Repainting engine and engine bay

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my short block that many have said matches the original paint pretty well:

1710661357_ShortBlock1(Small).jpg.7fda0a5a46a19162dd5e0f39719580be.jpg

Duplicolor DE 1606 Ford Dark Blue

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

If you're using Duplicolor paint, use DARK Ford blue. Ford corporate or just ford blue are too light and bright. More like smurf blue.

Yeah - and DO NOT use Duplicolor 'Old Ford Blue.' You'll never hear the end of it [being the wrong color for a 351C]. rofl

542144_433474629996794_1108156464_n.jpg

looks like the same color as my block. (too light)

Looks great, what carb and manifold do you have???

Brian Kulis

Use a degreaser on engine bay and then when done I usually hit it with brake cleaner before paint to make sure it is really clean.

The engine bay should be a satin black if you want it to look original.

Jeff

Do you use rattle cans or a spray gun and compressor? What engine bay paint would you recommend????

Brian Kulis

• 2 weeks later...

Use a degreaser on engine bay and then when done I usually hit it with brake cleaner before paint to make sure it is really clean.

Jeff

A

After Brake Cleaner, is it ready to paint?? No other prepping????

First a good degreasing with a pressure washer or high pressure hose end, purple power is a great degreaser let it dry, light sand or scotch brite then some wax and grease remover before painting use lots of clean rags it only takes time the more time the better it looks paint is your choice Rust-Oleum Spray Paint works well and lasts and is a good value. Use engine paint on the hot parts and I used high heat on the exhaust after a good cleaning

Did you do all of this with a rattle can or sprayer and compressor, look fantastic!!!!

Brian Kulis

Jeff

A

First a good degreasing with a pressure washer or high pressure hose end, purple power is a great degreaser let it dry, light sand or scotch brite then some wax and grease remover before painting use lots of clean rags it only takes time the more time the better it looks paint is your choice Rust-Oleum Spray Paint works well and lasts and is a good value. Use engine paint on the hot parts and I used high heat on the exhaust after a good cleaning

A

Did you do all of this with a rattle can or sprayer and compressor, look fantastic!!!!

What did you use on the bell housing????

Brian Kulis

Bellhousing would be some type of aluminum color. They make a spray can called aluma blast that would work.

On your question about rattle can vs spray gun...either will work but spray gun is more durable and will last longer. It is also more of a hassle so depends on what your trying to do.

Jeff

Jeff

1972 Q Code Convertible