Rear Wheel Tub idea...Need opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
I've been back and forth on ideas to create more room for bigger tires on my 71 coupe. I've thought about fabing up some mini-tubs but I don't want to lose my rear seat if possible. So my latest idea is to cut out the section of the factory wheel tub that archs down and is spot welded to the quarter panel. Then I could get flat sheet metal and extend the top of the wheel tub out and connect it directly to the quarter. Lastly, I could cut out the lip in the inner wheel well and reinforce the quarter panel with 1/4" rod.

I created this picture in Paint so you'd have an idea what I'm talking about - Thankfully my fab skills are better than my drawing skills! :s

2cwtyjn.png

It's a lot of fab work for minimum gains in wheel clearance, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. What do you think?

Besides wheel clearance, this would also get rid of this gap between the tub and quarter that is prone to rusting out.

Its not a bad idea you at least are heading in the right direction, i think a lot depends on your rear wheel backspacing and the tire width and height your trying to fit in there. I think the only issue is the clearence and the work you come up with on the outer wheel house will be unused with the inner curve of the inner wheelhouse. To maximize your tub you think you could modify the inner wheelhouse to curve more like the drawing i attached, the seat should still fit, not sure about your trim pieces.

untitled.png

Just curious why you feel the need to tub the rears simce our cars take fairly wide rubber at the rear? If its just a question of how big and you like the look then thats cool. But im wondering about the balance of a street car; because my experience has been that our cars in stock trim tended to push until the tires broke and then would get tail happy with a LSD. So i chose to lighten my front end and balance traction at 4 corners with 225's. Now that i have seen members success with sizes up to 245 in the front im looking at bigger tires. But still thinking that adding more grip at the front and reducing the push should give me better balance at higher speed. I have always figured that more grip at the rear would give much more push at the front unless more weight was relocated to the back? Mayby im jacking this thread and i should post question elswhere. Sorry man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi 71 Stang,

Happy to give you my opinion, but would need to know first what size tires and rims you intend to put on your car, and what stance you want to end up having. (high,mid, low?)

Photos would be a great help of you have any.

Greg:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 295's on the rear of my 73 with minimal hammering. Unless you are going to seriously lower the car, you can easily stuff a pretty good sized tire under there.

i think with the right size wheel and offset you can get a 315 under there,.its gonna be tight and definantly will rub!!. any bigger and you will have to reposition the leafsprings as well.

your idea isn't bad, but i think its a huge amount of work to get it nice again under there for so little to be gained,.. unless your want to car to be low,. very low that is..

i think with the right size wheel and offset you can get a 315 under there,.its gonna be tight and definantly will rub!!. any bigger and you will have to reposition the leafsprings as well.

your idea isn't bad, but i think its a huge amount of work to get it nice again under there for so little to be gained,.. unless your want to car to be low,. very low that is..
That's the plan!! I took some mock-up pictures of the stance i'm after (don't laugh! i work with what i have!). The 'custom wheel' is 28" wide which should equal a 20" with 315s (30 or 40 sidewalls - i can't remember now). Actually since this picture I've raised the car another inch or two - Just enough to tuck a little tire in the wheel well but not enough to cause massive fab work. I'm planning on running a 4-link with coilovers so will be losing the leafs.

2hzmkja.jpg

i'm not laughing, very smart to do your homework, looks like your doing it!, if your wanting to get it very low, and put on 315's, then yes, i would say go with your idea, your gonna need every bit of space available. and going with a 4-link is a very good idea..

if you are going to use the lower leaf mounts for the lower links, then you wont get much room, because the link is in the same spot as the leafspring. but the car will drive so much better with a 4-link.. i have a 4-link for a few years now, trust me, your are going to like it..

Back