Breather vs. PCV

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
The breather port on the valve cover connects to the air cleaner.

The PCV hose attaches to the carb. Does it matter what side either

is on? In a lot of pictures I see the breather on the driver's side

valve cover.

mike

I always remember breathers being located on the driver's side.

Keep in mind the oil filter and the pump are on the driver's side front and if you are pulling fumes from there as opposed to the rear of the passenger side, you might not be pulling "through" the whole motor

all theory on my part, I wouldn't make any decisions based on my statements

I always remember breathers being located on the driver's side.

Keep in mind the oil filter and the pump are on the driver's side front and if you are pulling fumes from there as opposed to the rear of the passenger side, you might not be pulling "through" the whole motor

all theory on my part, I wouldn't make any decisions based on my statements
I will go change that, mine is currently opposite.

You have more reputation points than I do so you

must know more than me :angel:

Besides, these Clevelands can be "sensitive". You just

never know :D

I remember a radio show where the host had a degree in Science.

He knows more than you do. Can't remember the name of the show.

mike

A properly functioning PCV system does the work of a breather generally just cleaner.

Every breather I have ever used spewed oil onto what ever was below it and smelled bad.

I am running PCV to the port on the back of the manifold. Brake booster to full vacuum on carb. Not factory but it keeps my engine bay and carb pretty clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pcv goes in the oil filler cap. How are you going to add oil with the cap under the export brace on the passenger side? And both sides have vac thru the carb. Not really "breathers".

Not sure what you mean when you say both sides have vacuum thru the carb. A 70's era american v-8 will draw air out of the crankcase with the PCV system- the breather is to allow fresh air into the crankcase so that you don't create negative pressure and the check valve in the PCV valve is also to prevent sucking oil. the vacuum comes from inside the intake and whether from a carb port which is usually below the throttle plates or manifold vacuum tee, it makes little difference.

Some people have run just breathers at both locations and that does make for a messy engine compartment unless set up with draft tubes (which make a messy undercarriage

You can't vacuum fumes out from one side of a sealed system, there has to be make up air

Actually negative pressure in the crankcase is a good thing. It helps rings seal. Most modern racecars use vacuum pumps to create negative pressure in the crankcase to assist with oil control.

I am looking at running a pcv in both valve covers and hoses to a tee to the port at the back of the carb.

Speaking from experience running full engine vacuum to the crankcase can shorten seal life and suck in gaskets. I ran a car that way for a couple of years 20,000 miles and yes it did run well under full engine vacuum until it started sucking air thu the seals and gaskets. It also started leaking alot of oil but only when the engine was off. Best for a street daily driver to run the proper set up. Front LH valve cover to the air breather the rear RH valve cover PVC to correct vacuum port.

A breather creates a vacuum leak and unmetered air going into the engine. Yes it was done that way in the 70's. That in itself doesn't make it proper. In those days the engine was tuned for the vacuum leak. The breather setup changed for a reason and it wasn't just for emissions.

ALL modern engines including the 302 prior to be discontinued run a PCV system with negative crank case pressure for a good reason. I don't remember any of them having issues with gaskets sucking in.

A breather creates a vacuum leak and unmetered air going into the engine. Yes it was done that way in the 70's. That in itself doesn't make it proper. In those days the engine was tuned for the vacuum leak. The breather setup changed for a reason and it wasn't just for emissions.

ALL modern engines including the 302 prior to be discontinued run a PCV system with negative crank case pressure for a good reason. I don't remember any of them having issues with gaskets sucking in.
Beg to differ.....

When the PCV valve is in the valve cover and the other cover is capped there is very little air being pulled through the PCV valve. It is pretty much a closed system.

On a "not wore out" engine even the smallest of vacuum to the valve covers will eleminate the oil smells and other slimyness under the hood.

Check out the engine of any new engine and you will see a plastic tube going from the valve cover to the intake plenum ahead of the MAF. It is a modern PVC set up.

You can and we did up the HP with a vacuum pump. I never bought the idea that it "sucked" the rings in tighter - we used gas ported pistons and you can't get a better seal than that. My theory is that taking the air out of the block means less air having to be moved around below the the pistons as they move up and down and that means less work for the engine. Having the pump fail would cost us a tenth. That is fairly sizable.

I like road tubes as they coat the underside of your car with an oil mist and keep it from rusting. Kind of like a continuous Z-barting treatment.

(not really - they are stinky)

Paul

it doesn't matter which side the pcv is on.

you can have it either on the driver's front, or the passenger rear.

The opposite side from the pcv should be a breather. it works the same if you use the original air cleaner side filter or a twist on breather cap.

basically the pcv system provides a few functions.

1) creates negative pressure which stops small oil leaks.

2) removes fuel vapor and moisture from the engine, this reduces oil varnish build up, reduces internal corrosion from water vapor.

3) increases oil life.

4) acts as a intake back fire arrestor. under certain situations the intake pressure can be higher then the crankcase the PCV valve closes to prevent reversal of the exhausted air back into the crankcase again, like sudden deceleration with engine load.

going back to setup.

ford put the breather on the rear passenger and the pcv with the oil cap on the drivers side. mostly due to the oem air cleaner design.

the hose connection on the passenger side to the air cleaner has a filter with a orange body and a clip that holds it to the cleaner. the filter is outside the normal carb air filter thus it sees normal atmospheric pressure, this makes it just like a breather, the filter prevents junk from getting sucked inside the engine when the PCV turns on when vacuum is high. the pcv turns off when vacuum drops. otherwise it would act like a vacuum leak. At idle when vacuum is over 12HG the valve is on. when you stomp the pedal and the vac drops it turns off. at cruise with steady vacuum over 15HG it stays on. you can see how a mild or wild cam in an engine could come in conflict with the PCV this is why higher Horsepower cars use 2 breathers instead of the PCV system. the PCV is a controlled vacuum leak.

so on the drivers side the pcv goes to full manifold vacuum;

Thus when the PCV is on, air pulls through the outside of the air cleaner, through the pcv filter down the passenger side, through the crankcase and up through the drivers side then directly into the intake of the engine. When the PCV shuts down during acceleration the engine sees normal atmospheric pressure, as the system stabilizes again Vacuum goes up and the PCV opens again.

the wrong PCV can also cause problems, if you have one that opens with low vacuum it will cause stalling, rough idle.

caution; most of us have aftermarket intakes and cams. it is recommended that you split the vacuum load on the intake. for example you have the brake booster usually running off the rear along with vacuum accessories, the PCV can create as much demand as a brake booster. so if you have everything off the rear of the manifold you will have a race condition where either the PCV or the brake booster will be fighting for vacuum capacity, this can cause all kinds of tuning issues and it will make the rear bank of the engine run lean because the fuel will fall out of aeration. So what you want to do is use the front intake manifold port for the pcv this way you equalize the vacuum usage in the intake manifold, and it equalizes the fuel/air mixture in the intake manifold better.

the direction of flow through the valve covers doesn't matter so long as you create the negative pressure in the crank case.

I ran with breathers only when i first got my car. let me tell you the difference of using the PCV was night and day as far as benefit to the motor i would highly recommend using the PCV system if you can.

Beg to differ.....

When the PCV valve is in the valve cover and the other cover is capped there is very little air being pulled through the PCV valve. It is pretty much a closed system.

On a "not wore out" engine even the smallest of vacuum to the valve covers will eleminate the oil smells and other slimyness under the hood.

Check out the engine of any new engine and you will see a plastic tube going from the valve cover to the intake plenum ahead of the MAF. It is a modern PVC set up.

You can and we did up the HP with a vacuum pump. I never bought the idea that it "sucked" the rings in tighter - we used gas ported pistons and you can't get a better seal than that. My theory is that taking the air out of the block means less air having to be moved around below the the pistons as they move up and down and that means less work for the engine. Having the pump fail would cost us a tenth. That is fairly sizable.

I like road tubes as they coat the underside of your car with an oil mist and keep it from rusting. Kind of like a continuous Z-barting treatment.

(not really - they are stinky)

Paul

You might want to recheck that all recent systems, that tube goes to the side after the MAF(mass air flow) sensor. Her is a pic of a modified system but still feeds into the same area of the intake tube after the MAF. MAF is bottom middle gray to middle left. Oh and I tune some modern vehicles.

IMG_8370[1].JPG

"You might want to recheck that all recent systems, that tube goes to the side after the MAF(mass air flow) sensor. Her is a pic of a modified system but still feeds into the same area of the intake tube before the MAF. MAF is bottom middle gray to middle left. Oh and I tune some modern vehicles." (Not a statement of Paul of Mo)

My mistake, I thought you (or someone) was saying that PCV valves were discontinued on modern engines.

I even wrote a snarky but very literary response stating that the hose in the picture was a PCV set up. Damn it was good and I had to delete it.

Summary:

PCV's do not cause a vacuum leak and old engines were not tuned around this massive air leak.......

Modern engines do have some sort of PCV system usually consisting of a simple valve and hose that goes from a valve cover to a low pressure area in the intake system......

I am not sure who posted what at this point........

I am proud that I reviewed my rant before I ranted and looked like an idiot.

All and all not a bad way to end the day...

Paul

Well,

I run a PCV valve on the passenger side and a breather cap from edelbrock on the driver side, is this wrong or doesn't matter?

I have under load a pretty bad oil smell under the hood and I'm curios is that the result from that breather cap.

Thanks,

Oskar

doesn't matter.

could be do you have an A/C car the fresh air intake is on the passenger side.

you could check the seal around the heaterbox firewall area, make sure it is sealing.

also that rubber hood seal that goes along the cowl if that is missing then the engine smells go right into the cabin.

Well,

I run a PCV valve on the passenger side and a breather cap from edelbrock on the driver side, is this wrong or doesn't matter?

I have under load a pretty bad oil smell under the hood and I'm curios is that the result from that breather cap.

Thanks,

Oskar
If you plumb the drivers side valve cover to the air cleaner the fumes will be pulled into the carb and burned eliminating the smell.

it doesn't matter which side the pcv is on.

you can have it either on the driver's front, or the passenger rear.

The opposite side from the pcv should be a breather. it works the same if you use the original air cleaner side filter or a twist on breather cap.

basically the pcv system provides a few functions.

1) creates negative pressure which stops small oil leaks.

2) removes fuel vapor and moisture from the engine, this reduces oil varnish build up, reduces internal corrosion from water vapor.

3) increases oil life.

4) acts as a intake back fire arrestor. under certain situations the intake pressure can be higher then the crankcase the PCV valve closes to prevent reversal of the exhausted air back into the crankcase again, like sudden deceleration with engine load.

going back to setup.

ford put the breather on the rear passenger and the pcv with the oil cap on the drivers side. mostly due to the oem air cleaner design.

the hose connection on the passenger side to the air cleaner has a filter with a orange body and a clip that holds it to the cleaner. the filter is outside the normal carb air filter thus it sees normal atmospheric pressure, this makes it just like a breather, the filter prevents junk from getting sucked inside the engine when the PCV turns on when vacuum is high. the pcv turns off when vacuum drops. otherwise it would act like a vacuum leak. At idle when vacuum is over 12HG the valve is on. when you stomp the pedal and the vac drops it turns off. at cruise with steady vacuum over 15HG it stays on. you can see how a mild or wild cam in an engine could come in conflict with the PCV this is why higher Horsepower cars use 2 breathers instead of the PCV system. the PCV is a controlled vacuum leak.

so on the drivers side the pcv goes to full manifold vacuum;

Thus when the PCV is on, air pulls through the outside of the air cleaner, through the pcv filter down the passenger side, through the crankcase and up through the drivers side then directly into the intake of the engine. When the PCV shuts down during acceleration the engine sees normal atmospheric pressure, as the system stabilizes again Vacuum goes up and the PCV opens again.

the wrong PCV can also cause problems, if you have one that opens with low vacuum it will cause stalling, rough idle.

caution; most of us have aftermarket intakes and cams. it is recommended that you split the vacuum load on the intake. for example you have the brake booster usually running off the rear along with vacuum accessories, the PCV can create as much demand as a brake booster. so if you have everything off the rear of the manifold you will have a race condition where either the PCV or the brake booster will be fighting for vacuum capacity, this can cause all kinds of tuning issues and it will make the rear bank of the engine run lean because the fuel will fall out of aeration. So what you want to do is use the front intake manifold port for the pcv this way you equalize the vacuum usage in the intake manifold, and it equalizes the fuel/air mixture in the intake manifold better.

the direction of flow through the valve covers doesn't matter so long as you create the negative pressure in the crank case.

I ran with breathers only when i first got my car. let me tell you the difference of using the PCV was night and day as far as benefit to the motor i would highly recommend using the PCV system if you can.
the passenger side hose goes to the air cleaner, when the engine is running there is a vac created inside the air cleaner housing correct? Yes, the PCV hose is connected directly to the carb base full manifold fitting. So you have vac pulling on both valve covers....less on the "breather" side with the tiny foam filter but getting vac nonetheless. and i repeat that if you put the correct pcv valve in the correct cap and tried to install on the passenger side it would be blocked by the export brace. If you tried to install in a grommet the pcv wouldnt have the small steel wool filter (that is inside the filler cap) and would be set lower in the valve cover and become gunked up much more quickly. my 302 bronco had a plain "breather cap" installed by the PO and it leaked and dripped and smelled. The factory knew what they were doing by routing the passenger hose to the air cleaner. The only smell outta my car is from the tail pipes when engine is cold.

Back