how to bend fender extention?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I had to replace one of my front fender extension and it doesn't seen to line up. I think if I could heat it up and try to bend it out slightly I could get it to work. I think it's somewhat brittal so I'm worried that it I try to bend it cold it will break. Anyone every have to monkey with these things to get them to fit? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

I've tweaked mine before when replacments were not lining up. Just be careful and do a little at a time, should be fine. The extensions are pot metal if I remember right, not too sure how heat would cause them to react.

I guess the question I should have asked first is, just how far out of alignment with the fender is it?

If t is too much, might be better finding another end piece.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too sure you want to try and heat or bend them period. They are some sort of pot metal and will break/crack if they are stressed too much. I used the chrome repros on my car and had to massage the fender to fit the extensions. They still aren't perfect, but unless you get down and really look you'll never notice. The only problem I had was I believe the drivers side was made shorter than the passenger side. Yeah now that looks kinda dumb, but oh well lol.

I've tweaked mine before when replacments were not lining up. Just be careful and do a little at a time, should be fine. The extensions are pot metal if I remember right, not too sure how heat would cause them to react.

I guess the question I should have asked first is, just how far out of alignment with the fender is it?

If t is too much, might be better finding another end piece.

Michael
If I line up the top the sides need to come out maybe a 3/16"

If you bend it without heating it will crack..You can heat it BEFORE you bend it..I've tweaked plenty of cast parts using heat..On that particular part the best technique would be to pre heat in an oven or toaster oven..Obviously wear a pair of heavy gloves..I use welding gloves.

Thanks for the advice guys!

How hot do I need to get then, like broil? Can I make then to hot and mess them up.

How would you suggest I bend them. Will the be flexible enough to do by hand or should I create some kind of jig?

Thanks Jim

Back