Safe way of removing lead

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
Hey guys, I'm started much needed rust repair on the B pillars this weekend, when I noticed what looks like lead filler between the roof skin and quarter panel. I'm guessing this seam was probably lead filled from the factory, and I'm thinking some of you guys have ran across this too. I'm wondering how to remove it safely? I have two little rug-rats running around and I want to remove it safely without exposing them to lead. How do I do this?

Yes it's factory. The way I remove it is with a small propane torch, it does not require much heat to melt it out. Are you replacing the quarter panel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's factory. The way I remove it is with a small propane torch, it does not require much heat to melt it out. Are you replacing the quarter panel?
Not the entire quarter - Just the lower section behind the wheel. The reason I'm working on the B pillar is because someone along the line has applied about 1" worth of bondo over the lead seam. And all the metal behind this bondo has rusted out. Thankfully the rust stops about 1" above and below the panel seam, so a full quarter is not needed.

Not the entire quarter - Just the lower section behind the wheel. The reason I'm working on the B pillar is because someone along the line has applied about 1" worth of bondo over the lead seam. And all the metal behind this bondo has rusted out. Thankfully the rust stops about 1" above and below the panel seam, so a full quarter is not needed.
Heat and a wire brush is the fastest way to "get the lead out" then you can cut the rust out and make the repairs. Pics would help if you have some?

The big safety consensus is >>> DO NOT DA OR GRIND THE LEAD! Lead dust is not good at all for us - especially the little ones.

Check this post on another forum:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-77385.html

"The lead dust is easly ingested into the body via the lungs and skin. The human

body does not disapate lead, once ingested, but stores it in the liver,

kidneys and bone marrow:bad voo doo! If ya have little kids, keep 'um

outa the shop when working with lead......."

Stay safe-

Ray

The big safety consensus is >>> DO NOT DA OR GRIND THE LEAD! Lead dust is not good at all for us - especially the little ones.

"The lead dust is easly ingested into the body via the lungs and skin. The human

Stay safe-

Ray
Good advice! I look back on everything I did with lead as teenager and young adult I'm amazed I don't have medical issues. Times have really changed, check out the photo of the Fire Department letting my son cut cans in half with the jaws of life during "show and tell day" at his school. That was 16 years ago, imagine a school doing that now days? But yet we all survived.

Jim

Jaws1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stay safe-

Ray
Good advice! I look back on everything I did with lead as teenager and young adult I'm amazed I don't have medical issues. Times have really changed, check out the photo of the Fire Department letting my son cut cans in half with the jaws of life during "show and tell day". That was 16 years ago, imagine that happening now days? But yet we all survived.

Jim
Oh wow! lol! That's a great picture...Before kids I couldn't care less about safety. Man, things change with kids!

Stay safe-

Ray
Good advice! I look back on everything I did with lead as teenager and young adult I'm amazed I don't have medical issues. Times have really changed, check out the photo of the Fire Department letting my son cut cans in half with the jaws of life during "show and tell day" at his school. That was 16 years ago, imagine a school doing that now days? But yet we all survived.

Jim
+1 to that...use to ride up town on the tail gate of my dads truck kicking my feet above the road at 35 mph..lol..We made it!! And i messed with so much lead over the years..Including lead toys and figures...{knocks on wood} Surpized im still kicking it..lol

Lead toxicity is a result of either chronic low level exposure, or short term exposure to high levels. Lead is not absorbed through the skin, but may be present on the skin and then introduced into the mouth and ingested. Breathing airborne particles is possible, and can be a cause of intoxication, and grinding grinding could create airborne particles, so a good dust mask is recommended. The globs of molten lead that come from the joint should just be cleaned up. Don't use your tongue for this and you should be fine. Keep the kids out of the area while you are melting the lead out and make sure you have good ventilation - your should have no problem.

Yes, I am a medical professional, although my patients are dogs and cats. ;)

Back