Need to lower seat height

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Q code Mach 1
Is there any way short of cutting up the seat platforms to lower the seat height in a fastback? I tried to sit in mine the other day with my helmet on and my head is hard against the roof cross member... And this is before I reupholster and replace the seat foam..

That would kinda preclude any competition plans I had for the car..

:(

They don't make fast back replicas (that I'm aware of) they only make coupes, if its been restored and those replaced they aren't correct they are taller. You can drill the spot welds and move the plat form back. It's a slopped floor so the further back you go the "lower" the seat will ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mach1 boxes are only about an inch off the floor pan as it is. About all you could do is weld studs to a flat plate and weld it to the floor.

Have you ever had your seats out? I needed to replace my seat tracks, and while doing so, discovered that my seats were sitting on top of 1" spacers.

Four cuts with a plasma cutter to the seat frame mount. Cut a 1/2" to 1" strip from both the front and rear of the seat frame then weld it back together where the cut was made. Spray with rust bullet, reinstall carpet and seats then go race.

We'll see how involved the car gets body work wise after I get it on a frame rack and get the front end straightened out... I might end up getting deeper into than I wanted at this point....

Not a bad suggestion. I tend to prefer a more upright position.. but I'm not comfortable even without a helmet on as is...

The seats have been out a few times, and I never noticed spacers. I'll have a closer look. Right now I'm busy getting the rear end and suspension back under it so it can go to the body shop.

Back