BREAKING VALVES

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
I'm in overhaul mod and have seen afew comments about breaking valves.. I have old receipts from previous owners for new valves, and engine old cam was pretty wild. I am installing tamer cam with new springs and lifters. should I still worry about the valves breaking? Not doing this a second time.

Alan L.

Use single groove valves and keepers. After oil starvation, broken valve is the second most common cause of Cleveland death.

Chuck

Ive had the stock 3 groove valves in mine for the last 7 years and they have done fine no problems, but I have a really small cam.
I got away with it for along time also.I was lucky when one of mine broke I was in the pits at the track.I was warming the car up and reved the engine to clean it out.My intake valve on #5 let go.I had to sleeve that cylinder and clean the piston top up,broke roller rocker,springs,etc...I am just glad I was not at speed,would have been alot more damage.

1973_Ford-43.JPG

Back