Anyone into ham radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
I just bought a cool hand held radio that many ham radio guys recommend. I bought it because all of my other walkie talkie radios are the plastic package wrap variety that you can get at BassPro or and sports store. Those all have fixed antennas and that is the limiting factor. I can only talk to my kids around the neighborhood and no farther...about a half mile or so.

My new hand held has a detachable antenna and operates on the same frequencies as the $60 Motorolas I have. The new radio can also transmit on a bunch of other frequencies. I'm thinking about getting my Ham license which aparently is really easy and only $14 for a 10 year license. The test is 35 questions and can be passed after skimming through the study booklet.

I've always been interested in computers, radios, the weather and such. This may be a neat way to combine all those interest into something I can use in addition to tracking down my kids when they run off to their friends houses.

Just wondering if anyone on here has messed with ammerature radio stuff.

I actually work for a Motorola Radio Shop. I'm a technician and I'm a 94 E in the military. Basically a radio guy for the military too. If you have questions I would be able to help or find the answers. When I get the stang done I was looking into creating a real repeater system in my car to actually get good range out of of portables so when you convoy places with other enthusiasts you can actually talk with distance. Hope I can help.

-Brandon

Cool Brandon. I want to stay legal so getting the license is my first order of business before I transmit outside the free frequencies anyone can use. The ham bands seem to be unlimited in the possibilities compared to the bubble pack radios...and it's all legal with the license.

I need to figure out a homemade antenna. Looks easy and cheap on the internet sites and youtube but I haven't made one yet.

I don't deal alot with HAM stuff, however I know a couple techs to ask about it. A general guide is the higher the better (antenna wise), the antenna tuned properly so it resonates correctly, and good quality line from the base to the antenna. I'm sure I could find some high quality coax for you. The trick is telling me what connectors you need from radio to antenna and the length. That way I can figure out what you need.

My call is wb9tfr i got licensed in 1968 i've had a great time all these years Even had the chance to operate from the nasa location in Houston where they were bouncing the signal off the moon to talk to a group from russia.

Some people go crazy with height, but a good peak on a house with maybe like a 6 foot pipe on it. That's actually why you see towers. A decent power radio can reach around 50 miles, with an antenna that far up!

My HOA's rules don't allow antennas so I have to be stealthy about it...like in a tree or something. I am one of the highest houses in the neighborhood though and mostly at the same elevation as the the highest areas in the general vicinity.

My call is wb9tfr i got licensed in 1968 i've had a great time all these years Even had the chance to operate from the nasa location in Houston where they were bouncing the signal off the moon to talk to a group from russia.
Excellent! Can I call you my virtual Elmer? ;)

I would be happy to help

look up fcc PRB1 and that ruling states that Hoa's have to allow antennas for licensed operaters due to the emergency communications that hams help with but if you don't want to fight them i can get you plans to put an antenna into a flag pole that will allow you to talk to the world

also i would check out any local ham clubs i found one in Covington county- no clue where that is in relation to you. but they have classes and administer tests

Talked to another tech and he said there are multiple HAM frequencies in different band ranges (Low band, VHF, UHF, 800) things like that. That excites me because as long as we can determine your broadcast band we can gear a professional system. If you don't want to fight you HOA I understand. I would not put it in the middle of a tree in bloom. Those leave will cut significantly in range. After finding out your range we can decide the best option of attack for you. They don't need to be huge ugly monstrosities, it could be stealthily enough nobody would care.

I would be happy to help

look up fcc PRB1 and that ruling states that Hoa's have to allow antennas for licensed operaters due to the emergency communications that hams help with but if you don't want to fight them i can get you plans to put an antenna into a flag pole that will allow you to talk to the world

also i would check out any local ham clubs i found one in Covington county- no clue where that is in relation to you. but they have classes and administer tests
I just read PRB1. Fantastic news! Baby steps though...I need to get the license first. ;)

I've been looking at different antennas and mobile/portable radios. There are many, many antenna types, so much so that I'm a bit overwhelmed with what's out there. As far as radios go I've been looking at the Yeasu FT-1900R or the FT-2900R.

Cool Brandon. I want to stay legal so getting the license is my first order of business before I transmit outside the free frequencies anyone can use. The ham bands seem to be unlimited in the possibilities compared to the bubble pack radios...and it's all legal with the license.

I need to figure out a homemade antenna. Looks easy and cheap on the internet sites and youtube but I haven't made one yet.
Don't get a homemade antenna. I do this for a living ill hook you up with something professional grade. The antenna system is the most crucial part.

I would be happy to help

I just read PRB1. Fantastic news! Baby steps though...I need to get the license first. ;)

I've been looking at different antennas and mobile/portable radios. There are many, many antenna types, so much so that I'm a bit overwhelmed with what's out there. As far as radios go I've been looking at the Yeasu FT-1900R or the FT-2900R.
You'll get alot more range out of a moble that a portable. You could in theory hook a portable up to and external antenna and disconnect it when your on the go.

Last edited by a moderator:
My pal John at work (my boss too, before a stroke messed up his vision) is into Ham stuff. The boss had a really cool weather station that he passed along to John, that feeds a web site on Weather Underground: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=31.38828850,-100.46031952&sp=KTXSANAN180

It's a really nice set-up that interfaces with an application on a WinXP PC to upload the data to the Wunderground page. I'll get the details from him on Monday if you like.
Eric, I use wunderground almost exclusively for day to day internet weather updates. lot's of cool features on that site.

You'll get alot more range out of a moble that a portable. You could in theory hook a portable up to and external antenna and disconnect it when your on the go.
I was thinking of using the mobile rig as my repeater for my handheld. Still researching.

I think my HOA would back down if I showed good will by keep it clean looking, somewhat stealthy and in the back yard...especially if I present PRB1 to them. They are already watching my because I have a bunch of mustangs in my driveway. However, they have no say since that's not in the covenants. ;) I do want to be a good neighbor and keep the peace as much as possible.

Thanks for the antenna offer. Let me first get into this a bit deeper in determining what I actually need in terms of what bands are active in this area. I know the 2 meter is pretty active. I have no idea about the 70 cm but that's the band my kid's radios are on and the whole idea was to initially reach their radios by getting a full 5w portable that has a much better and interchangeable antenna on it.

I would be happy to help

Looked up that FT-1900R seems fine to me. I like that it's in 136 to 174 MHz that's VHF. We would need to narrow it down to what you'd be broadcasting on for anntenna tunning. You don't have to get that one, however, I would recommend you keep it VHF 90% of law uses that band. And it's pretty robust. Low band is like a women with vengeance for finickness, and high band is perfect or it's garbage. VHF is the sweet spot in my eyes. Keep in mind technically anything out of HAM frequencies are "illegal" to broad cast on (if your not licensed to that exact frequency). But if it's a clean unused frequency, the FCC is not driving around in spy vans trying to find "illegal" broad casters. Do remember narrow banding regulations was in effect as of Jan 1st this year. HAM might be exempt, like the weather channels but other "licensed" frequencies are not.

The NSA might be watching but the FCC is a bunch of suits behind a desk. Lol.

I was thinking of using the mobile rig as my repeater for my handheld. Still researching.

I think my HOA would back down if I showed good will by keep it clean looking, somewhat stealthy and in the back yard...especially if I present PRB1 to them. They are already watching my because I have a bunch of mustangs in my driveway. However, they have no say since that's not in the covenants. ;) I do want to be a good neighbor and keep the peace as much as possible.

Thanks for the antenna offer. Let me first get into this a bit deeper in determining what I actually need in terms of what bands are active in this area. I know the 2 meter is pretty active. I have no idea about the 70 cm but that's the band my kid's radios are on and the whole idea was to initially reach their radios by getting a full 5w portable that has a much better and interchangeable antenna on it.
That isn't quite as easy as you would think it would be. A repeater is very complex in that situation (same band broadcasting). I can do it with spare parts (I'm a junk collector). The duplexer alone, new could be 500 bucks. And you need two separate radios merged into one (which is why you need a duplexor), unless you have an actually stand alone repeater. With antennas a large distance apart. Plus you need a power supply. It's a long list. Sketch out an idea of exactly what you want to do (a general idea), figure out you band range, not by antenna length but by actual frequency. And I can tell you exactly what you need, why, and how it works.

I'm the cat lady of the spare part world! I knew saving all these odds and ends would come in handy. Now I going text proof on why I can argue with the lady on what my pile of teasures are! Lol.

P.S. don't worry about cost like I said I got most of the stuff laying around so no worries there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The frequencies I'd use the most initially are 144-148MHZ, 420-450MHZ, and 462-468MHz. Maybe the 50-54MHz 6 meter band as well...TBD.

Basically the VHF and UHF bands.

The frequencies I'd use the most initially are 144-148MHZ, 420-450MHZ, and 462-468MHz. Maybe the 50-54MHz 6 meter band as well...TBD.

Basically the VHF and UHF bands.
Those are frequencies that are far enough to need multiple radios. I am not aware of radios that can do this. Then again scanners can read a range that far. Ill look into it.

Back