Yeah, I sorta went nuts...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'72 Fastback (Mach Badging)
'06 Coupe (Mach Tribute)
I just purchased some closeout gear from Crutchfield. Full JVC system with JVC KDA-815 Arsenal CD Receiver with dual USB ports (front and back) and the coolest multicolor display I have ever seen, JVC Arsenal KSAR7004 100W x 4 RMS, two sets of JVC Arsenal CSAR680 5 x 7"/6 x 8" 2-way Coax speakers, and to give this thing some low end, a Sound Ordnance B-12 Single 12" Subwoofer in Vented (ported) box. Oh, and all this for just over $400 NIB from Crutchfield...::thumb::

I will be running one side of the amp bridged for the sub and the other side will have the speakers running in parallel (dropping load to 2 ohms) and this will give me 140W (70 RMS per side). I know this will keep me from controlling fader but will still have right and left with big power. Future will likely bring money to add a true Subwoofer amp, but the $$$ need to go to other parts for now...

Now the first issue...the Sub enclosure is 15" high. Trunk opening on a Fastback is only 14"...whoops! :whistling:

It would appear that I will need to "trim" down the vented side to fit it in. Should just fit and hopefully will not be that much of an issue once inside.

Put the system on the bench to test wire and found amp had one right channel on both sides of the amp was jacked. One quck call to Tech Support and it was determined that it had issues. Gotta give props to Crutchfield as they sent one out the same day I called and now the new one works fine.

Now, my thread is open to where I would be best suited for speaker mounting. These things are 5x7 and have no grills (I am searching for some on Ebay and such) but my thought it put two in package tray pointing up, and two in either doors traditional speaker location, or in kick panel on either side. They are not too deep (approx. 3 inches) and would appreciate anybodys input as to where they found as the best locations.

My pony has never had a speaker installed. One would assume that there was an underdash speaker once but it is long gone and there are no other holes for speakers in kicks, doors or rear deck. I have a drill and saw thou... :D

Any suggestions? Pics would also be great as well!

Thanks,

John

IMG00901-20110205-0942.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like lots of fun! Mine has speakers in the fron kick plates and on the rear deck...I'll have to get some pics when it warms up!

(I'm going to move this thread to the Electronics forum for future searching...)

Mine had some 5 1/4s in the doors right below the window cranks, and some more 5 1/4"s in the plastic right under the quarter windows.

There are places in the rear deck for some 5x7 speakers. I'd crawl into the trunk (good luck) and take a Sharpie with you. Trace the outline of the speaker openings onto the underside of your package tray, then remove it for making the holes (if you go with the rear deck, that is).

As for the doors or kick panels - tough call. I know there are also some places in the doors (pretty much under the window cranks) for some speakers, but I don't know if what you have will fit or not - the holes in mine were mangled a bit to make them larger.

Good luck with it and post results - I know I'll be going a similar route with my stereo system once my junk is finally running.

Sorry I can't help you with the speaker questions, John, but I wanted to share my 2 cents about dropping your bridged amp to 2 ohms. Make sure the amp is well-ventilated, because it will produce quite a bit more heat with the difference in resistance - you may even think about an external fan to keep things cool. Don't want to fry the amp with all those goodies you've got. :)

Just my thoughts,

Doc

Rocketfoot

You said you have speakers in the kicks......did you buy those ones that they are producing for the 71-3 and if so was it tight by the parking brake?

I've been thinking of those for a while but just wondered what the clearence would be .

Ken

Hey thanks Doc. Yeah, I know heat can be a killer but the bridged side will still be running @ 4 ohms for the sub so it will be only push about 200 watts. It is the front 4 speakers I am going to run at 2 ohms and amp will likely install in trunk area with the sub once I get it all done. Extra ventilation, such as a fan, is a good idea. Sure no issue with heat in my cold garage right now... LOL.

I was a bit premature to get a sound system as there are a number of other things I really need sooner (like the soundproofing material for trunk and cabin) but could not pass up a $600 discount on the gear. Like many of us, I are born and raised during the time of long hair and loud music. While I like listening to my motor run, having good tunes is just as critical.

Now if I can just figure out how to get my hair back... rofl

There are places in the rear deck for some 5x7 speakers. I'd crawl into the trunk (good luck) and take a Sharpie with you...
Crawl into the trunk...LOL...I'm 6'3" and weigh about 300 lbs...

that is just not gonna happen... rofl

Last edited by a moderator:
Crawl into the trunk...LOL...I'm 6'3" and weigh about 300 lbs...

that is just not gonna happen... rofl
Right there with ya, Brother! (Except that I'm 6'5") :D

Looks like lots of fun! Mine has speakers in the fron kick plates and on the rear deck...I'll have to get some pics when it warms up!

(I'm going to move this thread to the Electronics forum for future searching...)
with the kick panel speakers does it interfere with the emergency brake at all? it looks so close! it also looks like you can run a 5.25 mid base with a tweeter componenet speaker system there.

Last edited:
Back