Voltmeter does not work...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forspeed

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach1 Qcode fourspeed
71 convertible Mcode T5 exp.
Hi everybody,

the voltmeter (tiple gauges-middle console) in both of my 'stangs do not work ,never did. A friend of mine,owning a 73 Mach1 has the same problem.

What 's the problem ?

Any suggestions ?

Hello,

thanx for that really interesting site (rte), so i have to do some homework...

but i need to know ,if this gauge really works in anybody's car since i didn't found one yet that shows some movement or detects an broken alternator.It didn't work on any of my Mustangs nor does it on my buddies.My friend thinks there is a problem with the wiring,but it is all original in my cars and every cable at it's place.The pointer always stays in middle of the instrument.doesn't move when i start the car or showed something when my alternator did not charge.

No big deal so, does it work on your car ???

uv

Hello,

thanx for that really interesting site (rte), so i have to do some homework...

but i need to know ,if this gauge really works in anybody's car since i didn't found one yet that shows some movement or detects an broken alternator.It didn't work on any of my Mustangs nor does it on my buddies.My friend thinks there is a problem with the wiring,but it is all original in my cars and every cable at it's place.The pointer always stays in middle of the instrument.doesn't move when i start the car or showed something when my alternator did not charge.

No big deal so, does it work on your car ???

It should move just a little when your car is running,Mine always moved just to the right a small amount.Mine has stopped working also.I need to start digging to find the problem.I suspect it is a burnt/bad fuseable link.Just haven't wanted to dig into my harness. They do / should read when your car is running.

uv

Hi,

yes ,all other gauges work well.

But,when i switch the headlights "on", the water and the tankpointer are moving up little bit.Headlights "off" and they move back, the ampmeter do not react at all.Curios,the same happens with a friends 73mach1.

uv

I was originally thinking it might be the dash panel voltage regulator....but if everything else works.
All of my guages read well,just the volt/ amp not reading.I have changed my gauge /dash regulator and no change.I still feel it is in the wiring harness near where your solinoid / voltage regulator connects.I remember several years ago digging into the harness at that location and found a melted fuseable link.I think I by passed the link and my gauge started reading again.It stopped about a year later.I just haven't taken the time to go back in and repair.

PC250018.JPG

Hi,

looks ,as i thought, that this gauge is a problem with a lot of Mustangs so,no big problem it would be cool to get it working again.

FastE can you tell where that link sits you passed ? Can't wait to try that,but the outside temp have to raise a little bit, my garage is not heated... Your garage looks awesome,FastE, as does your engine bay pic....respect :)

thanx so far,

bye

uv

The tachs for our cars are problem children....I've been looking to see who fixes them but because of the way they were wired from the factory there is either no parts or no one who wants to touch them. I found a guy in Virginia that will rewire it and calibrate it so it works like a normal tach. The problem with that is you need to complete the circuit otherwise you won't be able to start the car.

Ken

Hi,

looks ,as i thought, that this gauge is a problem with a lot of Mustangs so,no big problem it would be cool to get it working again.

FastE can you tell where that link sits you passed ? Can't wait to try that,but the outside temp have to raise a little bit, my garage is not heated... Your garage looks awesome,FastE, as does your engine bay pic....respect :)

thanx so far,

bye

uv
Thanks for the compliment! The link is right in the harness next to the battary.It is right in the junction where the wires split,one set going to the solenoid and the other runs to the voltage regulator.

When my gauge worked,it would just barely move to the right when you first started the engine and then drop back to just off of center.If you have any movement the gauge is getting a connection and is working.I do recall my altenator going bad and it showed a discharge. Hope that helps!

1973.jpg

all 71-73 that i have seen have the same issue.

my gauge works in that when the car is off the needle is centered, when i turn the lights on the needle very slightly defects to the left (-) and when the car is running the needle goes very slightly to the right (+)

and if the car is running and i turn the lights on the needle wiggles very slightly and stays just to the right of center.

So, now i get the picture i think...

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it, this forum is great...

I learned the hard way that the car doesn't run without the tach connected, but it makes a good antitheft protection installing a hidden switch to the wire.

Never had a bad tach so far & i hope it stays this way...

Back