Question for droptop about his 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang convertible
Droptop, I have a 73 351c in my vert.I was told that there wasn't a lot that could be done to significantly increase the performance of this particular engine.I had thought about installing a edelbrock performer intake and holley 650 carb, but was told this maybe would only me around 10 h.p. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Whomever told you there's not much that can be done to increase the performance of a 351 Cleveland is pretty much an idiot. (There... I said it ;) )

Check out my "Garage" to see the things I've done to mine. Even though I haven't actually driven it yet, it's VERY healthy and has incredible throttle response, which bodes well for BF Goodrich to get plenty of money from me. rofl

Using CompCams "CamQuest" utility on their website, they estimate that with the components I've selected for my 351C-2V to expect somewhere around 400hp. And my engine is considered 'mildly warmed up' by many folks with more serious performance in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also recently bought a 73. Due to EPA regulations, along with consumer desire for better fuel economy, our 73's were neutered at the factory. They lowered compression ratios, used really mild can shafts and installed EGR systems. All of that can be corrected if need be.

In my case, the motor was in need of a new carb or at least a rebuild. Rather than simply replace the cab, I opted to go with an Edelbrock performer intake and their thunder series 650CFM verb. It really woke the engine up, partially because the 40-year old factory carb needed work. So I believe my swap gave me a lit more than 10 horses.

I also had a FMX transmission, and once I had swapped the intake/carb, she was a great cruising car... but I still wanted better performance from light to light, so I started to look into a more aggressive rear end. But the problem was, I was already around 2,900 RPMs at freeway speeds (70). So I ended up dropping in a wide ratio AOD transmission, which gave me a more aggressive 1st gear and overdrive.

The tranny swap made a bigger difference in performance that the intake/carb, but it was also about 3x the cist

I suggest doing a lot of research before you decide, and really weigh city versus highway use... then choose what you may want to do.

I agree with both previous posts. Here's a video of my 2V H-code Cleveland right after breaking it in after the rebuild. Mine has a mild cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, and a Holley 600CFM carb.

Although it's never been on a dyno, I'm confident the increase in horsepower was greater than 10. :)

Ditto for the aforementioned comments. Something to remember is that Ford developed the 351c as an answer to out perform the GM 350ci engines. The 351c was designed (and proven by circle track racers) to run at high rpm's all day without breaking a sweat. It's potential was never fully reached since the Horsepower Wars of the Sixties were over just as the engine was being produced and installed in vehicles. The only version of the 351c that began to show it's potential was the Boss 351 - and that was dropped after a few months of production...

I'm sure others can add comments with more information...

In addition to the motor, worry about the stall converter and the rear end.

A 1500 stall with a 2.75 cam won't get you out of the hole, but it will get you moving after 2500 RPM.

Doc can tell you how much his car woke up off the line with his 3.50.

In addition to the motor, worry about the stall converter and the rear end.

A 1500 stall with a 2.75 cam won't get you out of the hole, but it will get you moving after 2500 RPM.

Doc can tell you how much his car woke up off the line with his 3.50.
I'm just shy of 1000 miles on the rebuild, and yesterday advanced the timing a bit. The acceleration off the line is now better than what is shown in the video. :cool:

Droptop, I have a 73 351c in my vert.I was told that there wasn't a lot that could be done to significantly increase the performance of this particular engine.I had thought about installing a edelbrock performer intake and holley 650 carb, but was told this maybe would only me around 10 h.p. What can I do? Thanks for any help.
Thanks for singling me out to ask this question, I feel honored. There has been a ton of great information given so far in this post! This is truly a knowledgeable group.

My advice really delpends on how "significantly" you want to increase the power level. If your plan is a few bolt on mods, a basic intake and carb would yeild much more than 10hp on the "butt dyno" You get more airflow in a more controlled manner with the 4 barrel carb. I like Holley carbs but there can be much debate about that. I think consensus is on the Edelbrock performer manifold for a 2v based combination. Another thing that is probably more maintenance than a "performance" mod but will yield good results is to undo one of Fords changes for 73, change the timing chain using a set for the '70 - 72 era Cleveland. You don't need to go crazy with camshaft if your intent is drivability. I am not a big fan of headers on a driver combination. My thought is you don't gain much with headers if you are using a sanity preserving muffler. All of the above can be performed over a weekend in your home garage.

One thing to seriously consider if you plan to run the car hard is to replace the valves with an aftermarker set with single groove keepers. The stock valve and 3 (shallow) groove keepers have a tendency to drop valves when used at higher RPM levels. If you do that get a good 3 angle valve grind done by a competent machine shop.

Like has been mentioned before, don't overlook rear axle gear ratios. Even with a stock torque converter changing to a numerically higher gear ratio will yield great results in acceleration. The mechanical advantage allows the drivetrain to use the engine's power more effectively.

If you really want all out... that's a topic for another thread.

thanks guys for the replys.This is exactly what i needed to hear.The only classic I've had before the 73,is a 55 bel air. I'm more familiar with chevys.A friend has helped with the restoration,but is no more familiar with this engine than I.I bought this car in 2006,and should this week get it on the road finally.I like I'm sure all of you ,love the lines of these cars(7173).The information we recieved on the engine came from a local whom my friend usually asks questions of when he has a ford issue with a restoration.I should have came here with my question in the first place.I've already learned soo much from browsing thru these forums.Thaks again,I've found a home here.I should be able to post a few pics soon.

Back