your "one you should never have let go" story...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

This is a little different: what is your story about one you already had, but for one reason or another you got rid of, and now regret today?

I have a few, but here are three:

1) 1972 Hurst/Olds convertible: great car, 455 "Rocket", "his & hers" shifter, giant ram-air hood, extremely fast and handled great considering what it was. Kinda rougb needed a lot of body and interior work. Sold it because I never thought it would be worth much. What a dummy.

2) 1978 "King Cobra" Mustang II: when I lived in Boise, had a stripper gjrlfriend for a while who had no car. I wanted to buy her one, but seeing as how good looking she was, I figured she needed something kind of

flashy. And cheap.

I saw a King Cobra at a used car lot parked in back and asked about it. Owner of the lot said he had it for 6 months and ckuldn't give it away. ( thjs was in 85', and these cars had no love). I gave him $500 for it.

302 ( anemic), 4 speed, t-tops, 30,000 miles, excellent condition, drove great,

Split up with thd girl 2 years later, I kept the car. It sat around for a year collecting dust, sold it for $1500, thought I had won the lottery. Wish I had that car ( and the girl!) today...

3) 73 AMX, 401 engine. Extremely fast, but brown paint, a million door dings, and rust under vinyl roof was too much for me at the time. Hideous, huge multi-colored stripes on seats door panels and hesdliner. Sold it for thd first $1800 that came along. Later discovered it ti be a 1-of-20 "Pierre Cardin" limjted edition AMXs. Exact models have sold $60,000 restored. Oh well.

But...I still have my Mustang!

I have one that I let go and wish from day one that I hadn't.

She wasn't even a stripper (but coulda been!).

Vehicle wise,

- My high school '73 Grand Torino Sport fastback. Factory 400 auto/AC/vinyl roof/green on green (yuk) and rustfree. Bought in '81 for $800. Left as a cammed 351W/FMX in nice paint and perfectly restomodded for $1700 in '84-85ish. Thought it wouldn't be worth anything either.

- '71 Datsun 240Z. Had it at the same time as Torino. All stock, 42K miles, chrome slots, 6/2 header with homemade Jaguar style out the back exhaust with straight Thrush mufflers. Power, sound, fuel economy, killer looks and a penchant for collecting speeding tickets (one or 'em I coulda gone to jail for... make that 2 of 'em).

85 Nissan 300zx turbo, 5 SPD. Fire engine red, 350z wheels rust free. Many mods including custom computer programming, added intercooler piping, increased boost psi. Jim Wolfe camshafts, adj cam gears etc. wicked car t-tops that did NOT LEAK!! Mated with a j-30 "posi" differential and Tokico suspension the car was awesome, under hard launches the whole rear would squat and plant itself until you shifted. I was young, no wife, good money and not enough sense. Almost wrecked it twice but because it was my only ride I had to drive home in the snow/ice and no matter how hard you babied it it slid everywhere. It dropped a lifter and I traded it for a jeep Cherokee 4x4 with 60k miles and $1000. After that winter it has never snowed again.

My high school car 65 mustang coupe fully restored as I was 12 when I got it and replaced frame rails, floor pans, cowl, and just about everything a 12 yo could do with parents divorced and received a classic car to ease the pains. To much sentimental value and in the crash of 08 I had to sell it or loose the house. Only got $2600 for it and not a day goes by I'm not searching Clist and Internet sites waiting for it to pop up.

Well I have had several that I regret but foremost would be a 68 GT fastback 4 speed highland green mustang, 74 Torino with 400 and C6 trans rootbeer brown, and my dad's old 69 chevy c10 that he drove for 20 years

My first vehicle. A 1957 Chevy step side pickup truck. I got it when I was 13 for $125. Had the 265 v8 and a 3 on the tree. It was really really rough. It never ran, but I put a good bit of work into it. I had big pro street plans for it. Realizing it wouldn't be ready by my 16th bday, I bought the mustang.

We eventually moved and didn't have room for 2 projects. I sold it for $100. I plan on finding it one day and getting it back. Probably going to go "rat rod" style with it.

I still have mine! It has been a bitch to keep them, but my 67 and 69 Cougars are Keepers. My 67 is still really rough, but is a one of two, by color combination..My 69 is a work in progress, that I have been planning since I was 16.....Wow, 32 years worth!

1961 Starliner. Z code, Solid lifter 390, factory ford tri power, 3 speed manual with overdrive, 15 inch Kelsey Hayes rims..........

One of very few real HI-[/b]PO starliners.

I bought it for 6500.00 put some elbow grease into it and sold it for 15K. I thought I was brillant.

The guy I sold it to flipped it for 45K and did nothing. The gut who bought it from him did a 100 point perfect restoration on it and still has it.

One sold at Mechem for well over 100K a few years back.

Did I mention that I am brillant!

- Paul

1948 Indian Bonneville Chief, 1951 Mercury coupe,

1956 Tbird, all from 1950 to 1962. Reasons for letting go:

college, navy, growing family. Good decisions at the time

but would like them back.

71 Sportsroof. I owned it all the way through high school and college. I sold the car when my first was born. Giving up the car was a no brainer because family comes first. Still, the first chance I got when money was a bit less tight, I bought the 73 Mach 1 and am back in that family as well.

I would love to have a big block 64 galaxy 500. If I ever get the one I want I'll never let it go.

I've lost several cars to driver abuse. Most of my cars I drove like stolen dump trucks! One car I actually sold to someone and not as a settlement from an insurance company was a 1972 Gran Torino Sport. Gold Glow (6F), laser stripes, magnums, high back bucket seats, and it was a 429 car! The original "N" code 429 was a little tame for me. So I found a Cobra Jet 429 and a set of 72 Police Interceptor heads and a one year only non egr spread bore intake. Talk about a torque making monster! But a year and several tickets later I decided I had better make some changes before my insurance dropped me and the state started charging me for the cost of their ticket books from the printer. So I sold her to a good home...but I still miss that car and the sound of that spread bore at full throttle trying to suck the hood inside out!

1965 coupe. New everything from cowl to frame rails, floor pans to gas tank. Did get me plenty of chicks in high school. Org.6 cyl car, swapped built 289 A code? Built C4, 3:55 locker. Sold for $2600 in 2008 when ford dealer I worked at closed up due to no work and jobs were non existent. Thought I could keep the house but lost that too. If I knew how bad it really would get I would rather lived in that 65.

uploadfromtaptalk1398786422801.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

This is a little different: what is your story about one you already had, but for one reason or another you got rid of, and now regret today?

I have a few, but here are three:

1) 1972 Hurst/Olds convertible: great car, 455 "Rocket", "his & hers" shifter, giant ram-air hood, extremely fast and handled great considering what it was. Kinda rougb needed a lot of body and interior work. Sold it because I never thought it would be worth much. What a dummy.

2) 1978 "King Cobra" Mustang II: when I lived in Boise, had a stripper gjrlfriend for a while who had no car. I wanted to buy her one, but seeing as how good looking she was, I figured she needed something kind of

flashy. And cheap.

I saw a King Cobra at a used car lot parked in back and asked about it. Owner of the lot said he had it for 6 months and ckuldn't give it away. ( thjs was in 85', and these cars had no love). I gave him $500 for it.

302 ( anemic), 4 speed, t-tops, 30,000 miles, excellent condition, drove great,

Split up with thd girl 2 years later, I kept the car. It sat around for a year collecting dust, sold it for $1500, thought I had won the lottery. Wish I had that car ( and the girl!) today...

3) 73 AMX, 401 engine. Extremely fast, but brown paint, a million door dings, and rust under vinyl roof was too much for me at the time. Hideous, huge multi-colored stripes on seats door panels and hesdliner. Sold it for thd first $1800 that came along. Later discovered it ti be a 1-of-20 "Pierre Cardin" limjted edition AMXs. Exact models have sold $60,000 restored. Oh well.

But...I still have my Mustang!
Kit..... not sure if you're serious or not but the link has something that MAY interest you......

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/4405807180.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy. The awesomness of the 1983 chrysler fifth avenue. This isn't ours but a great example:

28535930001_large.jpg

That's right. You are looking at the mighty fifth avenue. Psuedo leather interior. PLUSH velour 'lazy boy' seats. You felt like you were in your living room, which is good because you were not moving much faster than sitting still. Blue pinstripes. Fake wire wheels (a pain to clean). Is that a vinyl top? You bet it is. Soft as a baby's bottom. Don't be fooled by those side grills, they are fake. They didn't use real ones from concern that the bad *** 318 would somehow break out from the engine compartment. The 2bbl carb had ventri almost as big as the opening on a can of bud light, yes, each one!. It was a thinking mans car. You had to think about speeding up before a long hill otherwise you might not be going faster than 5mph when you got to the top.

It's the only car we ever sold/traded in. All others have either burnt up (car b que) or been totalled including my beloved Mach 1. 1973. First car I ever owned. 351C, fold down rear seat. Taken out by a drunk driver before it was even a decade old and 'just another mustang'. I love my convertible but there are times I wish I still had the Mach 1.

Oh, there was the 1981 wagoneer that I wheel'd to death and traded for an 1982 cherokee. I regret letting go of the waggy. It was parted out and scrapped so it didn't end up in someone elses hands. It was just too far gone to try to bring back.

Back