windshield? what do u recommend

contact a local vert top shop and ask for a quote with and without replacement top. you might want a different manufacturer than they work with. There are many posts here on tops. go to the forum section at the top and search. you will find what you seek.

you can find a good top from ohio mustang,cj pony,or mustang unlimted, look around for shops in your area for labor,and for your top not working you might have broken air lines i would check for connections and if there in good shape or if your pump is damaged,good luck

Tops are tough. It's not like anyone does a 73 Mustang top once a week.

I don't know anyone here who enjoyed the job.

The key is there is a front tack pad. You want to make sure you get one of those. The one on my car was wood, and after 30+ years, was long gone.

And regarding the rear window, I thought the window was separate from the top.

I for one never thought a plastic rear looked good. Spend all that money to assure you have a wrinkle free, tight fitting upper half and then finish it off with a flabby piece of plastic. Not even Pam went with plastic on the rear end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my top, glass back window, new top rubber weather striping, and new storage boot compartment from CJ Pony Parts. A local top and upholstery shop charged $600 to install it all.

Your hydraulic fluid may be low and therefor not working. You have to take the rear seat bottom and back out to get to the filler plug for the top pump. That's a good place to start troubleshooting since you hear the whirring noise.

Also, when the top is almost closed it takes a little effort to pull in down to the top of the windshield and latch the top. I've owned my 73 vert since 1974 and as I recall it was always this way.

The 71/73 verts came stock from the factory with the glass rear window. The plastic windows are aftermarket.

Good luck.

Back