Repainting engine and engine bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
1972 Convertible. I am getting ready to repaint my 302-2V engine and the entire engine bay, radiator, hood hinges, power steering pump, charcoal canister etc, etc. I need advice on correct colors for the 1972 year, best rattle can brands to buy, best radiator paint etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
are you taking the parts out of the car to paint or keeping it all in place?

I'll run out to the shed later on and get you the list of paints I used, they were all rattle cans.

I took all of the parts out of the car except for the engine block, this picture is from Last year, I have detailed more parts this year.

20120728_144035.jpg

1972 Convertible. I am getting ready to repaint my 302-2V engine and the entire engine bay, radiator, hood hinges, power steering pump, charcoal canister etc, etc. I need advice on correct colors for the 1972 year, best rattle can brands to buy, best radiator paint etc...
Pulling engine and putting on a stand. I am replacing all the gaskets and rebuilding my 302 where necessary. Probably will pull all of the parts out to have uncluttered access to the engine bay.

Pulling engine and putting on a stand. I am replacing all the gaskets and rebuilding my 302 where necessary. Probably will pull all of the parts out to have uncluttered access to the engine bay.

Also, do you have any advice on painting the engine bay????

NPD can supply you with all the correct engine bay colors. Give them call.
Cool, have a catalog. What engine bay black color is correct????

ford corporate blue on the block, air cleaner and cannister. Seymour engine paint. Has some kinda ceramic in it. Cures harder the hotter it gets.
Thanks!

all of the paints I used were Dupli-color, and some were rustolium brand.

Dupli-color "ford corporate blue (dark)" on the Block, heads, intake, water pump, air cleaner, charcoal canister, and voltage regulator, valve covers ect....

Dupli-color "Dark gray" (engine paint) for all of the parts they were originally Phosphate coated (hood latch, hood hinges, shock mounts.

Dupli-color (I can't find the can) for all of the parts painted "Slop Gray" (hood latch mount, and shock tower braces.

rustolium Gloss Black for the engine compartment.

rustolium Matt Black for the Wiper arms. starter relay, and wiper motor (housing only)

all of the mounting bolts, were either new, or painted with the dichromate kit from Eastwood., its 3 cans of paint to make the correct shade. (its OK, not great))

I hope this helps.

all of the paints I used were Dupli-color, and some were rustolium brand.

Dupli-color "ford corporate blue (dark)" on the Block, heads, intake, water pump, air cleaner, charcoal canister, and voltage regulator, valve covers ect....

Dupli-color "Dark gray" (engine paint) for all of the parts they were originally Phosphate coated (hood latch, hood hinges, shock mounts.

Dupli-color (I can't find the can) for all of the parts painted "Slop Gray" (hood latch mount, and shock tower braces.

rustolium Gloss Black for the engine compartment.

rustolium Matt Black for the Wiper arms. starter relay, and wiper motor (housing only)

all of the mounting bolts, were either new, or painted with the dichromate kit from Eastwood., its 3 cans of paint to make the correct shade. (its OK, not great))

I hope this helps.

Big help, thank you!!! Also, do you recommend a de-greaser for the engine bay and engine?? Any strategy on painting these???

Use a degreaser on engine bay and then when done I usually hit it with brake cleaner before paint to make sure it is really clean.

The engine bay should be a satin black if you want it to look original.

Jeff

If you aren't going full resto, I like to paint the bottom of the hood white as a minimum. I'm actually painting the entire engine bay white now while my engine is pulled. Better visibility. You can label things with sharpie. My car is more track oriented though.

Jeff
I went with the Gloss Black be cause I liked the look of the Gloss vs. the Satin look, but over the years the gloss had Faded out, and looks like Satin paint now.

I did paint it 10 years ago, so I cant complain.

Stay away from the Summit chassis black. I used it in my engine compartment and it scratches very easily. Not a durable finish. Make sure as others pointed out you get the correct Ford blue. There are like three or four Ford blues out there in rattle cans.

Use a degreaser on engine bay and then when done I usually hit it with brake cleaner before paint to make sure it is really clean.

Jeff
AAfter Brake Cleaner, is it ready to paint?? No other prepping????

Jeff

First a good degreasing with a pressure washer or high pressure hose end, purple power is a great degreaser let it dry, light sand or scotch brite then some wax and grease remover before painting use lots of clean rags it only takes time the more time the better it looks paint is your choice Rust-Oleum Spray Paint works well and lasts and is a good value. Use engine paint on the hot parts and I used high heat on the exhaust after a good cleaning

005 (Mobile).JPG

006 (Mobile).JPG

008 (Mobile).JPG

009 (Mobile).JPG

010 (Mobile).JPG

Jeff

First a good degreasing with a pressure washer or high pressure hose end, purple power is a great degreaser let it dry, light sand or scotch brite then some wax and grease remover before painting use lots of clean rags it only takes time the more time the better it looks paint is your choice Rust-Oleum Spray Paint works well and lasts and is a good value. Use engine paint on the hot parts and I used high heat on the exhaust after a good cleaning
Looks great, thanks for the advice!

Back