Firearms Advice Needed!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Empty Stable Currently
Okay so pretty basic dilemma going on here, I just picked up a new bolt action Scout rifle, it's got a nice set of Iron Sights on it that'll get the job done easily to about 250 yds, but I've been wanting to get a decent set of optics for my AR and figure the Scout is a good excuse to go all out and set both guns up.

So the question, is do I go ahead and do the optics on both guns, or do I use that money instead to buy a new pistol? :D

It's the best kind of hard decision to make!

How deep are yer pockets?

That'll be a limiting factor, too. Way too many price points.

I own some cheezy (vintage) optics... and I believe the "buy once, cry once" creed for good modern glass.

Needless to say, I haven't bought any lately, but need to (as my eyes are getting, well, older).

There is value in the better stuff, if you really plan on using the gun IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
But of'course, Buy Both!!

The crazyness is beginning to fade some, and there are some reasonably priced firearms beginning to become available again.

What type of pistol & caliber are you looking for??

Scout rifle optics... The sky is the limit... Something forward mounted with a lot of eye-relief, like Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle, or something more traditional?

I'm a big fan of both Aimpoint and EOTech.

I've already got one pistol in .45 ACP but I'm looking at picking up something in 9mm that's a little easier on the pocket book to shoot. I'm at the range about twice a month so I shoot a lot. I was looking at the Springfield XDm in 9mm.

For the scout I did want to go with Jeff Coopers style of high eye relief for faster acquisition.

On the AR I've been looking at something higher powered like a 2-12x44 and mounting an offset holographic sight for closer range shots when I need it.

I've already got one pistol in .45 ACP but I'm looking at picking up something in 9mm that's a little easier on the pocket book to shoot. I'm at the range about twice a month so I shoot a lot. I was looking at the Springfield XDm in 9mm.

For the scout I did want to go with Jeff Coopers style of high eye relief for faster acquisition.

On the AR I've been looking at something higher powered like a 2-12x44 and mounting an offset holographic sight for closer range shots when I need it.
For handgun, are you interested in concealed carry, or more of home defense / range use?

If you are interested in concealed carry, I highly recommend the HK P7. It has a unique manual of arms, so it takes a little getting used to, but it is simply on eof the best handguns ever designed, IMO.

Plus, it is the gun James Bond wishes he could use. :D

18891d1266522295-any-hk-fans-10-5k-spare-hk_nickel_p7m8.jpg

Buy at least 3 more firearms-you are woefully undergunned.

At one point I owned enough 12 ga shotguns to have one at EVERY window in my house!

and I had more pistols and rifles each, than I did shotguns.

I cut down to about 8 shotguns while gathering extra cash for my engine build project.

Pistol then optics would be my COA. I have several pistols and at least one in all the major calibers. Can one ever have enough?

For 9mm there are lot's of options as you know. The XDm is nice for a striker fired pistol. If I had to only recommend one it would be an HK P30. It is hammer fired (my preference) and it will last forever. There was an endurance test that shot over 91,000 rounds through it before it showed signs of slowing down. Try that with any other pistol. I CC my P30 almost daily. It comes in 9mm or .40, mine is a .40 and is the V3 version. Is your .45 a 1911 variant? If so then the P30 will have a similar feel.

HK owners will know there is no mistake in this photo. ;)

40393364180567-vi.jpg

Plus it's upgradable.

p30.jpg

There are lots of pistols and thousands more opinions as to which is better. Whatever you decide let us know.

Haha". The infamous HK bullets in backward photo. I'm a big HK fan and have been a moderator on both HKPRO and ParkCitiesTactical for a long time. Although I am not very active on either site lately.

Giving advice to a person on guns is like giving advice on what vehicle is best, it's an individual preference. Personally for pistols I like a 9mm and would avoid any off or cheap brands, especially if you're going to carry for personal protection.

Pistol over scope for me too. Then I'd go shoot a few different ones and see what fits your hand. I ended up with a ruger p89dc which is the biggest ugliest pistol ever manufactured, but it will shoot anything and fit my hand. Not a cc gun though.

Burris scope scout is a good buy for the scout rifle, made in USA, Greely Colo. even if Colo. is being an A** to Gun owners. Picked up Remington R1 .45 acp in duo-tone couple months ago. Shoots great, but as Jim said Firearms are personal. Everyone has an opinion.

Ok I'll bite just for the fact I picked up my latest pistol. Model 28 s&w 357 mag N frame. It's used of course but still in a holster most of its life I couldn't pass it up at $400.

Firearms you just have to try them out, there is no perfect gun for everyone. The basics for me is to have a shotty, a rifle and 1 semi auto pistol and 1 revolver. Once you got that then build the goodies up. Just my .02.

image.jpg

Back