why do I like this 43-year old car so much?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

I have a new F150 and the wife drives a new Mhstang convertible. I love these cars, especially the SYNC system Ford is using now.

But what is it about the old cars?

To me its this: No carbon fibre, no Lexan, no computers, no drive-by-wire, no fuel injection, no remote start, no fake plastic chrome trim, no catalytic converters, no EGR systems, no overdrive, no electric diffs, no air bags, no heated or cooled seats...basically none the stuff thst makes todays cars so user-friendly and convenient.

A big engine, a few wires, simple suspension and steering and brskes, and thats it!

It goes fast, handles like crap, and barely stops...who could ask for more!

Seriously, even with its stone-age technology, I still love the crushing simplicity of every system.

Roadside troubles could often be fixed with onlycwhatever is rattling around in your pocket. Gotta love it!

I agree, it's all about the nostalgia for me. I've owned my 73 since 74 and still get a big smile when I drive it, even after all these years!

I have had many "what was I thinking moments" hours or days after buying another old Mustang. But I keep doing it. I recently installed a Mitchell overdrive in my 31 Model A and went for a ride--I am sure the smile on my face far exceeds any mile a newer car has brought me!

In addition to everything said so far, I would have to add: instant recognition and the 'cool factor' that goes with it.

In a sea of plain vanilla toads that make up most modern cars, classic Mustangs will always stand out and demand attention.

Not to mention, "fullfilling a childhood dream of owning a '71 Mach 1." ;)

I like the simplicity, I love being able to pop the hood and clearly identify all the parts that make the engine tick. DOn't get me wrong I love my 2012 GT/CS but there's something about opening the hood and needing to remove a piece of plastic to see the engine better that just kinda rubs me the wrong way

this is why

jeff-spicoli-with-caption.jpg

try that on anything built after 1995.

I get enjoyment scaring Prius drivers as I accelerate past them. Got to get me a "save the planet - recycle" bumper sticker to make them feel better about my rather large carbon foot print. My other vehicles are transportation, my 71 is for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get enjoyment scaring Prius drivers as I accelerate past them. Got to get me a "save the planet - recycle" bumper sticker to make them feel better about my rather large carbon foot print. My other vehicles are transportation, my 71 is for fun.
I wonder if mine would qualify for a 'Hybrid' sticker since I have parts from so many different years on it (1969 rear shock cross-member, 1972 front clip, 1985-ish Duraspark II ignition technology, 1989 AOD, etc.). rofl

Most modern cars are carbon copy crap and I've never owned a new car and probably never will, our cars are from a day when engineering met art and produced beautiful vehicles and I never fail to get a thumbs up when I take it for a spin.

I wonder if mine would qualify for a 'Hybrid' sticker since I have parts from so many different years on it (1969 rear shock cross-member, 1972 front clip, 1985-ish Duraspark II ignition technology, 1989 AOD, etc.). rofl
Well, hybrid works but in today's car market my preference would be "mutt". :p

Reuse is better than recycle!

Yeah, it's a simple car. It's old. It rattles. But I have 28 years of memories in it. Priceless.

Plus anyone can own a new car. It takes a certain personality to own and work on an old car.

Reuse is better than recycle!

Yeah, it's a simple car. It's old. It rattles. But I have 28 years of memories in it. Priceless.

Plus anyone can own a new car. It takes a certain personality to own and work on an old car.
That would be a great old car bumper sticker. "Re-use not recycle"

Everything that everyone has sad already but especially the ones Eric said...

... the 'cool factor' that goes with it.

sea of plain vanilla toads...

Not to mention, "fullfilling a childhood dream of owning a '71 Mach 1." ;)
I've loved these cars since like age 4 when my much older cousin bought a grabber blue Mach 1 and I've thought these cars were the coolest cars in the world ever since.

I LOVE DRIVING AROUND MY OLD TOYS. WAS DRIVING THE 55 ON SUNDAY. GOT MORE LOOKS THAN IF I WAS IN MY SHELBY. WHO WOULD EVER HAVE THOUGHT I BE DRIVING A CAR AS OLD AS I AM. AND THINKING I AM WAY COOL.

Back