Water on passenger side floor from A/C?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Just had my AC recharged and was working fine until I noticed some water on my passenger floor mat.

Could this be from a clogged drain from the box?

If there is one, Where is this drain hose ?

Any other ideas how this water is getting to the floor?

Thanks

Just had my AC recharged and was working fine until I noticed some water on my passenger floor mat.

Thanks
Could be condensation from the A/C unit. There is a hose on the passenger side next to the transmission tunnel that drains this. It could be clogged or if it's missing it would drain to the passenger floor.

Could be bad, but if it's water its more than likely the drain. Pull the carpet up on the passenger side, there should be a short black hose coming out of the box into a grommet in the floor board. If its antifreeze that is a different story. Let us know...

Thanks
Could be condensation from the A/C unit. There is a hose on the passenger side next to the transmission tunnel that drains this. It could be clogged or if it's missing it would drain to the passenger floor.
Come to think of it, when I replaced my carpet, I don't remember seeing a hose!

Is it against the firewall?

Could be bad, but if it's water its more than likely the drain. Pull the carpet up on the passenger side, there should be a short black hose coming out of the box into a grommet in the floor board. If its antifreeze that is a different story. Let us know...
It's clear water, no anti freeze!

yup your hose could be clogged up.

Be REALLY careful pulling on the hose because the fiberglass can snap.

move the spring clamp and see how stuck it is maybe some penetrating oil

usually you pop it off and its full of leaves and acorns. clear the tube from the fiberglass best you can.

then clean the tube, there will be a metal ring inside the rubber hose with a tiny hole in it, do not loose that it keeps insects out of the box. so clean out the hose and make sure that ring is inside clean the drain then pop it back on.

usually a leaking heater core causes problems but if you just charged the AC then the evaporator is condensing the water from the air and its backing up due to clogged drain.

if it keeps backing up then you may need to pull the box and clean it.

Thanks
+1

Has somebody an idea how to repair that part where the hose is connected?

It is broke on mine, so I can't connect the hose.
Fiberglass repair kit. Probably best if you remove the plenum and complete the cleaning and repair outside the car. While it is out, perform complete cleaning and repair of all doors, heater core, etc. Unfortunately this job is a PITA and will take some patience and effort. Something you should only have to do once!

Has somebody an idea how to repair that part where the hose is connected?

It is broke on mine, so I can't connect the hose.
Fiberglass repair kit. Probably best if you remove the plenum and complete the cleaning and repair outside the car. While it is out, perform complete cleaning and repair of all doors, heater core, etc. Unfortunately this job is a PITA and will take some patience and effort. Something you should only have to do once!
What will be the easiest way to remove the plenum?

there is no such thing as easy with that box. easiest is remove the entire dash assembly.

otherwise working around it. you have vacuum lines that must be disconnected. the heater core hoses in the engine bay have to be disconnected. the A/C freon has to be drained and the hoses and expansion valve have to be removed.

from inside the car, glovebox insert and i would remove the glovebox door to gain access.

there is a dash board support bracket that has to come out. the accessories panel that is above the glovebox has to come out, unplugging all the wires.

i think i had to pop the dash top and remove the passenger side vent tube that goes to the air vent.

then there are electrical connectors on the box.

1 screw up by the fresh air intake hat.

then 2 or 3 nuts you have to access in the engine bay.

remove the passenger Seat!

you then play the worst game of tetris Ever trying to get the box out with out breaking it because the fiberglass is brittle.

once the thing is out you have to rebuilt it clean it out hope nothing else is broken then reassemble and then reinstall it.

http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/72hcode/library/Heater%20Box%20AC?sort=2&page=1

i spent a couple of weeks getting mine out, fixed and in.

also when you do this you find out how bad the rust is on your cowl.... usually you cry a lot.

if you can get your hands around the drain you might be able to patch it, you will need to pull the seats out and i would pull the carpets out to get access, then you could wrap the drain with repair cloth and mix up resin to try and stabilize the crack. or black duct tape that sucker back on and never talk about it again :D

Checked the hose today and it was there.

1. the hose was clogged

2. The spring clamp was below where it needed to be

Cleared the clog and re connected correctly and no more water leak!

Thanks guys.

Back