Pre heat hose and intake off manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
L[/b]ooking for the hose the come of the exhaust manifold and goes to the the botton of the air filter housing. I don't see the intake for the hose. It may of rotted away and I need that part also. Anyway I looking to replace them. Does any one know a vendor who sell them or used one in good shape. I know what the hose looks like but I have never seen a photo of the intake to the hose off the manifold. if anyone got one please send me a copy. I need to know what I am looking for.

John J

the only hose that would of come from the exhaust to the carb would of been the choke control tube

but you said the one to the air cleaner from the exhaust so that would be the head riser tube.

don at Ohio has them

http://ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=708

The base of the heat riser tube is attached to a special Shield that goes on the passenger exhaust manifold. then a band clamp holds it to the air cleaner intake port. basically hotter air taken from the exhaust area is brought into the air intake there is a flapper door on the stock air cleaner base that is switched with a bi metal heat sensor. this brings the cold start engine up to temperature faster once the engine reaches optimal temperature the heat sensor switches on under the air cleaner base and the flapper door on the air base intake opens switching from hot air from the heat riser to cooler air from the top of the engine bay. the heat in the engine bay keeps the bimetal sensor active for a long time after shutdown so even and hour or 2 later when the engine is restarted it will be taking air from the colder top of the engine bay. mostly for cars that are driven in the dead of winter you need it. most people lost or removed the tube as it fell apart over time or sometimes the sensor or flapper door breaks so people just remove the tube and leave it as is sucking colder air from the top of the engine bay.

You can get them, don at Ohio might have some or ebay, they make reproduction ones also from different years but you can use them also. A 1970 would fit if its from a Cleveland.

I got mine years ago from I think ebay.

Drop don a pm.

Is the shield still available? I drive my car until October and it gets cold in Michigan then.

JohnJ

Ok I got the exhaust sheld and the heat riser hose that's to the air filter housing. Not sure what the sheild is bolted to. Anyone got a photo or can tell me what its bolted to.

Thanks

John J

Two of the exhaust manifold bolts are basically studs that you turn in until the exhaust manifold is tight, the remaining part of the stud is what the shield slips over and then you tighten with a nut...could not find pic.

Jeff

Ok I got the exhaust sheld and the heat riser hose that's to the air filter housing. Not sure what the sheild is bolted to. Anyone got a photo or can tell me what its bolted to.

Thanks

John J

Back