Headers to upgrade 73-302 with T5

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarturin

Reaction score
My Car
73 302 coupe
68 289 coupe for sale
Hi

I am waiting to install new Performer RPM heads, with top end pack from Edl.

Anybody there can recommend modern headers that can fit a stock coupe having big T5 bell (converted from AT).

If no recommendatios, and as today has a combination of D3DE-9430-BC type at passenger side (horizontal short discharge) and a D3OE-9431-EA type at driver side (kind of 45º short discharge), going one by the top and the other by bottom on 2.5" pipes to X connection, would be a good idea to start with shorty headers and then reconnect in a balanced manner to X?

Thanks

Maybe shorty headers from a Fox chassis Mustang would work?

I am not sure on the shock tower clearance though. Unequal length may be the best bet. The equal length tubes get kind of busy...

shorty headers from a fox mustang will not work believe me I tried it when I tried to get latemodel GT40P heads to work in my car with a 5.0 and t-5. the shortys have bad interference with the steering box.

uhg, i stil have the Z-bar to worry about with headers. I'm thinking of just picking up a factory 5.0 headers from a fox body to at least replace the even more restrictive manifolds. for $25 a set i can't get but so mad if they wont work.

I just put Tri-Y's on my 302 and I had no issues clearing the Z Bar or the Power Steering. Very tight to the bellhousing though and I had to clearance the Bellhousing some on both sides. But I also have a 4-Speed, not sure how it might work though on the Bellhousing for a T5.

I posted pics in my header thread.

I just put Tri-Y's on my 302 and I had no issues clearing the Z Bar or the Power Steering. Very tight to the bellhousing though and I had to clearance the Bellhousing some on both sides. But I also have a 4-Speed, not sure how it might work though on the Bellhousing for a T5.

I posted pics in my header thread.
yes please do! I have a 3spd though so it may be smaller still. what tri-Y's do you have there are plenty variants out there.

i also have tri-y headers on my car and i think scott drake sell them and they fit good

T5 huh? are you running OEM z-bar stuff or a aftermarket cable?

i run the aftermarket cable stuff and there is nothing in the way anywhere that will interfere with headers. i am running a 521 with a tko600 trans and long tube 2 inch headers and have absolutely no problem.

if you run www.moderndriveline.com cable, then PM me cuz i've gone thru ALOT with them and 3 clutches to get it perfectly right.

Z bar.

Now need to know if T5 big bellhousing is bigger and how much compared to a 4-speed. Any how seems I will try tri-y, thanks folks!!

If we do not try we have no chances to learn.

Z bar.

Now need to know if T5 big bellhousing is bigger and how much compared to a 4-speed. Any how seems I will try tri-y, thanks folks!!

Why the T-5 Bell.....the T-5 will bolt up to the old manual bell with the adapter.

Or so I'm told!

Z bar.

Why the T-5 Bell.....the T-5 will bolt up to the old manual bell with the adapter.

Or so I'm told!
You were told right!, but this car came to me with a new T5 bellhousing, and a T5 Borg Warner world class gearbox

which I hope will resist the new torque of my Project, around 330 fp.

Back