Do you have a "pet peeve" about your Mustang?

Guest Kit Sullivan

Guest Kit Sullivan

Are there any designed-in oddities or other annoying things about your Mustang that just gets under your skin?

Mine is the dash-lighting system. When my car was new, it was barely adequate. As the years and miles piled on, it just got unbearably bad.

When I restored the car, I fixed it...sort of. I repainted the inside reflective surfaces of my dash cluster bright white, very high gloss. The factory paint is kind of flat, and had faded considerably over the years.

I took all those faded and hazed-over blue "domes" off completely, and spray-painted a bunch of 168( or is 194?...I forget) bulbs transparent blue, and installed them but left the blue "domes" off.

That dash now looks perfect, and is so bright I actually have the brightness turned down a bit.

I think there are blue-tinted bulbs avsilable now, so you don't even have to paint them!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there any designed-in oddities or other annoying things about your Mustang that just gets under your skin?

Mine is the dash-lighting system. When my car was new, it was barely adequate. As the years and miles piled on, it just got unbearably bad.

When I restored the car, I fixed it...sort of. I repainted the inside reflective surfaces of my dash cluster bright white, very high gloss. The factory paint is kind of flat, and had faded considerably over the years.

I took all those faded and hazed-over blue "domes" off completely, and spray-painted a bunch of 168( or is 194?...I forget) bulbs transparent blue, and installed them but left the blue "domes" off.

That dash now looks perfect, and is so bright I actually have the brightness turned down a bit.

I think there are blue-tinted bulbs avsilable now, so you don't even have to paint them!

I actually just installed the Hipo Parts Garage Elite Led Light setup to take care of that problem. Significant improvement over the stock dash lighting. I would take pics but my dash is still apart. I had to order a Headlight Switch because mine was already flickering and finally decided to let go. I will do a How To on that most likely when I get it done.

Boy though you aren't joking about the crappy dash lighting. I also had a turn signal bulb out amongst other bulbs.

My pet peeve is the steering wheel; I don't have a tilt wheel and always find the position of the wheel annoying.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Three things:

1. Backlight angle. I'm not so sure I'll be able to get used to it. As a novelty, it's cool... but I can only imagine [since I haven't actually driven it yet] that it's a major PITA to back up. Hence my plans of a back-up camera.

2. Woodgrain trim. Total cheese... wood grain belongs on Grandma's station wagon, not a hot rod muscle car. Totally going to replace wood grain with carbon fiber vinyl.

3. Tail light shape/design. Worst ever. Trapezoidal shape screams "Brady Bunch" to me, and the configuration (in having the reverse light in the middle of a reflector stuck between the active lights) is totally out-of-characted for the "Mustang" in general. IMHO, they should've continued with the 3 vertical combination parking/signal lights, and detached round reverse lights in the valance.

Otherwise, I love it and can't wait to start enjoying mine once it's on the road.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I don't like the way they designed in debris traps to hold in sand and dirt to cause RUST!!!

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

Guest Kit Sullivan

Three things:

1. Backlight angle. I'm not so sure I'll be able to get used to it. As a novelty, it's cool... but I can only imagine [since I haven't actually driven it yet] that it's a major PITA to back up. Hence my plans of a back-up camera.

It isn't tarrible once you get used to it. Just make sure you are WAY far ahead of the car you are passing before changing lanes in front of him! backing up is always a nail-biter! Your back-up camera is a great idea!

2. Woodgrain trim. Total cheese... wood grain belongs on Grandma's station wagon, not a hot rod muscle car. Totally going to replace wood grain with carbon fiber vinyl.

The woodgrain is part and parcel a look of the seventies. I think it goes perfectly with the car. But...to each his own.

3. Tail light shape/design. Worst ever. Trapezoidal shape screams "Brady Bunch" to me, and the configuration (in having the reverse light in the middle of a reflector stuck between the active lights) is totally out-of-characted for the "Mustang" in general. IMHO, they should've continued with the 3 vertical combination parking/signal lights, and detached round reverse lights in the valance.

Really? I kind of like the 71-73 tail-lights. Very unique and no other car has anything that looks like these. The new Mustang's tail-lights are obviously inspired by the look of these. They were really trying to make the Mustang look radically different and new when these came out, but still keep some "heritage' about the look, hence the bizzarly new and different shape to the lights. Again, I like 'em. I have seen many custom big-bodies over the years with 65-66 style lights on them: Looks stuipid. I've seen 'em with Shelby-esque T-Bird/Cougar lights on 'em: looks like a poor wanna-be Shelby imitation. I even saw one with a 70 Torino GT full-width taillight grafted on. Looked pretty good, but made the car look like a...Torino!

Otherwise, I love it and can't wait to start enjoying mine once it's on the road.

i have to say the seats don't recline back and tilt steering wheel also.

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT*****KEEP YOUR FOOT ON THE PEDAL

Ron

1972 mustang convertible

2005 mustang convertible

1999 mustang convertible white (sold)

1994 mustang convertible white (sold)

2008 ford edge copper

2006 cadillac cts radaint bronze

I can honestly say nothing bothers me about my car. I love the way it looks from every angle. The seat/steering wheel position is perfect for me. I got used to the rear visibility very quickly and don't have a issue with it.

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-mach-1]Visit My Garage[/button]

My pet peeve is the steering wheel; I don't have a tilt wheel and always find the position of the wheel annoying.

Mike , I will gladly sell you a 73 tilt column :D

After I solved the dim gauges problem, the only thing that really bugs me is the reflection of the dash in the windshield. Sometimes can't see a thing.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

I can honestly say nothing bothers me about my car. I love the way it looks from every angle. The seat/steering wheel position is perfect for me. I got used to the rear visibility very quickly and don't have a issue with it.

Yup I tend to agree with this. The way I got used to the rear visibility is to not use it. The rear view mirror fell off and I never put it back. I'm just extra careful with lane changes to the right lane.

spacer.png

I guess good thing I have a Convertible, because rear visibility is not an Issue :D

895802118_rearview.thumb.jpg.aaaeaebf8083dad1b066146cc56bc80b.jpg

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

After I solved the dim gauges problem, the only thing that really bugs me is the reflection of the dash in the windshield. Sometimes can't see a thing.

Yep!

And the outside handles keep breaking.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I would have to say rear visibility.

It is like a pillbox, you can't see anything

out the back. Then again, when driving

a Mustang what's behind you is not important.

mike

spacer.png

I guess good thing I have a Convertible, because rear visibility is not an Issue :D

Wow! you can actually fit people in the back seat?

My kids hate riding in the back seat :D

When I was a kid we loved to ride on the hump in the winter.

Three things:

I'm stripping off the wood grain on the door panels, applying a texture, and painting it to match the seat stripe.

I would have to say rear visibility.

It is like a pillbox, you can't see anything

out the back. Then again, when driving

a Mustang what's behind you is not important.

mike

Yup...I like to call them bunkers..lol...You defenatly feel like you are in one...The doors are really thick..And you got slits to look threw...Not the worst rear veiw of any car..But its not great that is for sure..lol

Winter... I don't get to drive it!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned trying to clean the inside of the flatback backlight. I have a 66 fastback, and cleaning that thing is a bitch. I can't imagine how difficult it is in the 71-73's.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg

The steering wheel makes a squeaking noise when turned. I had

a mechanic take it apart and lube it (do not know with what);

helped a little for a short time. Is a tilt wheel. Tried to spray

some silicone in without taking apart but that didn't help.