Austin Vert's New Wheels.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to All,

Just wanted to give a head's up and show off my new Magnum 500 rear wheels i recently bought.

Basically, i was running 8x15 Magnums all round, but wanted to upgrade to 10x15's on the rear. My tires stay the same for now, being Mastercraft Avenger G/T's. - 295/50 rear and 245/60 front. ( these are a very very good tire in my opinion, and i love the way they handle and ride as well)

Getting back to the rear wheels,these 10x15's have a 5 inch backset, which gives you around 6 inches of front dish for a good wide look.The previous 8x15's had a four and a half inch basckset. The rims are from Speciality Wheels America.The head's up would be to say that if you plan on doing what i've done in the future, you will definately need to install five leaf springs as i've done. If you don't. you 'WILL' get rub issues on the outer fender lips. (wheel arch or wheel arch moulds) The five leaf springs eliminate this problem.They effectively eliminate the body giving excessive drop and roll which would cause this rubbing issue. Expect a stiffer ride, but it wont be over the top and be too hard. I'm also running standard eye shakles with rubber bushes.No sway bar installed as well.The inside tubs did not present any rub problems at all and inside leaf spring and brake line clearence is good too. I'm running a standard '73 factory axle with no mods, and standard Pedder's brand gas shocks as well. The car feels good on the road and handles well, but you can feel the wide rubber on the road for sure.

End result is i'm very happy with the upgrade.

See my pics.

Greg:)

IMG_7550.JPGIMG_7556.JPGIMG_7574.JPGIMG_7581.JPGIMG_7600.JPGIMG_7601.JPGIMG_7604.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks full of muscle! Your paint color and stripes really set your car off too. Nice! I don't care much for the stiffer ride and if I were to have done that I probably would have gone the route of a 1" lift in the 4 leaf springs for clearance issues but then you would lose that nice level look which I really wanted on mine. I'm not much of a fan of the front end being higher than the rear which mine used to be. Nice pics too.

Greg,

They look great! How do you like the quality of the rims?

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks heaps for your thumbs up.

To answer your question, i honestly was disappointed with the overall finiish and quality of the chrome on the back rims.I had to return a set because the chrome was not up to standard, and my original 8x15's started to surface rust only after a year and a half. I believe the company deals on good quality products, but how these got through final inspection is beyond me.

It dosen't sit well for how the chrome will last into the future.It's hard to get top quality chrome these days i guess.

That looks full of muscle! Your paint color and stripes really set your car off too. Nice! I don't care much for the stiffer ride and if I were to have done that I probably would have gone the route of a 1" lift in the 4 leaf springs for clearance issues but then you would lose that nice level look which I really wanted on mine. I'm not much of a fan of the front end being higher than the rear which mine used to be. Nice pics too.
Thanks Mity. I myself prefer and like a slightly 'Raked' look with the arse end jacked little bit higher than the front. If you look closely, mine just falls into that catagory. My 5 leaf springs give me that raised look naturally without any further mods coming into play, and eliminate any rub probs.

Watch out for the 4 leaf setup as you still could get excessive body movement and couse rubbing probs.

That is one good lookin' Mustang! Great job!!!

lookin mega aggressive. reminds of back when I had 15x10 daisy mags on the back of my 72 coupe I thought I looked bad ass at the time.

I was wondering what 10's would look like...thanks for posting
Hi Cas,

Pleasure! You like? While i've got you, could you reccomend a very good top quality brand of sipping whiskey (bourbon) for me. I am chasing one that's full of rich flavour, mellow, aged, and can be sipped on it's own or just with ice.Price is no problem as such.

BTW, congrats on making Forum Mod man as well.

lookin mega aggressive. reminds of back when I had 15x10 daisy mags on the back of my 72 coupe I thought I looked bad ass at the time.
Hi Stang,

Thanks heaps for the thumb's up. I also love the look of the daisy mags myself, and was toying with the idea some day of grabbing a set. (8x15 front and 10x15 rear)

A little bit like the Starsky & Hutch Torino, and the Aloha Bobby & Rose Camaro methinks!

Gregg, peoples taste in drinks vary like their DNA pattern. I gave up the stumbling life some years back but, if money is no problem you might try Parker's Heritage 27 year old small batch if you can find it. I liked Wild Turkey, and old #7 but I was on more of a budget in my younger days.

SWEET!! Thanks for dishing all the info about the backspacing, fit, and whatnot. I went for the 5-spring packs myself, and have been toying with the idea of 15x10s & 295/50-R15s myself (good to know where the backspacing works into play. This seals the deal - I love the look! Thanks for sharing!!

::thumb::

Do you have a shot of the inner wheelhouse clearance, by any chance? I mounted a Holley electric fuel pump in the space between the inner wheel house and rear frame rail extension, forward toward the driver-side torque box. I'm also in the process of fabricating a rock-shield for the pump - pretty much just an extension of the inner wheel house to cover the pump (this is an old picture - I have since re-routed the fuel line with a 90-degree elbow and up-over the bump-stop).

317777_2478999791692_921534186_n.jpg

Gregg, peoples taste in drinks vary like their DNA pattern. I gave up the stumbling life some years back but, if money is no problem you might try Parker's Heritage 27 year old small batch if you can find it. I liked Wild Turkey, and old #7 but I was on more of a budget in my younger days.

Thanks very much for passing on those Bourbons Sir.

I will see what i can get here in Australia in regards your suggestions, and take it from there.

All the best,

SWEET!! Thanks for dishing all the info about the backspacing, fit, and whatnot. I went for the 5-spring packs myself, and have been toying with the idea of 15x10s & 295/50-R15s myself (good to know where the backspacing works into play. This seals the deal - I love the look! Thanks for sharing!!

::thumb::

Do you have a shot of the inner wheelhouse clearance, by any chance? I mounted a Holley electric fuel pump in the space between the inner wheel house and rear frame rail extension, forward toward the driver-side torque box. I'm also in the process of fabricating a rock-shield for the pump - pretty much just an extension of the inner wheel house to cover the pump (this is an old picture - I have since re-routed the fuel line with a 90-degree elbow and up-over the bump-stop).

317777_2478999791692_921534186_n.jpg
Hello Eric,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like the finished look. I must confess that there was a certain element of risk as to how these rims were going to fit for me. As you may know, once a rim is fitted to your car, the wheel company says that you have defaced the product and on that basis, you own that product. Therefore, you can't afford to make mistakes with size and fitting.There is little to no margin for error on that basis. So glad i could be of help to you on this one.

I am posting a new thread for you with pics of the underbody and wheel housing. Hope they help you as well.

Knob Creek is one of my favorite whiskey's. Good flavor without much of a bite, and fairly light on the wallet.
Hi CZ,

Thanks for your advice on the bourbons. I'll see if i can get hold of that brand, and give it a try.

All the best,

Wow!!! Looks great from the rear.
Thankyou Sir,

Your right, the rear end view looks very beefy indeed. I lile that.

The wheels look great on a great looking convertible. I like the lake and park in the background.
Hi Mike,

Hope you're keeping well. Thanks very much for your kind words, and i'm glad you like the finished look. The lake you mention is located about 20miles north from our city centre called North Pine Dam. It's a man made lake and provides a percentage of my city of Brisbane's town water needs.It's a beautifull spot to be and relax in.

Hope your mustang is running well and you're still enjoying her very much.

The car looks great with the new wheels!

For regular consumption I like Maker's Mark, for very special sippin try Pappy VanWinkle. :D
Hi Jeff,

Glad you like the look of the new wheels. Thankyou Sir, and thanyou for your Bourbon advice. I will try to locate those brands here in Australia and give them a try. All the best,

I like you're car even more now , Greg . :cool:
Thanks Kermit and Matrixx,

Glad you both like the way the new wheels look and shows off the Mustang.

I agree, and think these wheels give the car a real tough sexy look.

So the feedback is great, and it seems it's thumbs up all round for Austin on this one!!! Thanks Guys,

Back