302 tricks and upgrades for improvements

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strokermax

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang 4spd toploader 351C replaced with a drag race built 460. street car the cleveland gone before i ever seen it owned since 90
i got a 302 in my mustang i assume it the same motor as it left the factory with . i do know its got a edlebrock intake and a holley 4 barrel on it as of right now.

i wanna tune this thing up and modify it as best as possible for right now

what are all the tips and tricks for the carb'd 5.0 before the fox chassis?

If you have a 7173 you have a 302. The "5.0" is a factory assignment for the modular engines i believe. And for a 302 there are literally libraries of info on performance builds for that engine, including the 302Clevor build to replicate the factory Boss 302 engines.

If you have a 7173 you have a 302. The "5.0" is a factory assignment for the modular engines i believe. And for a 302 there are literally libraries of info on performance builds for that engine, including the 302Clevor build to replicate the factory Boss 302 engines.
No, the term 5.0 has been around since the 80s. This was when two things happened: ford created the HO 302 which was the first time the engine had anything close to performance numbers in a decade or more and also the big three started to switch over to metric designators. While some changes were made to the engine the most significant from a modder's standpoint was the introduction of the roller block to the 302 in '85.

As to Strokermax's question, it depends. The best short term gain is going to be exhaust, especially since the intake has been changed already. One thing I've been wanting to do to mine is rob some GT40 heads off a ford explorer, but since the compression chambers are larger with those new pistons will be needed to, at minimum, retain the compression ratio. If you pull the heads a new cam and aftermarket roller lifters would be good too. Oh, and roller rockers but they require machine work. How much do you want to put into this engine?

One of the best things I did to my 302 was going to the Duraspark II electronic distributor -- if you don't already have an electronic ignition.

it has the exhaust ending at the manifolds. it sounds great and it doesnt burn any oil

i got one dumb question when u start it up fuel sprays from the carb up and hits the hood with he hood open what could that be?

im looking just to do minor things to this motor till i get the time to find and build a decent 351w.

whats the usual best spot for timing and advance on the dist.?

I will correct myself; Ford did in fact put a 5.0 badge on a windsor 302 in 1978 according to what i have been able to find. My mistake. But it still wasnt a 7173 and the ghia cars of that era are a tragedy. Note, my initial post was intended to assist the 302 owner in avoidin any possible confusion when lookin for info on servicing his engine.

i got one dumb question when u start it up fuel sprays from the carb up and hits the hood with he hood open what could that be?
A fuel leak, or so it seems. Something that should be fixed, before you do anything else.

10-14 degrees advance for the dizzy. If you have mechanical skills, advance it till it starts pinging, then back off 3 degrees or so.

How long till you build a 351? 302 upgrades could be 351 parts.

Or he could just throw on one of Edelbrocks top end kits get some quick power and call it a day. Just depends on your budget and what you really want.

While a 351C/W is a nice motor the conversion using a rebuilt motor will probably cost alot more than simply upgrading the 302. If the 302 isn't in need of a rebuild that is.

Or he could just throw on one of Edelbrocks top end kits get some quick power and call it a day. Just depends on your budget and what you really want.

While a 351C/W is a nice motor the conversion using a rebuilt motor will probably cost alot more than simply upgrading the 302. If the 302 isn't in need of a rebuild that is.
Even if the the needs a rebuild it's not that bad. I just rebuilt a 351w, twice actually I screwed up the first time, and other than the fact that I was constantly held back by thing like places to work on it, money, the wife, and my own stupidity it was pretty easy. Most of the money I spent was on tools, so when I go on to the next engine that cost will drop off. For just the rebuild with rebuild kit, new rods, mine egged and new ones were cheaper that machining, and to have the crank polished was about $400. Granted it was in good condition and being put back to stock. Had I had to buy one to start with it would only have added $100 to $300 depending how patient I was with craigslist. I even see Clevelands on there for pretty cheap from time to time.

I rambled a little, but what I'm trying to get at is a rebuild is nothing to be scared of. If he goes further then headers and intake and other peripherals he might want to consider rebuilding the engine anyway.

As for buying parts for a future 351w swap forget it. the only things that really swap over are the carb heads and headers, and you'd probably want to change the sizes to match the bigger displacement when you do.

....the only things that really swap over are the carb heads and headers......
Headers are determined by engine and chassis combo. 351's different deck height prevent 302 header from fitting, and oil filter placement wont allow a 302 to use 351 headers. So headers aren't on the list of dual purpose parts.

....the only things that really swap over are the carb heads and headers......
Headers are determined by engine and chassis combo. 351's different deck height prevent 302 header from fitting, and oil filter placement wont allow a 302 to use 351 headers. So headers aren't on the list of dual purpose parts.
I suppose I need to put a disclaimer when I'm speaking generally about the engine or in the specifics of our cars. In general they will swap, unless in the case of our cars, and other small cars, the headers have to be tight to the engine in order to fit. I taught myself to work on engines mostly by wrenching on truck so interference from the engine itself isn't usually a problem since they tend to swing out instead of curve around the engine.

SDC10427.JPGSDC10425.JPGVegasfastback, I started out with a 302 in my 71, bought 302 headers from Summit. Couple years later bought the 351W from Ford racing. Headers from the 302 fit 351W great. No problems with fitment.Sorry for rusty header pics. Dang rusty headers.SDC10429.JPG

OK, I stand corrected, in that some 302 exhaust, manifolds can work with a 351quite well. I guess I'm speaking more generalized. I will stick with the 351's not fitting on a 302. As I've made the mistake, of pre-buying a 351 set, only to find they would not work on the 302. I may need to add, "in my experience".

Tubo

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a 302 and wanted a 351 W or C, thats where I would put my money. There's always a top end kit like mentioned earlier. Or you can always out a small nitrous kit on it and hope it lasts till the 351 is done.

When folks talk about 351's around here i always figure its a Cleveland since 7173's are blessed with so many of them. Its easy to forget that some got a windsor, which seems like a bored 289 to me. But i dont know those engines very well.

No offense to anyone but I'm the exact opposite. Growing up with my '68 and then my '95 GT with a stroked Windsor, I have to remember the Cleveland. The Windsor is a pretty versatile motor. Easily 408 inches (427+ with an aftermarket block), great aftermarket Heads (AFR, etc..) supercharger possibilities and even factory style EFI. With a 383w and 8lbs of boost, I made over 500RWHP under 5500rpm and passed California smog in my '95 GT. Imagine better components (cam, throttle body, MAF, more displacement, bigger heads than AFR-185). Im not saying that its a better motor, but it certainly has its appeal.

No offense to anyone but I'm the exact opposite. Growing up with my '68 and then my '95 GT with a stroked Windsor, I have to remember the Cleveland. The Windsor is a pretty versatile motor. Easily 408 inches (427+ with an aftermarket block), great aftermarket Heads (AFR, etc..) supercharger possibilities and even factory style EFI. With a 383w and 8lbs of boost, I made over 500RWHP under 5500rpm and passed California smog in my '95 GT. Imagine better components (cam, throttle body, MAF, more displacement, bigger heads than AFR-185). Im not saying that its a better motor, but it certainly has its appeal.
I always think windsor first too. Been around them forever. But Ford's oddballs have always intrigued me. The cleveland isn't the only engine they've made with enormous potential that didn't last very long.

seems like a bored 289 to me. But i dont know those engines very well.
Well, stroked, but yeah same engine

True (same engine). But 550+ RWHP on pump gas and Meeting Calif emissions doesn't sound that boring to me..lol

Back