I've created a monster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenGold73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Bright Green Gold Met Coupe
Was at home over the weekend and got the cover off of Harvey. He's not a happy camper. He's been sitting for about 16 years, outside but covered. As soon as I took the cover off I was about in tears as the paint on the roof, hood and trunk were totally blackish and I thought it was all surface rust. To my happy surprise it was "just" caked on dirt etc and I was able to wipe some off with a wet finger. Started looking at the rust and I knew it was there and it was not all that much worse than I remember from the last peek. Under the hood was another mess, full of cobwebs and "cotton" from the cottonwood trees in the neighborhood. The interior was a surprise to as I had forgotten that my grandpa had put the orig steering wheel back on as he hated the little tiny early 80's wheel I had on there. I was concerned that I was not going to be able to find the orig and there it was! The front seats are trashed and covered in lovely multi-colored stretchy covers *barf* and the carpet is trashed esp on the drives side. I guess on the bright side the bottom of the truck does not look that bad and I did not see any huge areas of rust but lots of small ones. Then there is the shitty body work on the passanger side back quarter panel. My guess is that will have to be replaced, I don't think there's much hope for it. Now just have to get back and have someone help me get the engine started. I'm NOT a mechanic but I think I'm gonna do some learnin this time round!

Link to pics

You got some work ahead of you but it doesn't really look that bad! Did you see the fender rails and aprons on my coupe project? I have to start from scratch! LOL!

Just work it in small steps and you will be fine. Try not to look at the big picture.

Looks to me like "Harvey" is going to get some much-needed attention and like others have said, "he" really is not so bad. A lot of it appear to be surface rust and most of the "bad" parts are readily available from the "parts" houses.

If I were you, I would try to develop a relationship with a good body shop, preferably one that is familiar with mustangs. Once "finished" (they never get finished), you will be exceedingly happy, especially when you look at the "before" pictures.

BT

Back