Dash light bulb replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
My high beam indicator red pony does not light up when the high beam lights are on. I am thinking the bulb needs to be replaced and want to know how to get to it. Do I have to take the dash apart ? Any shortcuts?

Any help would be great.

John J

Remove the steering column cover, bezel and the 4 screws that hold the gauges in place. Reach behind an release the speedometer cable by pushing down on the tab of the cable. Unplug the wire holder. There you are.

Remove the steering column cover, bezel and the 4 screws that hold the gauges in place. Reach behind an release the speedometer cable by pushing down on the tab of the cable. Unplug the wire holder. There you are. I put in LEDs from OMS at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What they said it isn't that had I just replaced my bulbs with LEDS a few days ago. Biggest issue will be the holders are brittle so I would suggest having a few spares. That way if they do like some of mine and come apart as you remove them its is an easy replacement . Instead having to wait a few days for parts to come in with the car ripped apart.

Also if you have the dreaded light flickering issue this is a good time to replace the headlight switch.

Just be careful about the source of the bulb holders. The ones I bought from NPD as replacements (listed specifically for 71-73 Mustangs) did not line up. They looked good but the contacts were off about 20 degrees and did not touch the copper on the PC when turned into place.

+1 on the LED replacements. Since you have the gauge unit out, it is a quick job just to replace them all. The kit I got even came with green LEDs for the turn signals and red ones for the brake light and high beam indicator.

I agree on the bulb holders from NPD. I complained and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

If I remember the high beam light might be one you can get to without pulling the dash board.

Some bulbs you can actually reach from behind the bulbs on the left side are easier to get to from behind the dash. The center and right side are covered by support brackets and metal dash pieces.

You may need to pull the drivers seat lay on the floorboard and look up, but I would rather try that first then start pulling the dash. The pad has to come off. The column has be dropped or you need to pull the steering wheel. Etc ... More involved for a bulb if you can just reach it. Look first.

Come to think of it I did loosen the coloumn nuts to get the steering wheel down out of the way. But that was all I needed. I didn't pull the pad or the wheel.

yup you can do that but then make sure you double check your rag joint engagement after. the safest is actually pulling the steering wheel.

if you have a nasty fuse box when you drop the column you can suddenly have bad contact issues and wire gremlins.

the reason the top pad has to come off is if you have the deluxe interior panels. it catches under the pad also sometimes the stupid speedo cable will not pop off and you need 2 hands one from above to get it. also when you plug in the main harness to the mylar sometimes it won't seat right and you need your hand again from the top to make sure the connector snaps in place. omg i hate doing mine every time i had to pull the cluster it turned into a 2 night deal.

These pictures may help, looks like the high beam pony bulb is below the speedo cable connection so you may be able to reach it without taking the panel out:

Ole Pony had it right. I was able to reach the bulb with out disconnecting the speedometer cable or the wiring harness. Having tilt wheel make this petty easy. The red pony rides again. Thanks to everyone who responded.

John J

Back