Shop Talk

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
OK fellas, a question about shop air. I'm currently using a small portable compressor (220V) for my air needs. I know it's not going to cut it when i get serious. So, I'm planning to get one of the upright units, maybe Ingersol Rand or similar brand at Tractor Supply.

The price range seems to be roughly $500 to $1000, depending on cfm and brand name of course. Also, what is the best way to plumb in some drops along the wall? I was thinking of going with PVC?

Any recommendations, expectations yall can share would be appreciated.

OK fellas, a question about shop air. I'm currently using a small portable compressor (220V) for my air needs. I know it's not going to cut it when i get serious. So, I'm planning to get one of the upright units, maybe Ingersol Rand or similar brand at Tractor Supply.

The price range seems to be roughly $500 to $1000, depending on cfm and brand name of course. Also, what is the best way to plumb in some drops along the wall? I was thinking of going with PVC?

Any recommendations, expectations yall can share would be appreciated.
PVC will work fine just remember when you make your drops for your lines to come off the top of the header not the bottom. If you come off the bottom of it it will make a natural drip leg right to your tools. Also an automatic drain on the tank is not a bad ideal.

You might want to look into eastwwods system It is a pvc system, 100'

garage air line kit w/12 wall mount clamps. Part #51537. If I am not mistaken they also have a whole system with all the fittings and driers. Can't find my catalog in this mess I call a shop.

Jim

This is something I need to talk Dad into! We just run a long hose from the big compressor to the shop addition where the Mustangs are. Works but not very neat!

I plumbed it all in with black steel pipe. I don't trust PVC. My fear is that it will get brittle and break as it ages. The steel pipe is durable and easy to install...although more expensive than PVC. Worth the cost to me.

Thanks for the inputs! I considered the quick connect systems on the link you provided TN, I think the Saturday morning shows advertise it under a different name now, but you are right, kinda pricey. For the price of PVC, I figure you can't beat it. And, I'll try and remember coming off the top of the manifold!

For compressor size, running cutoff, sanders, and the like, is 10cfm enough for a good sized compressor?

I plumbed it all in with black steel pipe. I don't trust PVC. My fear is that it will get brittle and break as it ages. The steel pipe is durable and easy to install...although more expensive than PVC. Worth the cost to me.
I had mine plummed in PVC.I had no issues for about four years.Then I started breaking at my connections,and one day I actually had a pipe break.

I took it all out and ran black iron pipe.I also had a stand alone Campbel Housfeld compressor,about 5 years old,and the tank split at the welds where the compresor mounted to the tank.Had to get rid of it.I went to home Depot and bought the same size Husky.I am not real happy with the time it takes to recover,etc.... just my .02.

PC250007.JPG

EVERY STORE ADVERTISES TANK SIZE AND HORSEPOWER OF THE MOTOR, BUT THE TRUE IDENTIFYING NUMBER IS THE CFM. AND NO 10 CFM ISN'T ENOUGH IF YOUR GOING TO RUN AIR TOOLS. AND IF YOU WANT TO PAINT YOU'D BE UPSET WHEN YOUR LOW ON AIR IN THE MIDDLE OF A COAT OF PAINT. I RUN A 22.5 CFM BUT I BOUGHT IT FOR A COMMERCIAL SHOP, BUT IF CAN GET UP AROUND 15 OR BETTER I DONT THINK YOU WILL EVER BE MAD. I RAN A 12 CFM FOR AWHILE AND IT WORKED OK BUT SOMETIMES I HAD TO WAIT FOR BIG TOOLS.

EVERY STORE ADVERTISES TANK SIZE AND HORSEPOWER OF THE MOTOR, BUT THE TRUE IDENTIFYING NUMBER IS THE CFM. AND NO 10 CFM ISN'T ENOUGH IF YOUR GOING TO RUN AIR TOOLS. AND IF YOU WANT TO PAINT YOU'D BE UPSET WHEN YOUR LOW ON AIR IN THE MIDDLE OF A COAT OF PAINT. I RUN A 22.5 CFM BUT I BOUGHT IT FOR A COMMERCIAL SHOP, BUT IF CAN GET UP AROUND 15 OR BETTER I DONT THINK YOU WILL EVER BE MAD. I RAN A 12 CFM FOR AWHILE AND IT WORKED OK BUT SOMETIMES I HAD TO WAIT FOR BIG TOOLS.
Wow, 22cfm is a HOSS! This is strictly a hobby for me, but thanks for the advice. I would like to get the upright unit and have a spot outside the shop wall, under a deck on the house. I plan to run a few drops inside. Will probably go with an Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply, but the Harbor Freight units are tempting for a little less money and advertised higher cfm...

Also, wanted to express my appreciation for guys like yourself and Qcode taking the time to pass on help and experience (I've been keeping up with the Uruguay post!) That's what makes this hobby rewarding for me!

Wow, 22cfm is a HOSS! This is strictly a hobby for me, but thanks for the advice. I would like to get the upright unit and have a spot outside the shop wall, under a deck on the house. I plan to run a few drops inside. Will probably go with an Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply, but the Harbor Freight units are tempting for a little less money and advertised higher cfm...

Also, wanted to express my appreciation for guys like yourself and Qcode taking the time to pass on help and experience (I've been keeping up with the Uruguay post!) That's what makes this hobby rewarding for me!
just remember you will spend more if you have to replace it. Personally I would go with the IR

i have a 15cfm and its still not enough, with a 80 gallon tank. you seriously always need more.

problem is i didn't want to spend over 5000$ for a home compressor and so i had to make due with what i had, i went through 3 different compressors before the latest which is a 220v 15-20cfm but it feels more like a 10cfm. i wish i had 100% duty cycle unit as well.

:(

i never got around to running pipes around the garage because i wanted to finish the walls first.

course now i need a new roof on my house so i guess it waits another 5 years.

I would go with the IR! the highest CFM you can afford. I have a 19.5 Campbell hausfeld and it has been ok, had to replace the motor and valves after 6 years now after 4 years it sounds loud again. I will replace it with the IR 28 CFM. I have mine set up from comp to a drier to a 100 gal dry tank then PVC pipe all over the shop. I am ok with the PVC just had 1 problem so far after 4 years now, a connection separated on me. Thank god I was up here when the line blew. found out the pipe did not break looks like the glue gave out. make sure you glue the very good!!

Back