Pulling 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
Getting ready to pull the ole 302. I have a nice engine crane and engine stand and will buy a load levelor Tuesday. How do I run chains to the engine and where do I attach. Sorry if this question seems elementary!

Thank you!

You can get an engine pull plate that bolts where the carb goes or you can bolt it to the block in the front and rear diagonally.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to use the leveler the exhaust manifold bolts will be best, attached at all four corners. If you will be working by yourself that would be the best way to go. The carb plates work well, but hard to jack and control the engine at the same time.

If you're going to use the leveler the exhaust manifold bolts will be best, attached at all four corners. If you will be working by yourself that would be the best way to go. The carb plates work well, but hard to jack and control the engine at the same time.
+1 just make sure you catch all the thread you can...don't want to strip a hole

pretty much any way everyone has mentioned will work fine. the more threads and longer the bolts work best.

then its not the matter of securing the engine as it is to tear up your rad support.

I was never a fan of pulling the engine by the Carb Plate. Always worried that I would tear up the intake, especially aluminum intake. Pretty much always stuck to the intake bolts or the exhaust bolts.

Always pull the radiator these days though. One bad experience is all it took me.

All my projects 1408.jpgOr you should have an empty bolt on the front and rear of both heads..My input is to use a good, new grade 8 bolt. When I pulled the 289 out of my 67 Cougar, the old bolts that had been in the engine failed, and I dropped the engine sideways in the engine bay. PITA!!

On a 351C, there are hooks which are mounted to exhaust manifold studs.

As a result, that is what I would use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-1972-1973-Mustang-351C-Engine-Lift-Hooks-nice-set-/200951416889?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec9a34839&vxp=mtr

As a matter of fact, I believe the 351C hooks will fit a 351W. Not sure about a 302.
Any time I tried to use the factory hooks I ended up cracking the exhaust manifolds. My thoughts are that after years of many, many heating and cooling cycles, the cast iron gets brittle and can't handle the stress.

Or you should have an empty bolt on the front and rear of both heads..My input is to use a good, new grade 8 bolt. When I pulled the 289 out of my 67 Cougar, the old bolts that had been in the engine failed, and I dropped the engine sideways in the engine bay. PITA!!
Thank you!

Back