1971 Grande Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shutt24

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande
Finally found a website for 71 - 73 mustangs. I have been posting on other sites for a couple years but I do not get a lot of help from those folks. Here is a little history on what I have. I obtained a 71 Grande a few years back that was in fair shape but restorable. I was able to get it and a title for just hauling it away. The motor and transmission had been taken out and sold. Everything else was there except the engine bay was pretty well stripped. I have replaced the driver and passenger floor pans and toe boards. Installed a couple fender aprons and started repairing the cowl. I have since moved to the rear of the car and removed the trunk floor and tail light panel. I am in the process of welding in the trunk floor. In my excitement of tearing out the rear of the beast I forgot to get a couple measurements. I need the measurement from the trunk floor to the top of the tail light panel. I probably need a middle and two near the end to be safe. I was wondering if I aligned the bottom flange of the tail light panel with the rear crossmember flange would it be correct? I just need to make sure I get the tail light panel installed correctly. Any help will be appreciated. I will try to post some photos when I get some good ones.

Oops. Sounds like you got carried away with the strip down. Been there.

I am not near car now since I am at work so if you don't get an answer before I get home I'll get it for you.

Oops. Sounds like you got carried away with the strip down. Been there.

I am not near car now since I am at work so if you don't get an answer before I get home I'll get it for you.
Welcome to the forums! Glad you finally found us!

::welcome::

This might help some

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-trunk-rehab?highlight=panel

72hcode had a good thread on this also and a couple more members also. Will search here when I get home. If you have not done it yet go to the introductions thread and let everyone know who you are so you will get a proper welcome.
Hello there and welcome!!

X2 on that thread and X2 on 72Hcode (scott) being the man for this advise... Keep loging in and you´ll solve this particular problem perfectly...

WELCOME aboard!

Have you decided whether you are planning on restoring or modifying? If you have not already done so, you might want to consider ordering the "Marti Report" as they may influence your approach.

However you proceed, I am sure you will find supporters here on the Site. I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums.

Again, Welcome!!

BT

WELCOME aboard!

Have you decided whether you are planning on restoring or modifying? If you have not already done so, you might want to consider ordering the "Marti Report" as they may influence your approach.

However you proceed, I am sure you will find supporters here on the Site. I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums.

Again, Welcome!!

BT
X2 on that too!! Not only you can surprise with the marti report but knowing how the car came out of the factory is a big thing...

i´m from overseas where mustang almost doesn´t exist... nobody even know about Marti Reports and nobody spends 60 buck on a piece of paper...

Well.. I did and the results were great.. not only found out some particularities that my car has but having the information of how my car was in his first days felt great... I´m now trying to recolect info and money to restore as his factory stocks :)

Maybe even if you´re gonna modify yours, is good to know how the car supossed to be in order to unmodify it if some day you prefer his classic looks..... You can proceed on modifications that has an easy way out...

Well.. as i said a few minutes ago in another post, today my english is messy!!! so sorry if i´m imposible to understand :p

This car originally was a 302 with a FMX transmission and an 8 inch rear end. My plan is to install a 351 windsor with a T5 and upgrade to a 9 inch rear end.

I want to have a little fun with it on Sunday afternoons. I am purist at heart and like to keep things original. However, this car has so much rust and I am having to fabricate and replace so much that it will not be original when I finish. I have a 69 covertible also that I plan to restore back to original once I am finished with this project. I did get my trunk floor welded in and and the plug welds ground down. Here are a few pics, I still need the tail light panel measurements when someone gets time. Thanks for all the welcomes.

DSCN2517.JPGDSCN2518.JPGDSCN2519.JPGDSCN2515.JPGDSCN2516.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This car originally was a 302 with a FMX transmission and an 8 inch rear end. My plan is to install a 351 windsor with a T5 and upgrade to a 9 inch rear end.

I want to have a little fun with it on Sunday afternoons. I am purist at heart and like to keep things original. However, this car has so much rust and I am having to fabricate and replace so much that it will not be original when I finish. I have a 69 covertible also that I plan to restore back to original once I am finished with this project. I did get my trunk floor welded in and and the plug welds ground down. Here are a few pics, I still need the tail light panel measurements when someone gets time. Thanks for all the welcomes.
Looks like alot of work! Keep going.How is your deck lid ? If you need one I have one in the top of my shop gathering dust.Very little if any rust,just surface. Good luck!

Looks like alot of work! Keep going.How is your deck lid ? If you need one I have one in the top of my shop gathering dust.Very little if any rust,just surface. Good luck!

E, since you have parts you are getting rid of I will ask you the same thing I asked Qcode the other night. Do you have an aluminum radiator laying around not being used? LOL

I am interested in seeing how this comes out. I love the idea of a T5 in a Grande. Shortly after we were married we got a 72 Grande for my wife. That was her first car. At that time we were a 2, 72 Mustang family. I cant find any pictures of it to post. It was brown with brown vinyl top and had a 351 2V engine. It was out first car with AC.

In my excitement of tearing out the rear of the beast I forgot to get a couple measurements. I need the measurement from the trunk floor to the top of the tail light panel. I probably need a middle and two near the end to be safe. .
I measured this and come up with questionable results. The right (passenger side) I came up with 12 inches exactly. The middle area and left (driver side) I came up with 1/8 shorter.

Can someone else also measure this to help him out? I don't think my measurements will weild the correct results.

In my excitement of tearing out the rear of the beast I forgot to get a couple measurements. I need the measurement from the trunk floor to the top of the tail light panel. I probably need a middle and two near the end to be safe. .
I measured this and come up with questionable results. The right (passenger side) I came up with 12 inches exactly. The middle area and left (driver side) I came up with 1/8 shorter.

Can someone else also measure this to help him out? I don't think my measurements will weild the correct results.
You may have a problem...The BOTTOM edge of the tailight panel should fit flush with the bottom edge of the rear crossmember. By welding in the floor WITHOUT making sure the frame rails are set to the correct height FIRST you may not get the fit correct. A quick check is to measure from the CENTER of the rear spring front bolt to the CENTER of the rear spring shackle top bolt It should be 51-7/8" give or take an 1/8..Check that before you go any further. Best way to get this done if your rails are set ok is to fit the rear panel on...fit the deck lid on...make sure you measure from the inside edge of each quarter panel to the center screw hole for the gas neck filler (this makes sure the panel is centered) get everything lined up gaps etc then use a few sheet metal screws to hold it together. The screws let you repeat your alignment & fit after you disasemble to prep for welding etc. Maybe you got lucky but every car i have done a trunk floor on the rails have moved after the floor was cut out...Advice to anybody doing a trunk floor MAKE SURE TO LOCK THE REAR RAILS IN PLACE before cutting out the floor (simple way is to use some steel rod tacked from the rear to the front)

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Back