Anti freeze leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Just when I thought the leaks where just about fixed. Now there's green anti freeze on the garage floor. But this one has me a little baffled.

From what I can see there's a small puddle right under where the upper radiator hose clamps to the thermostat housing on the engine block. That would account for the puddle on the garage floor.

But there's another small puddle on the garage floor. Facing the engine, it's a few inches to the left of the puddle in front of the engine and a few inches away from the front of the engine going towards the firewall.

Therefore, I'm not sure if I have 1 leak or 2.

There's also no strange noise as if the water pump is going.

Any thoughts?

check if anti-freeze is running down the bottom of the hose and leaking from the lowest point.

I had a fun leak from my reproduction heater hoses. they had pin hole weeping leaking and i would get drops condensing from the low point on the hoses and then a puddle. one day i figured out the actual hose was defective and replace it.

check if anti-freeze is running down the bottom of the hose and leaking from the lowest point.

I had a fun leak from my reproduction heater hoses. they had pin hole weeping leaking and i would get drops condensing from the low point on the hoses and then a puddle. one day i figured out the actual hose was defective and replace it.
I felt under the upper hose and it was dry. The only thing I do see that there's antifreeze right below where the hose meets the thermo housing.

So not sure if the hose is leaking where it's connected or maybe the thermo gasket is leaking on the underside where I can't see it.

Unfort, I guess I'll start by changing the upper hose. But still not sure where the other puddle is coming from or could it be one leak that's moving down the engine and splitting in two different directions.

you can have a leak at the thermostat housing. are you using oem parts or that chromed ford racing stuff with the oring gasket?

the ford racing stuff is junk, the chrome separates from the base metal and you get a never ending leak the o ring seal is garabage also.

if you have the oem thermostat housing you may need to pull it inspect and reseal if it is really rusty inside then i would replace it you can still get it NOS. they can also rust through and you get pin hole leaks.

you can try putting some toilet paper at the base of the thermostat housing and see if it gets wet then you know its from top end.

there are also Coolant Holes below on the water pump housing, you have the hole for the coolant temp sensor and the Distributor Vaccum Control Valve hole. if you have a plug in the Distributor Vaccum Control Valve hole that could be leaking. or you could have a leak from the coolant sensor.

It looks like the oem housing. Over the next few days I'll have the time to see what's going on as things get pulled apart.

I'm really hoping that's it just the upper radiator hose as it is time for it to be replaced (but not holding my breath).

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have oem style rad hoses with the wire band clamps sometimes they leak from the staples that hold the clamp. Then you have to move the hose forward a little onto flange and re tighten.

It looks like the oem housing. Over the next few days I'll have the time to see what's going on as things get pulled apart.

I'm really hoping that's it just the upper radiator hose as it is time for it to be replaced (but not holding my breath).

Thanks

So here's the story (I'm thinking of changing the stangs name from Mustang Sally to Damn Mustang).

The Thermostat housing needed to be changed. With that of course, the upper, lower and bypass hoses were done. New thermostat including the Ported Vacuum Switch...of course the new housing also needed to be painted blue to match the engine and it goes without saying 2 gallons of anti freeze.

So for now everything is working and no leak

Back